Sardine pasta with crunchy parsley crumbs

shutterstock_2080152592.jpg
Credits: Shutterstock
Sardine pasta is a popular dish in many parts of the world, including Italy, Portugal, and Spain. The dish is traditionally made with fresh sardines, but canned sardines can also be used. Sardine pasta is typically made with a tomato-based sauce, and the sardines are usually fried before being added to the pasta. The dish is often garnished with parsley and bread crumbs.

This dish is both flavourful and healthy as it is high in protein and healthy fats. Sardines are a good source of protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and calcium, while tomato sauce is a good source of lycopene, a phytochemical with antioxidant properties.

Ingredients:

-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1/2 cup bread crumbs
-1/4 cup parsley, chopped
-1 can sardine, drained
-1/2 onion, chopped
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
-1/2 cup tomato sauce
-1/4 cup white wine
-1/2 pound pasta
-Salt and black pepper to taste

Directions:

1. To make the breadcrumbs, heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over low-medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and cook, stirring, until they start to turn golden. Add another 1 tsp of olive oil and the garlic. Cook, stirring, for a moment, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.

3. Heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the sardines, onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes—Cook for 5 minutes, or until the sardines are cooked through.

4. Add the tomato sauce and white wine to the skillet. Bring to a boil.

5. Meanwhile, add the pasta to boiling water and cook following pack instructions.

6. Add the cooked pasta to the skillet—Cook for 5 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked through.

7. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.

8. Serve the pasta with the bread crumb mixture.

To make this dish special, try using fresh sardines instead of canned ones. Fresh sardines will give the dish a more intense flavour. You can also try using a different type of pasta, such as whole wheat pasta or pasta made from quinoa or other grains.

This dish is perfect for a weeknight meal and can be made ahead of time and reheated. Try Sardine pasta the next time you want a quick and easy dinner packed with flavour.

Sponsored
I saw a can of boneless sardines the other day. That's the only way I could stomach this dish although I bet it's very tasty and full of flavour.:)

A winter school holiday speciality my children adored used to be a toasted English muffin spread with mashed sardines (bones and all), grilled under the griller until hot, with a touch of salt and pepper for taste.
So yummy, filling and nutritious

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
my Son (Chef) said he could not include this dish on his menu…But he prepared it in my Home for our Sunday night Family Dinner. Boy what a winner. Delish! All 10 of us agreed. Had to adjust the Amounts just a tad.

Reactions: Ricci