Roald Dahl publisher’s crackdown on 'offensive' language receives backlash: ‘Absolutely insane’

In case you missed it, the works of Roald Dahl are undergoing a massive change.

Puffin Books, the publisher of the author’s works, has hired ‘sensitivity readers’ to scan and edit the books to replace language deemed ‘offensive’. (You can read more about it here.)

The Roald Dahl Story Company and Puffin Books are introducing the changes with the help of Inclusive Minds, an organisation of ‘people who are passionate about inclusion and accessibility in children’s literature’.

A spokesperson for Inclusive Minds said they want ‘authentic representation’ through collaborating with the publishing industry and people ‘who have lived experience of any facet of diversity’.

The said changes, according to reports, would see words like ‘fat’ replaced with ‘enormous’, as with Augustus Gloop in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The Oompa Loompas in the story are now gender-neutral ‘small people’ instead of ‘small men’.

In The Twits, Mrs Twit, from being called ‘ugly and beastly’, is now only ‘beastly’.

4999557488_020f02462e_o.jpg
Roald Dahl’s works are being edited to be more inclusive, but the development hasn’t gone over well. Image Credit: Flickr

Characters described as ‘female’ are now termed as ‘woman’, like the ‘most formidable female’ Ms Trunchbull in Matilda, who is now the ‘most formidable woman’.

There are also some instances where parts are entirely scrapped and replaced with new content.

The Centipede in James and the Giant Peach sang in early editions: ‘Aunt Sponge was terrifically fat / And tremendously flabby at that’. The line has apparently been completely removed and replaced with: ‘Aunt Sponge was a nasty old brute / And deserved to be squashed by the fruit.’

Suffice it to say, despite the well-meaning intentions, many people aren’t pleased.

‘This is appalling’

Ninety-eight per cent of respondents in a Daily Mail MailOnline poll agreed that the author’s works should be kept in their original state.

Elsewhere online, British cyberspace erupted with disdain from people who were critical of the move.

‘Write your own books and leave other books alone,’ one mum said in a popular forum for parents. ‘I find the whole thing utterly horrific and shudder to think that there are enough people in the profession to cheer this on.’

Another parent said the move was ‘absolutely insane’.

‘These are children’s books that have been beloved for decades. I won’t be buying the new versions for my two little ones.’

photo-1583468991267-3f068b607ae1.jpg
Parents blasted the editing of Dahl’s works as an absurd move. Image Credit: Unsplash

‘Seems kind of random,’ a third said. ‘Sooner or later, someone with crooked teeth will complain, and they will need to do another reprint.’

Salman Rushdie, the author of The Satanic Verses and Haroun and the Sea of Stories, called the development ‘absurd censorship’ on Twitter.

The discussion has gotten so fierce that even British PM Rishi Sunak has joined the fray!

'When it comes to our rich and varied literary heritage, the Prime Minister agrees with the BFG that we shouldn't “gobblefunk” around with words,’ a spokesperson said, referencing Dahl’s The BFG, which used made-up terms like ‘propsposterous’ to keep readers engaged.

'I think it's important that works of literature and works of fiction are preserved and not airbrushed.’

'We have always defended the right to free speech and expression.'

Back home, many Aussies also shared similar sentiments over the development.

‘Absolutely insane. What an insult to Roald Dahl. His way of writing and use of words is why his books are so damn interesting for kids and even adults. Even my 10-year-old daughter said this was stupid and that if you don't like the words, don't read it!!! Simple, really,’ one mum said. ‘Why does the future of our kids have to be so protected and planned out for them by removing everything that may be offensive? Can they not make their own choices as they grow?’

‘It's life, it will be offensive in ways, but they need to know how to handle that. We are moulding an incredibly soft next generation!’ she added.

Others dismissed the whole thing as another consequence of ‘wokeness’.

‘So do we have to re-write every book ever written pre the “woke brigade”? This is an absolute joke! I’ve proudly read these books to my children, and guess what — they don’t go around calling people fat or skinny! As a parent, I’ve taught them right from wrong,’ another mum said.

Few supporters applaud edits to Dahl’s work

While it may seem that opinions for the move overwhelmingly skew against it, there are a few who have spoken out in support of the measure.

‘I love the Road Dahl books and have started reading them to my 4-year-old, but there are words and phrases used in there that are now understood to be harmful, and I'm pleased that small changes are being made, so they are more inclusive. It also ensures they'll stay loved,’ one mum said on Twitter.

