Save big on your commute! State cuts public transport fares down to 50 cents

Attention commuters—your travel costs are about to get much cheaper!

In a move that's sure to bring a smile to the faces of many, Queensland has introduced a game-changing initiative that could revolutionise the way we think about commuting.

It’s a decision set to alleviate not just congested roads but also the cost of living pressures that have been weighing heavily on Queenslanders.

Premier Steven Miles announced the six-month trial, where public transport fares will be reduced to 50 cents across the state. This will commence on 5 August and potentially save Queenslanders substantial sums of money.

This ‘almost free’ initiative applies to all Translink services and could see individuals reallocating funds typically spent on transport to other essential expenses, providing much-needed relief amidst rising living costs.

shutterstock_1628115628.jpg
Queensland announced that public transport fares will be reduced to 50 cents across the state. Credit: Shutterstock

‘These days, you can't get much for 50 cents,’ Miles said at a press conference.

‘Think of all of those savings on petrol, on car parking, on time stuck in the car when you could instead be reading a book or listening to a podcast.’

The decision to reduce fares comes as public transport usage has struggled to bounce back to pre-pandemic levels, contributing to increased road congestion and frustration for daily commuters.

‘We're hoping that this trial of 50 cent fares will give people a reason to rethink their habits, a reason to go back to public transport when they can, and everyone benefits from that,’ he explained.

Deputy Premier Cameron Dick highlighted the environmental and traffic benefits, estimating that for every bus on the road, approximately 50 cars would be removed, and for each train on a major line, around 600 cars would be taken off the road.

To accommodate the anticipated rise in public transport patronage, resources will be strategically allocated.

Commuters are urged to continue the practice of tapping on and off with their go cards, as this data is crucial for authorities to gauge the trial's success.

Should the initiative prove popular and effective, there's a possibility that the 50-cent fare could become permanent beyond the trial period.

'If it works, then we will look at keeping it,' Miles affirmed.

This comes after South East Queensland phased out Go Cards and will be replaced by a new Translink card system.

The Translink card can be linked to smart devices and will offer faster data processing, enhanced privacy, and advanced data security features.
Key Takeaways
  • Public transport fares in Queensland have been reduced to a flat rate of 50 cents across all Translink services for a six-month trial.
  • The initiative, announced by Premier Steven Miles, aims to reduce road congestion and assist with the cost of living.
  • The reduced fare is expected to save commuters significant amounts of money and encourage the use of public transport.
  • Authorities will assess the success of the trial, with the possibility of making the 50-cent fare permanent if it proves effective.
Do you take public transportation? Will you be taking more buses and trains after this announcement? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Great for the South East corner and all the city folk. The rest of us living in regional and rural Qld get no or very little benefit. Perhaps Qld Government could provide a cash splash to the rest of us to cover cost of travelling to and from work, attending medical appointments or doing the weekly shop!
Rather clever way for Premier Miles to garner votes for coming election later this year..😳

On the Gold Coast it's very hard to use public transport because of time tables to far apart in a lot of areas they are an hour and a half apart so being a pensioner, two get to an 8 30 appointment you have to leave home at ungodly hour and same getting home recently had appointment at Robina Hospital could not take car because of procedure, Palm Beach 6am departure house and ten trip stopping all stops missed return by 5mins , one hour at Hospital got home 2 30 pm, Big day nobody on bus, I don't know why they don't use smaller busses, save tax payers money . This trip is twenty minutes tops in 🚗

I feel for everyone who has to travel long distances to get to appointments etc. Launceston is such a small city that usually we can get where we’re going in 10 to 15 minutes. Last year when my husband had several surgeries & constant medical & radiation appointments we could leave home & be parked (hopefully) within ten minutes. We have a Metro bus service, which we’re told is amazing 🤣, but I wouldn’t like to rely on It to get anywhere. I hope this fare reduction helps people who rely on buses, trains etc.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
Seniors can get free Translink travel, except it's only between 8.30am to 3.30pm (off peak times). Now, it's 50 cents for peak times. If people don't have a pension/senior's, student's card it's very costly, so 50 cents is welcome imo.

Just an Election sweetener by a Premier who had no idea.
Trying to reduce traffic on GC to Brisbane highway (slowway), but trains are already overcrowded and problems in Brisbane because of Cross River rail development. As usual this has nit been thought out on what could be a good idea.

It is a con for the upcoming election.
They are using mining royalties to pay for this. Royalties that are meant for future generations to provide state infrastructure. Not cheap election stunts.
If you all uses inexpensive public transport you need fewer multi-highways on which to get stuck in traffic jams.

What a pre-election con!

I'm happy for the commuters that will benefit from this, but here (not too far from Brisbane), it won't help us at all.

Also, I hope provision is being made for additional parking at the stations...

Reactions: Mina vriesekolk
Just a vote bribe which will send QLD into more debt. These ALP people really do not have any ides how to run a council, state or country. We are truly F%^KED unless we allow the adults to start running the country by voting these fools OUT!!

Reactions: Leenie
As soon as I saw the headline, I knew without opening it up, that it wasn't the Victorian government.
Miles is just following the Andrews campaign policy and we all see what it has done to the once leading state of Victoria. Being an ex Victorian during the good times, it breaks my heart to see Victoria deteriorate to the worst state during the current government. Qld is now racing to beat Vic in this department!!

Just a vote bribe which will send QLD into more debt. These ALP people really do not have any ides how to run a council, state or country. We are truly F%^KED unless we allow the adults to start running the country by voting these fools OUT!!
Totally agree.

What would be really good if Whingerfoolli could give us some policies instead of whinging like a fool.

Last edited:
This is just a joke , 50 cents for a train fare ! They will put up the rates , insurances etc , the money has to come from somewhere and it does not come out of Labour’s back pocket . The money could have been better spend for healthcare /hospitals /ambulance , also housing , youth crime , violence , police force . It’s all talk but nothing been done .
By the way , I do have a senior card and get only a little bit of discount for transport in off peak hours , but absolutely not free.