Robert Irwin shares heartbreaking family loss: ‘We’re really sad’

The Irwin family, known for their deep connection with wildlife and their conservation efforts, recently shared a touching and sorrowful update with their followers.

Robert Irwin, the enthusiastic and wildlife-loving son of the late Steve Irwin, took to social media to announce the passing of a much-loved member of their family, their pet chicken Nacho.

In a heartfelt video message posted on his social media, 20-year-old Robert expressed the family's sadness over the loss of Nacho, a chicken that had captured the hearts of many Irwin fans.

'Hi guys, very sad news to report. Unfortunately, our gorgeous little chicken Nacho, who I know you all fell in love with, and we love so much, sadly passed away,' he shared with evident emotion.

photo.jpg
Robert Irwin shared the loss of his pet chicken, Nacho. Credit: @robertirwinphotography / Instagram

‘She was a beautiful old chook who lived a lot of great years, and we’re really, really, really, really sad to lose her.’

However, Robert also shared some uplifting news.

The family has welcomed two ‘new members of the Irwin chicken family’, Waffles and Mochi.

He described Waffles as 'the confident one' and Mochi as 'a little bit more mild-mannered,' introducing them with love and optimism for the future.

The video was captioned with a simple yet warm 'Welcome to the family,' signifying that life goes on and the Irwin family’s unwavering commitment to caring for all animals.

The response from fans and followers was immediate and supportive.

Many offered their condolences for the loss of Nacho, expressing their sympathy with messages like 'I’m sorry to hear my brother,' and 'Not Nacho. RIP baby girl.'

At the same time, others celebrated the arrival of Waffles and Mochi with comments like 'Waffles and Mochi are adorable, and I also love their fluffy feet!' and 'Sorry for the loss of Nacho @robertirwinphotography, hope the new arrivals bring you as much joy.'

You can watch Robert’s video below:

Credit: @robertirwinphotography / Instagram

This isn't the first time the Irwins have experienced the loss of a beloved pet. In 2022, they mourned the passing of their pet echidna, a cherished family member for 38 years.

Bindi Irwin, Robert's sister, paid tribute to the echidna as 'the sweetest, kindest, most wonderful echidna you ever did meet. Rest In Peace, angel.'
Key Takeaways
  • Robert Irwin has announced the death of the family's pet chicken, Nacho, who was loved by many of the Irwin family's followers.
  • Nacho was remembered as a beautiful chicken who lived a full life, and the family deeply felt her loss.
  • The Irwins have welcomed two new chickens into their family, Waffles and Mochi, each with distinct personalities.
  • Fans of the Irwins expressed their condolences for the loss of Nacho and shared their excitement over the arrival of the new pet chickens.
Reflecting on the special bond shared with Nacho, the Irwin family’s journey reminds us of the deep connections we forge with our animal companions, echoing the sentiment that love transcends even in moments of loss.

Sponsored
for heavens sake, do we really have to read this tripe? no, I guess not but I did out of curiosity. An old chook, this must be a first. Though in my young years many a chook got its neck wrung. Those were the days when practical thoughts were used. We just can't win with this family. Please go away.