Another mum added: ‘As long as the originals are still available, I'm quite happy to have more inclusive versions to read to my little one. I've been horrified at the content of some things I read as a child, having revisited them as an adult.’

Roald Dahl's Most Popular Books_.jpg
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Matilda are among Roald Dahl's most popular books Down Under, according to Penguin Books Australia. Image Credit: Seniors Discount Club

Amid a fierce outcry, Puffin makes an announcement

Critics of the measure may find their anger assuaged a bit as Puffin Books has announced that it will continue to republish unedited versions of Dahl’s works alongside the controversial new editions, which some have tagged as ‘airbrushed’.

‘We’ve listened to the debate over the past week, which has reaffirmed the extraordinary power of Roald Dahl’s books and the very real questions around how stories from another era can be kept relevant for each new generation,’ Penguin Random House, which Puffin Books operates under, said.

‘As a children’s publisher, our role is to share the magic of stories with children with the greatest thought and care. Roald Dahl’s fantastic books are often the first stories young children will read independently, and taking care of the imaginations and fast-developing minds of young readers is both a privilege and a responsibility.’

‘We also recognise the importance of keeping Dahl’s classic texts in print. By making both Puffin and Penguin versions available, we are offering readers the choice to decide how they experience Roald Dahl’s magical, marvellous stories.’

Well, at least there’s an option for everyone!

We understand this is a divisive matter for many, so we want to ask you: what are your thoughts on this?

Do you agree that Roald Dahl’s works — and many other pieces showing ‘dated’ and potentially politically incorrect language — should be edited to be in keeping with modern times?

Or should these classic works be left as they are?

Tell us your thoughts below!

Source: YouTube/Telling Tales with Carl Ashmore

Last edited:
Sponsored
I remember the time when some idiot wanted to ban Noddy books, because the golliwogs were naughty and that supposedly taught children racial discrimination.
These people need to get a life and stop dictating to others on everything under the sun.
No wonder there's so many 'snowflake kids"around these days.

Reactions: Ricci
Some people seem to want change for change sake. What a time wasting exercise! I reckon these people are trying to undermine all in the past, our society, our history, without putting forward a changed, positive future. Authors and authoresses have chosen styles and vocabulary. Leave them alone!

Puffin Books, the publisher of the author’s works, has hired ‘sensitivity readers’ to scan and edit the books to replace language deemed ‘offensive’. (You can read more about it here.)

The Roald Dahl Story Company and Puffin Books are introducing the changes with the help of Inclusive Minds, an organisation of ‘people who are passionate about inclusion and accessibility in children’s literature’.

A spokesperson for Inclusive Minds said they want ‘authentic representation’ through collaborating with the publishing industry and people ‘who have lived experience of any facet of diversity’.

The said changes, according to reports, would see words like ‘fat’ replaced with ‘enormous’, as with Augustus Gloop in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The Oompa Loompas in the story are now gender-neutral ‘small people’ instead of ‘small men’.

In The Twits, Mrs Twit, from being called ‘ugly and beastly’, is now only ‘beastly’.

View attachment 14639
Roald Dahl’s works are being edited to be more inclusive, but the development hasn’t gone over well. Image Credit: Flickr

Characters described as ‘female’ are now termed as ‘woman’, like the ‘most formidable female’ Ms Trunchbull in Matilda, who is now the ‘most formidable woman’.

There are also some instances where parts are entirely scrapped and replaced with new content.

The Centipede in James and the Giant Peach sang in early editions: ‘Aunt Sponge was terrifically fat / And tremendously flabby at that’. The line has apparently been completely removed and replaced with: ‘Aunt Sponge was a nasty old brute / And deserved to be squashed by the fruit.’

Suffice it to say, despite the well-meaning intentions, many people aren’t pleased.

‘This is appalling’

Ninety-eight per cent of respondents in a Daily Mail MailOnline poll agreed that the author’s works should be kept in their original state.

Elsewhere online, British cyberspace erupted with disdain from people who were critical of the move.

‘Write your own books and leave other books alone,’ one mum said in a popular forum for parents. ‘I find the whole thing utterly horrific and shudder to think that there are enough people in the profession to cheer this on.’

‘These are children’s books that have been beloved for decades. I won’t be buying the new versions for my two little ones.’

View attachment 14640
Parents blasted the editing of Dahl’s works as an absurd move. Image Credit: Unsplash

‘Seems kind of random,’ a third said. ‘Sooner or later, someone with crooked teeth will complain, and they will need to do another reprint.’

Salman Rushdie, the author of The Satanic Verses and Haroun and the Sea of Stories, called the development ‘absurd censorship’ on Twitter.

