Rock legend Jimmy Barnes' wife falls victim to pickpockets in Europe

Travelling abroad sounds like a dream, doesn't it? Jetting off to foreign countries, experiencing new cultures, sampling different cuisines, meeting people from all walks of life, and immersing yourself in the colours and rhythm of the region.

However, as Jimmy Barnes' wife Jane found out, it's not always smooth sailing (or flying, as the case may be).

Australian rock legend Jimmy Barnes, 67, recently took to social media to narrate a rather unpleasant experience.

As the charming couple travelled around Europe, soaking in the beauty and grandeur, they were dealt a blow of reality by some crafty pickpockets.

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 2.09.34 PM.png
Jimmy Barnes has revealed his wife Jane was robbed while on holiday in Europe. Credit: Instagram/jimmybarnesofficial.

With a career that took off in the 1970s, Barnes has been serenading us with hits for decades, but the incident that occurred recently is surely off-beat.

His wife, Jane, found herself on the wrong note when she came to the grim realisation that her phone and some euros had vanished from her bag.

Jimmy shared a photo of Jane, post-incident, holding a shiny new phone. 'Jane's phone and some euros got pinched out of her bag. The good news…it's all insured. While she lost all her photos, her favourites are posted on socials.'

'She's back in action with a new phone and an eSIM, thanks to our high-tech family and help back home,' Jimmy Barnes announced on his Instagram page, instantly gathering the sympathy and support of the thousands of fans.

The incident happened whilst the couple was in Greece, amidst the picturesque backdrop of ancient ruins and cerulean seas.

Fans quickly gathered in the virtual world to express their sympathy. Comments ranged from outpourings of concern, shared experiences of similar misfortunes, to words of encouragement urging the couple not to let the incident dampen their holiday spirit.

This story serves as a friendly reminder for all of us to keep our belongings safe and secure, even while enjoying our well-deserved trips abroad. Whether we're in Australia or exploring foreign lands, it's always better to err on the side of caution.

After all, who wants to deal with the hassle and expense of losing our gadgets and personal items?

Despite some hiccups, this couple's holiday spirit remains unshaken. They're still having a blast on their European adventure, and Jane, being the social media guru she is, keeps us updated through her Instagram posts.

In fact, she recently shared a heartfelt appreciation post, thanking everyone who lent a helping hand during their little ordeal. It's truly heart-warming to see how they're making the most of their holiday despite the setbacks.

Jimmy and Jane Barnes have been happily married since 1981, and their joyous union has blessed them with four beautiful children: a son named Jackie and three lovely daughters named Mahalia, Eliza-Jane, and Elly-May.

This trip abroad came as a treat for Jimmy, who had undergone major hip surgery back in December. After a successful recovery, he excitedly shared the news in February that he had received the medical all-clear to travel.

Key Takeaways

• Jimmy Barnes' wife, Jane, was robbed by pickpockets during their European holiday, losing her phone and money.
  • Despite the incident, she managed to replace her phone and covered the loss through her insurance.
  • The couple was in Greece when the robbery happened, and fans expressed their sorrow and shared their own experiences with pickpocketing incidents.
  • Their European holiday comes after Barnes had major hip surgery in December and was given the medical all-clear to travel in February.

Never let setbacks ruin the overall experience. After all, what is a journey without a few memorable stories in your travel diary? Just don't let pickpockets write a chapter you'd rather not remember. Safe travels, folks!

We're curious, have you ever encountered any unfortunate incidents while travelling, either abroad or within Australia? Feel free to share your stories in the comments—we're all ears and eager to hear from you!

Sponsored
When I was teaching English in China in 2004 the major disappointment was the fact that the Chinese teachers refused to teach us any Chinese words at all so we were unable to communicate with anyone outside ourselves or outside the school. This caused many problems for us like the time I got bronchitis & had to go to a hospital where they wanted to keep me in. After seeing the way they had unsterilized needles for drawing my blood I refused on the grounds that I didn't have knowledge of the language. I don't eat rice either & know the Chinese eat it at every meal. Also, there was the day when the kids & teachers all went to a theme park we were not told of the outing so we didn't take our cameras with us & we missed out on multitude of good pictures to show when we went home. When the organisation that had placed us in China wanted to use us as promotion fodder we were told days ahead so we were prepared for it. That was fine until the day we went up the mountains to a rest house /come restaurant when we were stopped halfway up the mountain by armed soldiers & made to get out of the bus & walk half a mile up the mountain & then re-enter the bus. This was supposedly because the road was in bad repair, but I think it was just so the soldiers could put the wind up the Aussies. I must admit to feeling safe there because I was both anonymous & Famous being so different from the general public.

When I developed bronchitis in China that was only the second time I had had it since leaving England where I used to get it every 6 weeks or so. In fact, I have only had it once more since then when we first moved into this house 14 years ago. That is only 3 times in 42 years.

• Sad
Reactions: Macarj
I went to Europe with 4 other young teachers in 1985 and we had one robbery and one attempted robbery! At Warsaw train station we were robbed by a very efficient group of gypsies, and my friend had her handbag taken. It contained her passport among other valuables, and we were on a train heading to Ukraine, which in those days was still part of the USSR, not somewhere you want to be without a passport! Thankfully the thieves threw her handbag back on the train (a conductor found it) with her passport inside, but minus all her cash and traveller's cheques (remember those?). She had her traveller's cheques replaced when we got to Austria, they couldn't do anything within the USSR. Then in Italy we were asleep in our train cubicle and some guy climbed over us and started rummaging through our bags overhead! We had to scream at him and kick him to get rid of him! He was trying to steal my friend's new video camera.

When I developed bronchitis in China that was only the second time I had had it since leaving England where I used to get it every 6 weeks or so. In fact, I have only had it once more since then when we first moved into this house 14 years ago. That is only 3 times in 42 years.
I've never had Bronchitis, don't think I want it

When I was teaching English in China in 2004 the major disappointment was the fact that the Chinese teachers refused to teach us any Chinese words at all so we were unable to communicate with anyone outside ourselves or outside the school. This caused many problems for us like the time I got bronchitis & had to go to a hospital where they wanted to keep me in. After seeing the way they had unsterilized needles for drawing my blood I refused on the grounds that I didn't have knowledge of the language. I don't eat rice either & know the Chinese eat it at every meal. Also, there was the day when the kids & teachers all went to a theme park we were not told of the outing so we didn't take our cameras with us & we missed out on multitude of good pictures to show when we went home. When the organisation that had placed us in China wanted to use us as promotion fodder we were told days ahead so we were prepared for it. That was fine until the day we went up the mountains to a rest house /come restaurant when we were stopped halfway up the mountain by armed soldiers & made to get out of the bus & walk half a mile up the mountain & then re-enter the bus. This was supposedly because the road was in bad repair, but I think it was just so the soldiers could put the wind up the Aussies. I must admit to feeling safe there because I was both anonymous & Famous being so different from the general public.
No matter where you travel TEMPTATION (by someone) is not far behind or in front of you. ALWAYS keep your backpack as a ‘FRONTPACK’, in front on your chest and never put any bag down without actually physically holding on to it. We saw gypsies begging with babies inside a McDonalds in Paris and also had one approach us at a railway station in another European city (Brussels, I think). Be aware of your surroundings and be vigilant all times. Not the best way to enjoy a holiday but better than being pick-pocketed or robbed and having a bad and disillusioned experience on a holiday.

Last edited: