Royal Family member's 'entirely unnecessary' remark irks Prince William

The Royal Family has always been a source of fascination and, sometimes, controversy.

The latest incident involved a seemingly heartfelt note from Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to Prince William's wife, Catherine, the Princess of Wales.

Yet, it's not just the note itself that's caused a stir.

In a public message of support following the Princess's cancer diagnosis, Harry and Meghan referred to her as 'Kate', a name she previously dropped in favour of 'Catherine'.

The message from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex wrote, 'We wish health and healing for Kate and the family, and hope they are able to do so privately and in peace.'

Before her marriage, The Princess of Wales shared that she wished to be referred to by her full name, Catherine.

compressed-royal brothers.jpeg
Royal brothers Prince William and Prince Harry have reportedly drifted away after several issues. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Pete Hancock

Princess Catherine's family members and close friends have respected her request, with the public and the media following suit.

According to reports, Prince William found it 'an entirely unnecessary and deliberate irritation'.

It's not just about a name; it's about respect and courtesy—both vital in personal relationships and Royal conduct.

The use of 'Kate' instead of 'Catherine' was perceived as a subtle dig during a time of hardship.

This incident also highlighted the rift between the Royal brothers, which has widened over the past years.

Prince Harry and Meghan's departure from Royal duties and Harry's memoir Spare, among others, have contributed to the strain.

The use of 'Kate' just became a part of their concerns that need to be addressed.

The Royal family, despite their unique position, continues to deal with relatable family concerns.

In recent news, the Royal Family's annual holiday at the Balmoral Castle saw invitations for several family members.

However, reports stated that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were not included in the guest list.

This debacle is a reminder of the importance of respecting others' wishes, especially when it comes to personal things.

They are humans with preferences that deserve to be acknowledged.

Whether it's sticking to a preferred name or honouring someone's wishes, these small acts of kindness could go a long way.
Key Takeaways

• Prince William was reportedly angered by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex after referring to the Princess of Wales as 'Kate' in a public message
  • Prior to their marriage, Princess Catherine wished to be addressed by her full name instead of her then-nickname 'Kate'.
  • According to sources, Prince William saw this as a lack of courtesy.
  • The strained relationship between the brothers has impacted several Royal events, including their summer holiday at the Balmoral Castle.
What do you think about this continuation of the Royal Rift? Have you ever experienced a similar situation? Share your stories and thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I just wish the whole family would get together under the orders of the King and hug each other, forgive any trespasses (they are the keepers of the faith in the UK), and get back to being the right royal family that Queen Elizabeth II held together for so many years. She and Philip will be stirring in the chapel over this. I am a Royalist and love the Royals but I would truly like to see them in unity not broken as is their current state.

• Love
Reactions: Tervueren and Ezzy
I hate my name shortened. if she wishes to be called Catherine people should respect that. Why the media refer to her as Kate Middleton I have no idea. Middleton was her maiden name so why use it? The media are the absolute pits!

I really do think thst William is playing at being so precious through to entire episode of his brothers departure from Royal Duties. In my opinion William is being blatantly obnoxious and if you have read Harry's book you will notice that all he has done is tell the truth about a squabble that the boys had.
William is the cause of the on going nonsense that prevents Harry from taking his family back home. It is time William grew up.

Prince Harry would not have meant any disrespect. William however is looking for anything that his brother says or does, to find fault with. Get over it William, you childish aristocrat
he really meant the dig - he was toldf by the queen to adress her ascatherine before their wedding ,pure animosity from harry and the vile woman mecan

Last edited:
I really do think thst William is playing at being so precious through to entire episode of his brothers departure from Royal Duties. In my opinion William is being blatantly obnoxious and if you have read Harry's book you will notice that all he has done is tell the truth about a squabble that the boys had.
William is the cause of the on going nonsense that prevents Harry from taking his family back home. It is time William grew up.
harry and me-cans fault

Reactions: magpie1
Seriously!!! At least Harry and Meghan said a get well message. As they are out of the Royal family they probably didn't know the name change.

If the Royals are making a big deal over this then I say get over yourself.

Stop blaming everything on Harry and Meghan.

Gosh to my family and friends I was known as Sue or Suzy. I started using my real name Suzanne at work as it sounded more professional.
When I met new people I used Suzanne .
Now I get Suzanne from friends, Suzy from my aunts and cousins, Sue or Suzy from mum and siblings.