The discussion has gotten so fierce that even British PM Rishi Sunak has joined the fray!

'When it comes to our rich and varied literary heritage, the Prime Minister agrees with the BFG that we shouldn't “gobblefunk” around with words,’ a spokesperson said, referencing Dahl’s The BFG, which used made-up terms like ‘propsposterous’ to keep readers engaged.

'I think it's important that works of literature and works of fiction are preserved and not airbrushed.’

‘Absolutely insane. What an insult to Roald Dahl. His way of writing and use of words is why his books are so damn interesting for kids and even adults. Even my 10-year-old daughter said this was stupid and that if you don't like the words, don't read it!!! Simple, really,’ one mum said. ‘Why does the future of our kids have to be so protected and planned out for them by removing everything that may be offensive? Can they not make their own choices as they grow?’

‘It's life, it will be offensive in ways, but they need to know how to handle that. We are moulding an incredibly soft next generation!’ she added.

‘So do we have to re-write every book ever written pre the “woke brigade”? This is an absolute joke! I’ve proudly read these books to my children, and guess what — they don’t go around calling people fat or skinny! As a parent, I’ve taught them right from wrong,’ another mum said.

While it may seem that opinions for the move overwhelmingly skew against it, there are a few who have spoken out in support of the measure.

‘I love the Road Dahl books and have started reading them to my 4-year-old, but there are words and phrases used in there that are now understood to be harmful, and I'm pleased that small changes are being made, so they are more inclusive. It also ensures they'll stay loved,’ one mum said on Twitter.

Another mum added: ‘As long as the originals are still available, I'm quite happy to have more inclusive versions to read to my little one. I've been horrified at the content of some things I read as a child, having revisited them as an adult.’

View attachment 14646
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Matilda are among Roald Dahl's most popular books Down Under, according to Penguin Books Australia. Image Credit: Seniors Discount Club

Critics of the measure may find their anger assuaged a bit as Puffin Books has announced that it will continue to republish unedited versions of Dahl’s works alongside the controversial new editions, which some have tagged as ‘airbrushed’.

‘We’ve listened to the debate over the past week, which has reaffirmed the extraordinary power of Roald Dahl’s books and the very real questions around how stories from another era can be kept relevant for each new generation,’ Penguin Random House, which Puffin Books operates under, said.

‘As a children’s publisher, our role is to share the magic of stories with children with the greatest thought and care. Roald Dahl’s fantastic books are often the first stories young children will read independently, and taking care of the imaginations and fast-developing minds of young readers is both a privilege and a responsibility.’

‘We also recognise the importance of keeping Dahl’s classic texts in print. By making both Puffin and Penguin versions available, we are offering readers the choice to decide how they experience Roald Dahl’s magical, marvellous stories.’

We understand this is a divisive matter for many, so we want to ask you: what are your thoughts on this?

Do you agree that Roald Dahl’s works — and many other pieces showing ‘dated’ and potentially politically incorrect language — should be edited to be in keeping with modern times?

why should we change things for all these do gooders. the world is going crazy and things in the past should be left well alone.

Absolutely not. In fact they have already changed the wording for many nursery rhymes. What's wrong with people?
I am sick of all this so called " political correctness'.
Let kids have some fun and fantasy in their lives before they have to face the outside world.
We all know that outside our own bubbles, the world can, and in some places is a tough, horrible, and sad place.
'Political Correctness' is believing you can pick up a Dog turd by the clean end!

• Haha
Reactions: Tugnets37 and Ricci
The political correctness agenda has gone mad. It is set to divide everyone just like the LBTGQ, alphabet people. Stop shoving the lunacy down our throats. It is all about controlling everything we see and hear. That's why main stream media is dead and no one really trusts what is printed in the paper or on the news. In this day and age you have to question everything.
Just look at all the things coming out about the Covid hoax!! They are so sorry they got it wrong but meanwhile the economy is screwed, people are dying from the jab left right and centre and myocarditis is now a commonly used word.
How many of us heard about myocarditis 3 years ago? Not many but now teenagers are getting it and they all just happened to be jabbed.
Please wake up people and read about the agenda of the WEF and Klaus Schwab.
Read George Orwells' book 1984 because this is happening right now.

View attachment 14639

‘This is appalling’

View attachment 14640

View attachment 14646

Censoring classic children’s books to make the language more “woke” is an appalling idea!

