Robert Irwin gets candid about work at the Australia Zoo and honouring dad Steve

Many of us remember the brave Steve Irwin and his amazing adventures.

Now, his son, Robert Irwin, has courageously taken on his father's legacy at Australia Zoo.

Known for his daring crocodile shows, Robert has stepped into his father's shoes, captivating audiences with his fearless interactions with these formidable reptiles.

However, in a recent interview, Robert made a startling confession about his work at the zoo, admitting that it is 'scary every single time'.

SDC 3.jpeg
Robert, Steve Irwin’s son, has continued his legacy of wildlife conservation. Image source: X/@RobertIwrin.

Born into the Irwin family, Robert has been in the public eye since childhood.

The Irwin family, renowned for their passion for wildlife conservation, have always attracted attention.

'It’s weird, even though I’ve literally been born into it—that Royal Family effect—it still doesn’t make sense,' Robert said in an interview.

'I don’t understand why paparazzi follow me into the grocery store and report on what I buy. Like, who cares?'

Robert was only three years old when his father, Steve Irwin, was tragically killed by a stingray in 2006.

Raised by his mother, Terri Irwin, and alongside his older sister Bindi Irwin, Robert has had to navigate the challenges of growing up without a father.

'When you lose someone like that, and it’s such a public thing—you’re three years old, you’re growing up without a father—it’s incredibly difficult. It is indescribably difficult,' Robert shared.

Despite the challenges, Robert finds solace in people's stories about his father.

'When people come up to me and share a story of when they met Dad, tell me how much his documentary meant to them, I almost feel like I get a little piece of him back.'

'He’s not around anymore to push his message—now it’s my job.'

Robert has taken on the responsibility of continuing his father's mission of wildlife conservation.

However, stepping into the enclosure with the crocodiles, an act that seems so effortless to the audience, is still a nerve-wracking experience for him.

'Mate, it is scary every single time,' he confessed.

'It’s that adrenaline rush that you get, and for me that closeness to my Dad, to my family legacy—I really feel it.'

In September, Robert shared a video of his father that garnered over 20 million views.

The video showcased Robert's talent for feeding crocodiles, a skill he inherited from his dad.

It also featured an old interview of Steve, where he expressed how proud he would be once his children were ready to continue his mission of wildlife conservation.

In the interview, Steve wondered aloud, 'Is there anything in this world that would want to make me give away what I’m doing now?'

He answered his own question, saying, 'Yes, there is. When my children can take the football that I call wildlife conservation and run it up.'

'When they’re ready to run up our mission, I will gladly step aside—and I guarantee you it’ll be the proudest moment of my life—and my job will be done.'

With tears, Steve added: 'Then and only then will I know that I have achieved my ultimate goal: To be able to stand aside and let them run up my mission.'

The video also included footage of a young Bindi and Robert with their father.

It included a poignant scene showing Robert, now grown up, in the same spot at Australia Zoo’s Crocoseum where his father once stood.

You can watch the full video below:

Video source: X/@RobertIrwin.

Robert captioned the video: 'Continuing Dad’s mission will forever be my greatest honour.'

Steve's legacy continues through his family, who have dedicated their lives to continuing his mission. His wife, Terri, and their children, Bindi and Robert, have taken up the mantle of wildlife conservation, working tirelessly to educate the public about the importance of preserving our natural world.

Despite the fear, Robert continues to inspire audiences with his passion for wildlife conservation, proving that Steve's legacy is in good hands.
Key Takeaways

• Robert Irwin has stepped into his late father's shoes, carrying on Steve Irwin's conservation work at the Australia Zoo.
  • Despite looking calm while feeding large reptiles, Irwin admits it is 'scary every single time'.
  • Robert was just three years old when his father died and remembers the experience as 'indescribably difficult'.
  • Robert shared a video that captured 20 million views, featuring old footage of his father discussing how proud he would be when his children took up the mantle of wildlife conservation.
What are your thoughts on this story, dear members? And what’s your favourite memory of Steve Irwin? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Robert has the same passion as his dad. You can tell he loves all animals. He also knows wild animals can be unpredictable and treats them with respect. Steve would be so proud of his children and Terri who has raised two wonderful children into caring adults.

SCARY is GOOD, ... keep it scary, EVERY SINGLE TIME, cause you WILL have your wits about you, ... complacency is when accidents happen. Could this have been the way Steve died? Possibly??
Once you get to familiar with a dangerous thing or operation, thats when things can go wrong.

Reactions: magpie1

Now, his son, Robert Irwin, has courageously taken on his father's legacy at Australia Zoo.

Known for his daring crocodile shows, Robert has stepped into his father's shoes, captivating audiences with his fearless interactions with these formidable reptiles.

However, in a recent interview, Robert made a startling confession about his work at the zoo, admitting that it is 'scary every single time'.