Sister inlaws call me Sue and hubby calls me Sula.

I don't care what they call me, each name reflects didn't times in my life.

Leave Harry and Meghan alone !!!!! I also see alot of faults with Kate and William
they knew harry was told by the queen to call her catherine along with the rest of the royal family , NOT KATE,
harry still acting like a arsehole. since his uncle told him she was used by wienstiencruises and the "island "
that uncle visited., dont marry markle.

What nonsense. As if anyone would know such intimate details about the British royals! Stories made up to sell magazines etc.

Seriously!!! At least Harry and Meghan said a get well message. As they are out of the Royal family they probably didn't know the name change.

Gosh to my family and friends I was known as Sue or Suzy. I started using my real name Suzanne at work as it sounded more professional.
Now I get Suzanne from friends, Suzy from my aunts and cousins, Sue or Suzy from mum and siblings.

Leave Harry and Meghan alone !!!!! I also see alot of faults with Kate and William
If you're going to play ignorant at least get your facts right. Read it again, she changed it BEFORE she was married, she made it known to everyone and EVERYONE in the entire world has gone along with it for 20 years - which was well before Meagain officially showed up, she might have been peering through the fence but she was not part of the family for at least a decade. It's a deliberate slag, they know it and are doing it on purpose. Harry never called her anything but Catherine until that nasty piece of works came along and started dredging up ancient belittling names, lying about EVERYTHING. Making Catherine cry during the wedding rehearsal and on the day. Karma came around though and Meagain looked awful, her hair wasn't done any differently to any other day, the dress looked like something 2 sizes too big picked off the rack in a hurry, it didn't suit her, it was miles too big, ugly and in fact was perfect for her. I suspect he real one was damaged on the day by one of her tantrums.

The two American numbnuts will never be left alone, there's no apology in the world that could save them. They've lied through both sides of their face, they've been caught, Meagain (and yes that should be her official name) can't even find a family member who likes her. Her mother is only hanging around for all the free stuff, hmm the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Honestly, if they both fell off the planet it would be the best thing for the entire world.

You can't say "Leave us alone" and then stick your head in front of every camera and microphone you see. Sadly Harry is starting to wake up to what he has done, he's never looked so miserable. It's only the kids keeping him tethered to his anchor.

Really…….. I think William needs to get over it, Harry has always called Kate, Kate, William’s just making a big deal about nothing anything to continue the feud. I just don’t understand why they don’t just shake on it seriously why are they fighting in the first place? Just because he left the family to go to another country? Is it really all that bad? Charles and William need to put on their big boy pants and grow up. So Harry is upset and wrote a book about it. Boo-hoo Harry needs to get over it too. Megan needs to pull her head in. Megan needs to stay the hell out of their lives. This is between the brothers and the father not her.

• Love
Reactions: Coralea
If you're going to play ignorant at least get your facts right. Read it again, she changed it BEFORE she was married, she made it known to everyone and EVERYONE in the entire world has gone along with it for 20 years - which was well before Meagain officially showed up, she might have been peering through the fence but she was not part of the family for at least a decade. It's a deliberate slag, they know it and are doing it on purpose. Harry never called her anything but Catherine until that nasty piece of works came along and started dredging up ancient belittling names, lying about EVERYTHING. Making Catherine cry during the wedding rehearsal and on the day. Karma came around though and Meagain looked awful, her hair wasn't done any differently to any other day, the dress looked like something 2 sizes too big picked off the rack in a hurry, it didn't suit her, it was miles too big, ugly and in fact was perfect for her. I suspect he real one was damaged on the day by one of her tantrums.

The two American numbnuts will never be left alone, there's no apology in the world that could save them. They've lied through both sides of their face, they've been caught, Meagain (and yes that should be her official name) can't even find a family member who likes her. Her mother is only hanging around for all the free stuff, hmm the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Honestly, if they both fell off the planet it would be the best thing for the entire world.

You can't say "Leave us alone" and then stick your head in front of every camera and microphone you see. Sadly Harry is starting to wake up to what he has done, he's never looked so miserable. It's only the kids keeping him tethered to his anchor.

Ginger and Whinger...??

Since the request for her name was before her marriage Harry would have known and Catherine would have been introduced to Megan as that so there is no doubt it is a deliberate disrespect by Megan. But having said that William and Catherine have far more serious concerns to be focused on and just need to walk the high road.
I read somewhere after her name change family still called her Kate !

Reactions: Tervueren