Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Ripple Boots

compressed-Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 8.46.30 PM.jpeg
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Who here wore ripple boots back in the day? Also known as desert boots, they were an iconic fashion choice among high schoolers and the epitome of ‘coolness’ in the ‘70s. Although they were banned from schools, many Australians loved these boots for their unique style and comfort. Do you have fond memories of these boots? Tell us here.

I wore camel coloured ones and a non ripple sole.
Only Bogs wore black rippled soled DB's at my school.
And the skinheads wore Dr Martins.

WOW , I have to go back a long time . They might have been fashionable in the 70’s in Australia , but I grew up in Europe and it was a must to wear these shoes and that was in 1966 . We called them Dave Berry shoes , he was an English singer and came out of nowhere with this massive song called “ You’ve got this strange effect on me “ . It was written by Ray Davies of the Kinks . So we were wearing Dave Berry shoes and Dave Berry pants , I even got an album , which I sold later on to a neighbouring young fellow , who offered me a good price. Apparently he is still alive and around 82 yrs of age. I have very fond memories of that time. :) .

I think that you may have got your decades wrong. Ripple soled desert boots were the last expression of fashion of the bodgies whose styles transformed into the rockers in the early 1960s. They were usually worn with "pegged" jeans and fluorescent pink or green socks. Ripple soled desert boots were very comfortable to wear and very quiet on the tread so were generally known as "brothel creepers".