Safety experts warn against this phone charging habit. Do you do this too?

We’ve all been guilty of simultaneously using and charging our phones while lying in bed. But did you know that this seemingly “harmless” habit can be potentially very dangerous, especially when you leave your device charging on your bed after falling asleep?

Safety experts from the Facebook page CPR Kids shared photos showing what could happen if you fell asleep without putting your phone away from the bed (or any flammable materials). Yikes!

KknveG5aMDMKtMbJss-TTc0D6aYmrPJRfnS-aZmHg8wwRg8_Ca4mu2QiZhuilXloFSoZ6V-dHfaRsvQP4lQXiUfBbETUXo5dM3EHNd7L6SpMwyL6der-9bLnQE5Xka6AyymmieO0

A defective iPhone cord left burn marks on the bedsheet. Credit: CPR Kids.

The Facebook page showed photos of a white bedsheet with scorch marks. The culprit? A visibly burnt and damaged iPhone cable.

“Did your children receive a tablet or phone for Christmas? Make sure that they never charge electronics in bed - teach them to follow manufacturers' guidelines,” they wrote in the caption.

“Charge on a flat surface with no flammable materials around, make sure there are no foreign objects in the connector or plug, and avoid cheap accessories such as cords.”

The safety experts warned against leaving heat-prone devices such as phones, chargers, power banks, and cords on the bed. Bedding materials such as mattresses and blankets are highly flammable, and we’re pretty sure no one wants to wake up to the smell of burning fabric.

“Also, it is important to check that cords are always in good condition and dispose of any that show signs of wear and tear,” they added.

“Damaged cords and charging in unsafe conditions can pose an electrocution and fire risk. And always keep cords out of reach of little ones!”

Of course, we adults should take note of the advice as well.

The post has been shared more than 400 times, with many Facebook users and parents alike tagging their family members to read the precaution.

“Geez, that’s scary,” wrote one user, while another said, “Wow, thanks for that info!”

One woman from Sydney even tagged her husband and said, “I keep telling you not to do this.”

If you have been in the habit of leaving your phone on your bed (or on any flammable material) unattended while charging, please be more careful. We’re currently in the middle of summer, and temperatures are not fire-friendly.

We suggest having a handy fire extinguisher around the house just to be safe!

• Wow
Reactions: Athole
Sponsored
I only charge my phone or tablet on a hard surface never in the bedroom, but I do leave the tablet on my bed when finished reading but will think twice about that now, you can never be too careful.