View attachment 36650
Robert, Steve Irwin’s son, has continued his legacy of wildlife conservation. Image source: X/@RobertIwrin.

The Irwin family, renowned for their passion for wildlife conservation, have always attracted attention.

'It’s weird, even though I’ve literally been born into it—that Royal Family effect—it still doesn’t make sense,' Robert said in an interview.

'I don’t understand why paparazzi follow me into the grocery store and report on what I buy. Like, who cares?'

Robert was only three years old when his father, Steve Irwin, was tragically killed by a stingray in 2006.

Raised by his mother, Terri Irwin, and alongside his older sister Bindi Irwin, Robert has had to navigate the challenges of growing up without a father.

'When you lose someone like that, and it’s such a public thing—you’re three years old, you’re growing up without a father—it’s incredibly difficult. It is indescribably difficult,' Robert shared.

Despite the challenges, Robert finds solace in people's stories about his father.

'When people come up to me and share a story of when they met Dad, tell me how much his documentary meant to them, I almost feel like I get a little piece of him back.'

Robert has taken on the responsibility of continuing his father's mission of wildlife conservation.

However, stepping into the enclosure with the crocodiles, an act that seems so effortless to the audience, is still a nerve-wracking experience for him.

'It’s that adrenaline rush that you get, and for me that closeness to my Dad, to my family legacy—I really feel it.'

In September, Robert shared a video of his father that garnered over 20 million views.

The video showcased Robert's talent for feeding crocodiles, a skill he inherited from his dad.

It also featured an old interview of Steve, where he expressed how proud he would be once his children were ready to continue his mission of wildlife conservation.

In the interview, Steve wondered aloud, 'Is there anything in this world that would want to make me give away what I’m doing now?'

He answered his own question, saying, 'Yes, there is. When my children can take the football that I call wildlife conservation and run it up.'

'When they’re ready to run up our mission, I will gladly step aside—and I guarantee you it’ll be the proudest moment of my life—and my job will be done.'

With tears, Steve added: 'Then and only then will I know that I have achieved my ultimate goal: To be able to stand aside and let them run up my mission.'

It included a poignant scene showing Robert, now grown up, in the same spot at Australia Zoo’s Crocoseum where his father once stood.

Robert captioned the video: 'Continuing Dad’s mission will forever be my greatest honour.'

Steve's legacy continues through his family, who have dedicated their lives to continuing his mission. His wife, Terri, and their children, Bindi and Robert, have taken up the mantle of wildlife conservation, working tirelessly to educate the public about the importance of preserving our natural world.

Despite the fear, Robert continues to inspire audiences with his passion for wildlife conservation, proving that Steve's legacy is in good hands.
Key Takeaways

• Robert Irwin has stepped into his late father's shoes, carrying on Steve Irwin's conservation work at the Australia Zoo.
  • Despite looking calm while feeding large reptiles, Irwin admits it is 'scary every single time'.
  • Robert was just three years old when his father died and remembers the experience as 'indescribably difficult'.
  • Robert shared a video that captured 20 million views, featuring old footage of his father discussing how proud he would be when his children took up the mantle of wildlife conservation.
What are your thoughts on this story, dear members? And what’s your favourite memory of Steve Irwin? Share them with us in the comments below!

Going by the headline scary confession, thought he may have preferred some thing different?

View attachment 36650

Key Takeaways

Your Dad would be really proud of you Robert. Both you and your sister.

Going by the headline scary confession, thought he may have preferred some thing different?
Don't worry about it ... that was just the No Idea and Woman's Daze school of journalism taking effect. "Come in, ya galah". Gets 'em in every time.

Reactions: Jan Duncan
SCARY is GOOD, ... keep it scary, EVERY SINGLE TIME, cause you WILL have your wits about you, ... complacency is when accidents happen. Could this have been the way Steve died? Possibly??
Once you get to familiar with a dangerous thing or operation, thats when things can go wrong.
as the old saying goes......Familiarity breeds Contempt.... yet I think that Robert is doing ok.

View attachment 36650

Key Takeaways

Terri kept the business going on the back of their kid's they never had a childhood just used to promote the zoo and what a Steve's dad 🤔hmmm

My children & I took a young female Italian visitor to Australia Zoo many many years ago and Steve was there to do the Croc show. He was telling the audience how crocodiles are very territorial and if you go near their waters edge they will try to attack you. Steve then took off his shoes and went down to the waters edge to prove his point. As Steve splashed at the water with his feet the crocodile took off at a run to attack his SHOES instead. Steve raced back up the hill to chase it away and it retreated so Steve went back to the waters edge again and the crocodile went straight for his SHOES once again. This happened at least half a dozen times before Steve gave up and said "Well obviously you can tell by this croc's behaviour that we feed our animals very well and that he's not interested in me as a meal but in wanting to chew up my very old smelly leather boots instead". Was a day to remember and we still talk about it. The next time I visited the Zoo was for Steve's memorial service.