Risking your health? Study reveals how less sleep could lead to this chronic disease

Disclaimer: This article cannot be considered medical advice. Please consult a medical professional or healthcare provider for medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment.

We all know we need restful shut-eye to stay healthy and get the most out of our days. But did you know that by losing precious minutes of sleep a night, you could be at risk for developing a serious chronic condition?

Recent studies have shown that losing just 90 minutes of sleep a night can significantly increase the risk of type 2 diabetes in women.

The research noted that this is particularly concerning for those who have been through menopause, as the effects are most pronounced in this age group.

According to the study, the connection between sleep and diabetes lies in the body's insulin production. Insulin is a hormone that regulates the amount of glucose in our blood.

compressed-pexels-ron-lach-8527648.jpeg
A study revealed that mild sleep deprivation could increase the risk of type-2 diabetes in women. Credit: Ron Lach/Pexels

When we don't get enough sleep, it stresses the insulin-producing cells, causing them to fail. This failure can lead to type 2 diabetes, a chronic condition where blood sugar levels are too high.

The study showed that even a mild sleep deficit over just six weeks can cause changes in the body that increase the risk of developing this condition. This is a significant finding, highlighting the importance of maintaining a regular sleep schedule for overall health and well-being.

The study focused on women because previous research has suggested that poor sleep may have a greater impact on women's cardiometabolic health than men's. This is due to the many changes women face throughout their lifespan, such as childbearing and menopause, which can all affect sleep patterns.

It involved 38 healthy women, including 11 postmenopausal women, who typically slept at least seven hours each night. Over six weeks, they were monitored using wearable devices while they got adequate sleep, and their insulin, glucose, and body fat levels were measured.

The women were then asked to delay their bedtime by an hour and a half, reducing their total sleep time to around six hours for another six weeks.

The results were startling. Curtailing sleep increased fasting insulin levels by over 12 per cent overall and more than 15 per cent among premenopausal women.

Insulin resistance increased by nearly 15 per cent overall and more than 20 per cent among postmenopausal women.

These findings, published in Diabetes Care, emphasised the significant impact that even mild sleep reduction can have on insulin production and metabolism.

Study leader Marie-Pierre St-Onge of Columbia University explained, ‘Over a longer period of time, ongoing stress on insulin-producing cells could cause them to fail, eventually leading to type 2 diabetes.’

‘The fact that we saw these results independent of any changes in body fat, which is a known risk factor for type 2 diabetes, speaks to the impact of mild sleep reduction on insulin-producing cells and metabolism,’ she added.

Further research is needed to determine whether restoring sleep improves glucose metabolism.

However, for Ms St-Onge, the message was clear: ‘The bottom line is that getting adequate sleep each night may lead to better blood sugar control and reduced risk for type 2 diabetes, especially among postmenopausal women.’

The Importance of Sleep

Sleep is not just a time for rest and relaxation. It's a crucial period when the body repairs itself and prepares for the next day.

Lack of sleep can lead to a host of health problems, including heart disease and obesity. Now, we can add an increased risk of type 2 diabetes to that list.

For those who struggle with getting enough sleep, it's important to establish a regular sleep schedule, create a restful environment, and avoid caffeine and electronics before bed.

5 ways to improve your sleep.jpg

If sleep problems persist, it may be worth seeking professional help.

Ultimately, this study underscores the importance of sleep in maintaining our health. So, ladies, ensure you're getting your beauty sleep—it's more important than you think!

Key Takeaways
  • Not getting enough sleep, losing just 90 minutes a night, can increase the risk of type 2 diabetes in women, according to a study.
  • The research revealed that insufficient sleep can increase insulin resistance, with effects most pronounced in postmenopausal women.
  • The study is the first to demonstrate that mild sleep deprivation over six weeks can lead to changes in the body that increase the risk of developing the condition.
  • The study's leader stressed the importance of adequate sleep for better blood sugar control and reduced risk of type 2 diabetes, particularly in postmenopausal women.

Do you think you get enough sleep at night? Have you experienced health issues due to lack of sleep? Share your experiences and tips for a good night's sleep in the comments below.

• Sad
Reactions: Observer
Sponsored
One of my daughters has been an insomniac for many years. Nothing has helped. She’s been to sleep clinics, does all the “right” things that are supposed to help. Has taken pills in desperation, knowing they don’t give a proper, healthy sleep. Is currently taking melatonin, but it’s hit and miss. Has an extremely busy life but can’t slow down. She’s all but given up. ☹️

• Sad
Reactions: Observer
Yeah, I've heard about how bad it is to skimp on sleep. I actually went through a phase where I was staying up super late every night. Maybe catching only 4 hours of sleep before work. It was rough. I started feeling really sluggish and just out of it most days. My focus was shot and I was grumpy all the time.

So, I decided to change things up. I started going to bed at the same time every night and made my bedroom super cozy for better sleep. I got some blackout curtains and even tried one of those white noise machines. It made a huge difference! I felt more energized and just happier overall.

Last edited: