Robert Irwin and Rorie Buckey are going their separate ways

The Australian wildlife community has been rocked by the news of a split between two of its young stars.

Robert Irwin, son of the late 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin, and his girlfriend Rorie Buckey, niece of the late Australian actor Heath Ledger, have decided to part ways after two years of dating.

The news was shared by Buckey on her social media on Saturday morning, 17 February, with a joint statement from the couple.

'We wanted to share that we have decided to go our separate ways but profoundly appreciate all of the time spent together and wish one another all the very best into the future,' the statement read.

38593-compressed-Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 8.08.44 AM.jpeg
Robert Irwin and Rorie Buckey have gone their separate ways after two years of dating. Credit: @robertirwinphotography / Instagram

The couple further expressed their mutual respect and gratitude for each other, stating, 'We wish to express the gratitude and respect we have for one another as we continue our journeys on different paths.'

‘We won’t be commenting further on this and really appreciate your respect and privacy at this time.’

The young couple, Robert Irwin, 20, and Rorie Buckey, 19, first crossed paths in 2022, but it wasn't until July 2023 that they made their relationship public.

Their relationship was often showcased on social media, with the couple frequently sharing pictures of each other.

Buckey also featured in some of Irwin's viral online videos, further cementing their status as a young power couple in the wildlife world.

In December of the previous year, Buckey announced that she was joining Australia Zoo, a wildlife conservation facility run by the Irwin family.

She updated her social media bio to 'Wildlife Warrior' and expressed her excitement about being part of groundbreaking research on crocodiles in remote North Queensland.

Last month, rumours circulated that the former couple were engaged when Irwin shared a series of heartwarming photos with Buckey while reflecting on 2023.

We wish both Robert Irwin and Rorie Buckey the best in their future endeavours and look forward to seeing their continued contributions to wildlife conservation.
Key Takeaways
  • Robert Irwin and Rorie Buckey have ended their relationship after two years together.
  • The couple shared a joint statement on social media announcing their amicable split and expressing gratitude for their time together.
  • They have requested privacy and will not be commenting further on their breakup.
  • The two met in 2022 and frequently shared pictures and moments of their relationship on social media and announcements related to their work at Australia Zoo.
What are your thoughts on this split, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
They are young and I'm thinking they will go through many more break ups before they find the one.

I'm not sure how many people knew they were even in a relationship.
Not sure how many will even read this article. I only skimped over it.

I heard about it the other day I think on sunrise and thought is this really news worthy 🤔 isn't there better stories out there 🤔

all their yak for tack. anyone with half a brain could have told them this would happen. 19 years of age, just grow up, and I hope it is sometime before we have to look at this face or any other family member.

Does anyone really care, they will surely have many more break ups before they find “the one”. Hopefully we don’t need to get a running commentary every time they start and stop a relationship. All for the publicity.

Reactions: Tamaya
I am sorry they feel it necessary to split but then again they are both young and obviously still good friends which is the main thing.

Reactions: IAN3005
Too much publicity from the media . They were too young to get settled . Hope they enjoy their lives separate.
These days more and more youngsters wait a lot longer before they start a family.

Reactions: IAN3005