Robert Irwin responds to ‘nasty’ reports about his relationship with mum Terri Irwin

In the celebrity news, it's not uncommon for the media to spin tales that catch the public's eye, often at the expense of the truth.

Recently, Robert Irwin, the young wildlife conservationist and son of the late Steve Irwin, found himself at the centre of such a media storm.

Reports began circulating about an alleged unhealthy attachment between him and his mother, Terri Irwin, painting a picture of a relationship that was too close for comfort.

But what's the real story behind these headlines?

compressed-Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 8.38.18 AM.jpeg
Robert Irwin hits back over ‘nasty and inaccurate’ stories about his relationship with his mum Terri. Credit: @terriirwincrikey / Instagram

The recent rumours suggested that Terri Irwin was overbearing, particularly after Robert's breakup with his girlfriend, and that his sister Bindi had to intervene.

These stories were fueled by anonymous sources and speculative comments, leading to a narrative that Robert and Terri were inseparable to an unhealthy degree.

However, Robert has responded to these 'nasty and inaccurate' reports, clarifying the nature of his relationship with his mother.

During an interview on The Kyle & Jackie O Show, where he appeared alongside his I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! co-host Julia Morris, Robert addressed the rumours with a mix of humour and candour.

Kyle Sandilands was surprised that Terri did not join Robert in the studio for the interview.

‘Are you saying that the press reports are inaccurate that everywhere you go, your mother’s there?’ Kyle asked.

‘I hear it all the time, but I don’t believe it’s even true.’

He laughed off the idea that press reports could be so off the mark, saying, ‘Who would’ve thought press reports are inaccurate?’

However, Morris passionately defended the Irwin family dynamic.

‘Can I just address that because it drives me absolutely nuts,’ she said on-air.

‘It takes all my strength not to go onto the internet and go absolutely spare every time [Robert and Terri headlines are] written. All I want you to do is every time you see that written that you know, “Terri hangs around”, I want you to go directly to who’s written that story and know that that person hates their parents.’

‘If you’ve got parents as unbelievably awesome as Terri, and you have a great relationship, you want them to be around at all times,’ she added.

‘If you’re trying to hide stuff from your parents, or your parents are constantly badgering or at you, then you don’t want them around, and you can’t get why anyone would want their parents around, you know?’

As Robert and those close to the family attest, the Irwins have always been a tight-knit unit.

Steve Irwin's passing brought them even closer together, a natural response to such a profound loss.

‘I think loss brings a family together like nothing else. People forget,’ he said.

‘I think when we lost dad, our little tight-knit family unit became incredibly tight.’

‘And we travel with the whole family everywhere most of the time. It’s nice.’

The media portrayed Terri's presence during Robert's work commitments, such as on the set of I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! in South Africa was also criticised.

An anonymous producer's comments about Terri giving off 'bringing your-mum-to-school-camp vibes' were met with a defence of the family's approach to working and travelling together.

Social media reactions have been mixed, with some buying into the sensationalised stories.

‘Is Robert and his mother joined at the hip? She is in every pic you see of him,’ one person said.

Another said, ‘He’s 20 now!’

Meanwhile, others have come to the defence of Robert and Terri's relationship.

‘People saying why Robert has he’s mum in so many photos. Remember, every day is precious. Life is fragile. The Irwins, like millions of other families, have experienced loss on a monumental scale,’ one wrote.

‘Steve was larger than life. It’s lovely that they spend so much time with each other. Don’t be so critical,’ another chimed in.

A third added, ‘What is wrong with someone having a close relationship with their mother?’
Key Takeaways
  • Robert Irwin has reacted to misleading reports regarding his relationship with his mother, Terri Irwin, which have been circulating in the media.
  • Julia Morris defended Robert on The Kyle & Jackie O Show, suggesting that criticism stems from an inability to understand their close family bond.
  • The Irwin family, including Robert, Terri, and sister Bindi, have remained very close, particularly after the passing of Steve Irwin in 2006.
  • While some speculation and negative commentary have been directed at the mother-son relationship, many supporters have spoken out in defence of the family's close connection.
Have you ever experienced misunderstandings about your family relationships? How do you maintain a healthy balance between closeness and independence within your family? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored