REVEALED: The BEST and WORST stores to buy electronics in 2022

Today's rising cost of living makes it more important than ever for us to get the most out of our purchases, especially our appliances, which we expect will go the extra mile. And by "extra mile", we mean that it will work well for many years to come.

So if you're in the market for a new appliance, maybe a new washing machine or a brand-new television, then you've come to the right place!

The CHOICE experts recently asked more than 5,000 Australians about their experiences buying electronics online and in stores, and if they were happy with the locations they went to.

Participants were asked to rate the selection of brands and products, price compared to the quality, customer service, delivery, and after-sales support for physical stores.

The same questions were posed to online retailers, along with additional categories for the website's usability, payment methods, and returns policy.

Here are what they have to say!

DBMG3Vi2GXhZAihhBU4Dr0UEf6X5UdtQ7_x5NKd3yhg93WSSAsv_GpZZNKJJv1xFlULa-JD21Z119KWF8D8WECcSC_W3mPRUhi9r7oaHh0UC_A1YKSF376obTo4t1IgePycezVbvpiyShKBLTfw

CHOICE asked more than 5,000 Australians how they felt about buying electronics online and in stores. Credit: CHOICE.

Best instore overall satisfaction – Winning Appliances

With numerous reviews praising its delivery service, selection of products and brands, and after-sales service, Winning Appliances won the coveted top spot. Customers praised Winnings' salespeople as being knowledgeable and helpful, and the company's customer service was also said to be a cut above the rest.

Retravision also had good after-sales service and good value for money. Bing Lee, on the other hand, didn't fare well against Winnings, Retravision, or Betta.

Worst instore overall satisfaction – Kmart

Kmart received consistent lower ratings compared to other stores in almost all categories, except for value for money. Many of the survey participants reported difficulty locating the customer service inside Kmart stores, and the budget retailer also received low scores for its selection of brands and products.

CHOICE has also made note of how some salespeople, particularly those from Harvey Norman, The Good Guys and JB Hi-Fi, push extended warranty offers to customers.

After researching their terms and conditions, the experts at CHOICE found that, in many circumstances, these offers were practically useless. That is why they advise shoppers to take a better look at the Terms & Conditions before they commit to anything.

"Our free consumer rights guides are helpful resources for learning more about extended warranties, along with what to do when you have problems with a product or service," they said.

You can file a complaint with the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) if you believe you were unfairly coerced into accepting an extended warranty.

ki8BPxYalrirIIEnp4VgJRjrJhFJwxtXi3efjJ1IkqqU7dp5nU_eK345EaQjyorpazNNLZ7eDb_iCQMNlUeX1PzhQchpxfaxcP0FyTVVf4v7FHtOW_N_tmjc7HoGqooGDD7JpgJfo81Oa1HBmYg

Credit: CHOICE.

Now, let's move on to the best and worst online electronics stores!

Even though online shopping has grown in the past two years (mostly because of the pandemic), it hasn't yet surpassed shopping in stores as the most prefered way to shop, seeing that over 60% of Aussies still go to stores to buy our new appliances and electronics.

But if you do prefer the online shopping experience, here are what some customers have to say:

Best online shop for overall satisfaction – Appliances Online

Amazingly enough, Appliances Online won every online category in the survey!

Appliances Online received a great deal of positive anecdotal feedback from the CHOICE experts in recent years, and it is impressive that such a young company (it was founded in 2005) has made such strides in the past ten years.

Though it probably helps that its parent company, Winning Group, has been making appliances in Australia for more than a century now.

Worst online shop for overall satisfaction – Dick Smith and Kogan

On the opposite end of the spectrum is Dick Smith, which received a score that is 26 points lower than Appliances Online.

Dick Smith's trademark was recently acquired by Kogan, but consumers continue to use it despite this because of the so-called "halo effect" of brand loyalty that marketers like to tout.

Unfortunately, these customers are still receiving subpar service from Dick Smith.

When it comes to extended warranties sold in online stores, safe to say, the CHOICE experts were pretty "disappointed".

"One of the things we were disappointed to see is how many extended warranties are being sold online using pre-selected checkboxes – a deceptive web design, sometimes also called a dark pattern," they said.

Apparently, most online retailers (even Appliances Online) have pre-selected checkboxes that customers usually "ignore" on their websites. This leads to them having to pay for additional "extended warranty services" without their knowledge.

"While it's not against the law, at CHOICE, we think it's dodgy practice for any industry to use these sorts of deceptive practices to try to impose additional expenses on consumers," they went on to say.

"It's particularly galling when the extra expense is for an extended warranty, a type of product that often just sells you rights that you already have for free under the Australian Consumer Law."

Only three online retailers—Amazon, David Jones, and Myer—do not push unnecessary extended warranties to unwilling customers. Meanwhile, JB Hi-Fi and Harvey Norman pester you about the extended warranty on every page but don't automatically check the box.

FUhpearNlBgzKNDewZqAWRBWAE6odqV-O4_r2bNcCQx9_3jsjopy_Bs228sj7EzEtDhPiDkQyY3E17Yx1lNb-TyJjLSc4h6MGv9ju_W4Rc7mPH50Q1dS2A4oO6cC1XUEreh0iTRL2w32J-Y8G8Q

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you agree with the list that CHOICE has come up with? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
It is difficult NOT to agree with the list that Choice has come up with, after all, they do all the research and get the facts.
So unless I purchase products and deal with each of the retailers, then how can I compare them without any bias? The likelihood of that happening is quite remote as I don't have the need for 16 of any particular appliance.
Any decision I made would be a personal choice based on the purchase I make from ONE retailer.

Today's rising cost of living makes it more important than ever for us to get the most out of our purchases, especially our appliances, which we expect will go the extra mile. And by "extra mile", we mean that it will work well for many years to come.