View attachment 14639

‘This is appalling’

View attachment 14640

View attachment 14646

What are we turning into. the namby pamby capital of the world.
There should be a "statement" at the front of these books stating that there could be material that may offend certain people and should be up to the individual to read it or not.
Or there could be a "statement" at all book shops about the material in these books.
Leave things alone

Truly, there are so many really important changes to be made. Reworking classics to have sanitised language will make negligible difference to those suffering from mental health issues.

I think it's offensive what they are doing. We should have known it would happen as we have already started rewriting history, removing monuments etc. What with political correctness amongst other things I can only say thank God in 40 years I won't be around.

Political correctness gone MAD. Again.
Where do these people come from? We have already seen them rip apart nursery rhymes and other children's books. When is this lunacy going to stop. If these people think for one minute that these censorships are going to make an once of difference to the way children talk or behave to others as they grow, then they are totally off the planet. If they are worried about censoring things start with video games, TV or even movies. These have a more lasting effect on how children respond to things. If parents don't like something the child has been given to read, they can always take it from them, even if it from their school.
For goodness sake, what are these people going to attack next. THE BIBLE?
People, censor what is written NOW not what has been classics FOR EVER!!!

Reactions: Ricci and Gazman
All in the name of control. Next we will be told what not to think!!!!
The thin edge of a very big wedge.
Even now love reading my 1890 yes 1890 books and all the way up to today. Some even childrens books.
They started with Enid Blyton or am I not allowed to say her name?
Sorry my rant for today.

Reactions: Ricci and Gazman
All in the name of control. Next we will be told what not to think!!!!
The thin edge of a very big wedge.
Even now love reading my 1890 yes 1890 books and all the way up to today. Some even childrens books.
They started with Enid Blyton or am I not allowed to say her name?
Sorry my rant for today.
Actually, it's Noddy and Big Ears we can't mention. Didn't Enid write the "Famous Five"?

Political correctness gone MAD. Again.
Where do these people come from? We have already seen them rip apart nursery rhymes and other children's books. When is this lunacy going to stop. If these people think for one minute that these censorships are going to make an once of difference to the way children talk or behave to others as they grow, then they are totally off the planet. If they are worried about censoring things start with video games, TV or even movies. These have a more lasting effect on how children respond to things. If parents don't like something the child has been given to read, they can always take it from them, even if it from their school.
For goodness sake, what are these people going to attack next. THE BIBLE?
People, censor what is written NOW not what has been classics FOR EVER!!!
Well VeeFar, is there anything we can do about it. It's a world that I'm not too sure I like.

When will ppl realise just because you played with cap guns (Caucasian barbie dolls/whatever) doesn’t make you a shooter, discriminate or be anorexic when adult….
When you start re-writing novels/history books etc however you have left the free world and are on the way to a State-run country

I agree with Ringdragon #25. These Inclusive Minds Organisations, aren"t very inclusive, if it is not inclusive of the stories as written by the Great Masters and authors before these peoples parents were even born.

Well VeeFar, is there anything we can do about it. It's a world that I'm not too sure I like.
Sometimes I think that too. I just hope my grandchildren see a much improved one in their future. But I think I will not see it in my life time.

View attachment 14639

‘This is appalling’

View attachment 14640

View attachment 14646

Teach kids to have empathy and understanding for differences. By removing reference to obesity, disfigurement will lead to further isolation for people with physical disorders. If people don't know how to address eachother then the problems run deeper. Address the problems and issues within the safety of a book where kids can learn to accept and empathise rather than being confronted in real life and not know how to react. This hurts everybody. Those that are supposedly being protected by not acknowledging a condition and who haven't learnt to understand. Let's not teach disfunction and racism by removing reference to the physical differences between people. Let's use opportunities presented in books to learn to accept our differences.

Reactions: VeeFar and Ricci
I re-read my old Enid Blyton books, I loved them as a child but it was such a surprise to re-read them as an adult and discover that the girls were expected to help mother prepare the meals while the boys were allowed out to play or or the boys sat idly by while the girls 'laid the table' for dinner. Would I expect them to be changed to show the boys helping prepare dinner now that we supposedly have sexual equality? Of course not! They show the attitudes of the time, they are history.
The Roald Dahl books are the same. They show attitudes, the vocabulary, the history of the time they were written.
The same snowflake generation that can not string a sentence together unless it is punctuated prolifically with profanities and who cannot express surprise or shock without screaming out the same profanities have their sensibilities offended because of words like fat, flabby and ugly???
I am fat, flabby and ugly and the words do not offend me but listening to the vocabulary of the snowflake generation offends me no end. I vote we ban them from talking.