Samantha Mostyn appointed Australia's next Governor-General

Australia is set to welcome a new face to one of its most prestigious roles, as Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has announced Samantha Mostyn as the country's next Governor-General.

This appointment marks a significant moment in Australian history, with Mostyn becoming the 28th Governor-General, and only the second woman to ever hold this esteemed position.

Samantha Mostyn's name may already be familiar to many Australians, particularly those with an interest in business and sports.

As a trailblazing businesswoman, Mostyn made her mark as the president of the non-profit organisation Chief Executive Women, and has the notable distinction of being the first female AFL commissioner.

Her influence extends beyond the boardroom and the sports field, as she was recognised for her contributions to the nation with an Officer of the Order of Australia in 2021.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 075239.jpg
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced Samantha Mostyn as the new Governor-General of Australia. Credits: YouTube / ABC News (Australia)

Prime Minister Albanese expressed his confidence in Mostyn, describing her as 'an exceptional leader who represents the best of modern Australia’.

‘She has lived her life in the service of a powerful Australian principle when more people have the opportunity to fulfil their potential, our nation is a better place.’

Mostyn herself expressed a deep sense of honour at the invitation to serve as Governor-General.

‘I will never underestimate or take for granted the expectations that come with high office, and I am ready to serve with integrity, compassion, and respect,’ she declared.

Her upbringing as the daughter of an Australian Army officer has imbued her with ‘resilience’, a quality that will undoubtedly serve her well in her new role.

‘My parents instilled us the values in which they lived consistently—generosity, care for others, respect, curiosity, being of service to society, and always humility,’ she said.

The transition to the new Governor-General will take place on July 1 this year at Parliament House, where Mostyn will replace the current Governor-General, David Hurley.

Albanese has taken the opportunity to thank Hurley for his 'outstanding' service.

‘David Hurley has done his duty with dignity, humility, and great respect for the country that he has served, and the country that he loves so deeply,’ he said.
Key Takeaways
  • Samantha Mostyn will be the next Governor-General of Australia, as announced by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.
  • King Charles III has approved Mostyn's appointment to the role.
  • Mostyn, a distinguished businesswoman and the first female AFL commissioner, will begin her term on July 1, replacing David Hurley.
  • Mostyn expressed being deeply honoured by the appointment and is committed to serving with integrity, compassion, and respect.
What do you think Samantha Mostyn's leadership will bring to the role of Governor-General? How do you feel about the increasing representation of women in high office? Join the conversation and let us know your views in the comments below.

Sponsored
Congratulations, Male or Female makes no difference to me. The position is a very high and demanding one and needs to do it with respect and demands respect. So long as the person will and fulfill the position.

Reactions: Littleboy8
She is obviously more than capable. Her military background is also a benefit. Hoping she does not get mesmerized by the Dark Side that has corrupted Australian Politics (ie the ALP, LNP, and Greens).
Hope she sacks the PM next week......

Reactions: DrivingGirl
Wait an see if she apoints albo into secret portfolios as the last political pawn did with morrison and was never held to count

Reactions: Squizzy1
There are many other more deserving people who could fill this post. As usual it is someone involved with sport, specifically the AFL(VFL). Why do we give these important roles to people whose main reason for being asked is that they were high up in footy. Yes she has been involved in business but I don’t know her name in relation to that field. In fact I’d never heard of her until toady. Why aren’t we asking more of our veterans and top business leaders to fill this role ? She is not a top business person. This smacks of more jobs for the girls/woke. Time will tell.

Why we need so many GGs and Gs is beyond me, we have technology now, can't we go straight to the Queen or an Officer of in the UK?

There are many other more deserving people who could fill this post. As usual it is someone involved with sport, specifically the AFL(VFL). Why do we give these important roles to people whose main reason for being asked is that they were high up in footy. Yes she has been involved in business but I don’t know her name in relation to that field. In fact I’d never heard of her until toady. Why aren’t we asking more of out veterans and top business leaders to fill this role ? She is not a top business person.
Yes, heaven forbid such a position should go to a virtual commoner, and a woman at that.

