Rugby legend Barry John passes away at 79

The world of rugby union is in mourning following the death of one of its most iconic figures, Barry John, who passed away at the age of 79.

Known as 'The King' in the rugby world, his passing marks the end of an era for the sport, leaving fans and fellow players alike to reflect on his remarkable career and enduring legacy.

John’s family confirmed his passing on Monday, February 5.

'Barry John died peacefully today at the University Hospital of Wales surrounded by his loving wife and four children,' the family’s statement read.

'He was a loving dad to his 11 grandchildren and much-loved brother.'

SDC Images (24).png
May Barry John rest in peace. Image sources: @Cardiff_Rugby (left), @lionsofficial (right).

His death comes as a significant blow to the rugby community, particularly in Wales, where he is revered as one of the greatest players to have ever graced the sport.

Born in the village of Cefneithin to William and Vimy John, Barry was one of six children.

All three of his brothers—Delville, Alan and Clive—also played rugby.

He began his career at Llanelli, debuting against Moseley in 1964, two days before his 19th birthday.

In 1966, he was capped by Wales; in 1967, he moved to Cardiff and played alongside Gareth Edwards.

John's career was as illustrious as it was brief.

He won 25 caps for Wales between 1966 and 1972 and played in five Lions Tests on their 1968 and 1971 tours.

His performances on the field were nothing short of mesmerising, earning him his royal moniker from New Zealand journalists after he inspired the Lions' famous 1971 Test series victory against the All Blacks.

His partnership with Gareth Edwards, both at Cardiff and for Wales and the Lions, is still considered one of the greatest half-back pairings in the history of the sport.

Together, they dominated the field, with John's seemingly effortless ability to outmanoeuvre defenders earning him worldwide admiration.

'He is undoubtedly one of the greatest to have ever played the game. He loved Cardiff and loved the city,' Edwards said in his tribute to John.

At the height of his career, John shocked the rugby world by retiring at just 27.

Despite his short-lived international career, his impact on the sport was profound.

He was arguably rugby union's first superstar, a mercurial player whose wizardry gained comparisons with footballing genius George Best.

John's sudden retirement was attributed to the pressures of fame and expectation.

'I was the first rugby pop star, superstar, call it whatever you want,' John once recalled.

'I didn't want to retire, but it was the circumstances. People didn't understand how you had to go to work, how you had to be fit for international-level rugby.'

'I was getting lethargic, tired. You can’t be like that on the international stage, especially at number 10.'

Despite his early departure from the sport, John's legacy is one that most players could only dream of.

His influence on the sport was so profound that his retirement did not diminish his status as a rugby legend.

The news of John's death comes just four weeks after the passing of another star of Welsh rugby's golden era of the 1970s, fullback JPR Williams.

The loss of these two giants of the game in such a short span of time has left the rugby community in a state of shock and mourning.
Key Takeaways
  • Rugby union legend Barry ‘The King’ John has passed away at the age of 79.
  • John was renowned for his role in the Lions' 1971 Test series victory in New Zealand and earned 25 caps for Wales.
  • He formed a legendary half-back partnership with Gareth Edwards.
  • John retired at 27 due to the pressures of fame, leaving behind a legacy of rugby excellence and superstar status.
As we remember Barry John, we celebrate not just his achievements on the field, but also his character, his passion for the game, and his enduring legacy.

His contributions to rugby union will continue to inspire future generations of players and fans alike.

May he rest in peace.

Sponsored
Well that is interesting, we have two Kings in Rugby League. Wally Lewis was always know as the King as far as I know

Reactions: Kalang Girl
Well that is interesting, we have two Kings in Rugby League. Wally Lewis was always know as the King as far as I know
Barry John played Rugby Union not Rugby League.
From one pakeha to another I remember watching him play, and when Llanelli beat the All Blacks, I rang my father {who was from Llanelli} quite excited problem was Dad didn't give two hoots. He never was a rugby fan.

From one pakeha to another I remember watching him play, and when Llanelli beat the All Blacks, I rang my father {who was from Llanelli} quite excited problem was Dad didn't give two hoots. He never was a rugby fan.
Happy Waitangi Day.

• Love
Reactions: Marilynne
I do remember Barry John in the 71 Lions. He was the first player to use round the corner kicking instead of a straight on approach. Rugby onion v NRL, there is no comparison. The reason it's called rugby onion is because it hurts your eyes to watch the crap.