Rugby league legend Wally Lewis demands $18 million from government in brain injury research: ‘It’s our duty to get it right’

The name Wally Lewis is synonymous with rugby league excellence in Australia.

Known as 'The King' for his prowess on the field, Lewis commands respect not just for his sporting achievements but also for his courageous advocacy in the face of personal adversity.

The Queensland rugby league legend has made a heartfelt plea to the federal government to invest $18 million in research on brain injuries, a cause that is incredibly close to home for the former Maroons captain.

Lewis's call to action comes after his own diagnosis of a neurodegenerative condition known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a condition that has no known cure and is associated with repeated concussions and traumatic head injuries.

His condition, which has led to early onset dementia, has stripped away the confidence that once defined his life, both on and off the field.

compressed-Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 8.53.05 AM.jpeg
Rugby league legend Wally Lewis has called on the government to invest funds for brain injury research. Credit: @wally_lewis / Instagram

In a candid and moving speech to the National Press Club, Lewis shared the stark realities of his daily struggles.

‘I once had the confidence in myself to succeed—lead my team to victory, captain my country, remember the strengths and weaknesses of my opposition, organise myself and feel in control of my life,’ Lewis said.

‘Now, much of that confidence has been taken away from me by the effects of Probable CTE Dementia.’

'My everyday life is no longer blessed by confidence in my daily activities. Now, I struggle to accept that it has been filled with fear and embarrassment about how forgetful I’ve become,' he added.

CTE’s symptoms include memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, aggression, depression, and progressive dementia.

Although the condition is most commonly associated with athletes, it's important to note that brain injuries can affect anyone, regardless of age or lifestyle.

Lewis emphasised the need for nationally consistent protocols to prevent, detect, and monitor head injuries, starting from the grassroots level.

'Players need to understand that just because you can’t always see it, like a broken arm, a brain injury needs to be taken seriously,' Lewis stated.

‘It’s not a badge of honour to go back out on the field with a head injury—it’s careless.’

The NRL and AFL have protocols in place for players who suffer brain injuries, requiring them to rest for 11 and 12 days, respectively.

However, Lewis and many others believe that more can be done.

A landmark report into head injuries and concussions in sports has already called on the government to develop a national strategy to reduce concussions in contact sports.

Lewis’ proposed national pilot program aims to support those with CTE and raise awareness about the condition.

He has lived with constant fear and anxiety every day in the wake of his diagnosis.

‘Along with the delivery of this program will come an expectation, especially from parents with kids in sports, that sufficient actions are now being taken to protect their children. It’s our duty to do this and get it right,’ he said.

‘I can’t say it enough—it is preventable. We owe it to our kids.’
Key Takeaways

• Wally Lewis, a Queensland rugby league legend, has called for increased government funding for dementia and brain injury research.
  • Lewis has been diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a neurodegenerative condition linked to repeated head injuries.
  • He emphasised the need for nationally consistent protocols for the prevention, detection, and monitoring of head injuries in sports.
  • Lewis urged the federal government to commit $18m over three years to a national pilot program supporting people with CTE and raising awareness about the condition.
What are your thoughts on Wally Lewis's campaign for brain injury research funding? Let us know in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Entertainers' and actors' worker's compensation is a fuzzy area. From my knowledge, the classification of whether such persons are employed as employees or independent contractors come into play. Unfortunately, it is beyond my sphere of interest and "expertise" and would require more research.
Mine to Vegie,they can look into it themselves.
Have a great day .

Reactions: Veggiepatch