She is obviously more than capable. Her military background is also a benefit. Hoping she does not get mesmerized by the Dark Side that has corrupted Australian Politics (ie the ALP, LNP, and Greens).
Hope she sacks the PM next week......
We can only hope but she wouldn’t have been given the job if she was at all anti Labor.

Good luck. With her lawyer background, she also doesn't look like a pushover with that chin. Her hubby is a human rights barrister, so she'll be treated well.

Reactions: Lolali
I have nothing against women BUT I dont like them being used to obtain votes which is all this appointment is at best.
Agreed. A woman involved in footy! Never heard her name in high level business! We will see just how Labor she is.

Why we need so many GGs and Gs is beyond me, we have technology now, can't we go straight to the Queen or an Officer of in the UK?
Unfortunately all the technology in the world won't let you contact the queen!!! maybe you could try a seance.

I'm all for more women being chosen for positions that were once the preserve of men, but not because they espouse the political views of the incumbent government. The Governor General is the representative of the King in Australia, and as such is required to be politically neutral, and in fact needs to stay right out of politics.

Those who've been following this story will know that this woman is anything but politically neutral. Prior to Albanese announcing her appointment, she deleted ALL her social media accounts. However, some of her posts on Facebook and X have surfaced and I've seen posts commiserating with Aborigines on Australia Day using the term 'Invasion Day'. Another post showed that she has no doubt that 'climate change' is caused by evil humans. I look forward to her being abstemious with her use of transport and many other things during her term.

This federal government has made a complete mockery of impartiality in many areas, not least with this appointment. As long as Albanese's at the helm, jobs for the boys - and girls - is alive and well.

CONGRATULATIONS SAMANTHA.

SOMETIMES THE BEST MAN FOR A JOB IS A WOMAN!!!

I am all for the fact a woman has been placed in this position. Samantha is only the second female appointed to this position. Of 28 GG's 26 GG's have been men. More than a bit lopsided. She has many feathers in her cap & l believe before passing judgement on this lady based on whether she belonged to a football club or anything else she should be allowed to settle into the job & then make comments based on seen performance & decisions.

Reactions: Penny4
I'm all for more women being chosen for positions that were once the preserve of men, but not because they espouse the political views of the incumbent government. The Governor General is the representative of the King in Australia, and as such is required to be politically neutral, and in fact needs to stay right out of politics.

Those who've been following this story will know that this woman is anything but politically neutral. Prior to Albanese announcing her appointment, she deleted ALL her social media accounts. However, some of her posts on Facebook and X have surfaced and I've seen posts commiserating with Aborigines on Australia Day using the term 'Invasion Day'. Another post showed that she has no doubt that 'climate change' is caused by evil humans. I look forward to her being abstemious with her use of transport and many other things during her term.

This federal government has made a complete mockery of impartiality in many areas, not least with this appointment. As long as Albanese's at the helm, jobs for the boys - and girls - is alive and well.
Agree with all you have said!

Reactions: Joydie
There are many other more deserving people who could fill this post. As usual it is someone involved with sport, specifically the AFL(VFL). Why do we give these important roles to people whose main reason for being asked is that they were high up in footy. Yes she has been involved in business but I don’t know her name in relation to that field. In fact I’d never heard of her until toady. Why aren’t we asking more of our veterans and top business leaders to fill this role ? She is not a top business person. This smacks of more jobs for the girls/woke. Time will tell.
As much as I agree with your sentiments on her appointment, I’ll just give you a bit of info about her, if that’s okay. She’s a lawyer who worked in Paul Keating’s office back in the 90s. She’s been on the board of many companies, and currently sits on the boards of Mirvac, Trans Urban, GO Foundation, Virgin Australia and the Sydney Swans. She also served on the board of Optus after leaving Paul Keating’s employment.

Like all Albo’s lackeys, she's a republican! How in god's name can we be saddled with an anti monarchist representing the monarchy? You seriously couldn't make it up!

Reactions: Graham12