SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Suzanne rose

Suzanne rose

Jun 27, 2022
Sydney
Rhubarb Leaves as A pest control in the garden

We all know that rhubarb leaves are poisonous and shouldn't be eaten ...well I hope we all know it.

One thing they are goid for is an insect repellent in the garden .

Rhubarb leaves can be used as an insecticide, as they contain oxalic acid which is toxic to both humans and insects. Pick three or four rhubarb leaves and chop them up roughly. Put some boiling water into a saucepan and add the leaves, then simmer for 30 minutes. Take off the heat and leave to cool.

We use a saucepan that I don't cook in

Screenshot_20230806_103755_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: annieja
Hey, thanks for sharing this cool rhubarb leaf trick for pest control in the garden! I had no idea they could be used that way. It's always good to find natural solutions. I've been dealing with some unwanted guests in my house. I came across one pest control service, but I'm on the fence about trying them out. Has anyone here used their services? Here's the link: ajverminatorpestcontrol.com. Anyway, I appreciate your safety tip about using a separate saucepan for this rhubarb leaf concoction. Safety is key when dealing with toxic substances! I'm going to give it a try in my garden and see if it helps keep those pesky insects away.

Last edited:
Rhubarb Leaves as A pest control in the garden

We all know that rhubarb leaves are poisonous and shouldn't be eaten ...well I hope we all know it.

One thing they are goid for is an insect repellent in the garden .

Rhubarb leaves can be used as an insecticide, as they contain oxalic acid which is toxic to both humans and insects. Pick three or four rhubarb leaves and chop them up roughly. Put some boiling water into a saucepan and add the leaves, then simmer for 30 minutes. Take off the heat and leave to cool.

We use a saucepan that I don't cook in

View attachment 26776
Thanks for the tip. I use a lot of rhubarb. Can't wait to use the new bug killer now.