So if you're in the market for a new appliance, maybe a new washing machine or a brand-new television, then you've come to the right place!

The CHOICE experts recently asked more than 5,000 Australians about their experiences buying electronics online and in stores, and if they were happy with the locations they went to.

Participants were asked to rate the selection of brands and products, price compared to the quality, customer service, delivery, and after-sales support for physical stores.

The same questions were posed to online retailers, along with additional categories for the website's usability, payment methods, and returns policy.

Here are what they have to say!

DBMG3Vi2GXhZAihhBU4Dr0UEf6X5UdtQ7_x5NKd3yhg93WSSAsv_GpZZNKJJv1xFlULa-JD21Z119KWF8D8WECcSC_W3mPRUhi9r7oaHh0UC_A1YKSF376obTo4t1IgePycezVbvpiyShKBLTfw

CHOICE asked more than 5,000 Australians how they felt about buying electronics online and in stores. Credit: CHOICE.

Best instore overall satisfaction – Winning Appliances

With numerous reviews praising its delivery service, selection of products and brands, and after-sales service, Winning Appliances won the coveted top spot. Customers praised Winnings' salespeople as being knowledgeable and helpful, and the company's customer service was also said to be a cut above the rest.

Retravision also had good after-sales service and good value for money. Bing Lee, on the other hand, didn't fare well against Winnings, Retravision, or Betta.

Worst instore overall satisfaction – Kmart

Kmart received consistent lower ratings compared to other stores in almost all categories, except for value for money. Many of the survey participants reported difficulty locating the customer service inside Kmart stores, and the budget retailer also received low scores for its selection of brands and products.

CHOICE has also made note of how some salespeople, particularly those from Harvey Norman, The Good Guys and JB Hi-Fi, push extended warranty offers to customers.

After researching their terms and conditions, the experts at CHOICE found that, in many circumstances, these offers were practically useless. That is why they advise shoppers to take a better look at the Terms & Conditions before they commit to anything.

"Our free consumer rights guides are helpful resources for learning more about extended warranties, along with what to do when you have problems with a product or service," they said.

You can file a complaint with the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) if you believe you were unfairly coerced into accepting an extended warranty.

ki8BPxYalrirIIEnp4VgJRjrJhFJwxtXi3efjJ1IkqqU7dp5nU_eK345EaQjyorpazNNLZ7eDb_iCQMNlUeX1PzhQchpxfaxcP0FyTVVf4v7FHtOW_N_tmjc7HoGqooGDD7JpgJfo81Oa1HBmYg

Now, let's move on to the best and worst online electronics stores!

Even though online shopping has grown in the past two years (mostly because of the pandemic), it hasn't yet surpassed shopping in stores as the most prefered way to shop, seeing that over 60% of Aussies still go to stores to buy our new appliances and electronics.

But if you do prefer the online shopping experience, here are what some customers have to say:

Best online shop for overall satisfaction – Appliances Online

Amazingly enough, Appliances Online won every online category in the survey!

Appliances Online received a great deal of positive anecdotal feedback from the CHOICE experts in recent years, and it is impressive that such a young company (it was founded in 2005) has made such strides in the past ten years.

Though it probably helps that its parent company, Winning Group, has been making appliances in Australia for more than a century now.

Worst online shop for overall satisfaction – Dick Smith and Kogan

On the opposite end of the spectrum is Dick Smith, which received a score that is 26 points lower than Appliances Online.

Dick Smith's trademark was recently acquired by Kogan, but consumers continue to use it despite this because of the so-called "halo effect" of brand loyalty that marketers like to tout.

Unfortunately, these customers are still receiving subpar service from Dick Smith.

When it comes to extended warranties sold in online stores, safe to say, the CHOICE experts were pretty "disappointed".

"One of the things we were disappointed to see is how many extended warranties are being sold online using pre-selected checkboxes – a deceptive web design, sometimes also called a dark pattern," they said.

Apparently, most online retailers (even Appliances Online) have pre-selected checkboxes that customers usually "ignore" on their websites. This leads to them having to pay for additional "extended warranty services" without their knowledge.

"While it's not against the law, at CHOICE, we think it's dodgy practice for any industry to use these sorts of deceptive practices to try to impose additional expenses on consumers," they went on to say.

"It's particularly galling when the extra expense is for an extended warranty, a type of product that often just sells you rights that you already have for free under the Australian Consumer Law."

Only three online retailers—Amazon, David Jones, and Myer—do not push unnecessary extended warranties to unwilling customers. Meanwhile, JB Hi-Fi and Harvey Norman pester you about the extended warranty on every page but don't automatically check the box.

I bought a tv from Kogan. No problems

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you agree with the list that CHOICE has come up with? Let us know in the comments below!

On the topic of extended warranty being asked. I would never say pushed. I had a laptop that was almost 3 years old and it was a pleasure to go back to JB HIFI after ringing claims and getting a store credit for a new one. I had a Breville oracle coffee machine 3 years old and grinder died. Repair extended replaced grinder and also replaced new thermoblock. OH had a Dyson that was repair warranty but could not be repaired for labour cost so I got issued with new model
finally I have found nothing in terms and conditions that make extended warranty unless. Get out and actually use extended warranty CHOICE see for yourself

Reactions: Ricci
I have a Harvey Norman experience. We do extended warranties on big purchases. Our washing machine was having problems with out of balance issues and taking at least 3-5 times to actually get it to go on to do a load. We had 6 months left on our extended warranty. Rang HN and they got on to Product Care. We had an Electrician come and do a report, and then got a call from Product Care to tell us they would be replacing the machine. I also then got a call from HN and was told the washing machine had come in and they could deliver it the next morning. A conversation happened on the phone with the HN person about what we would have to pay (as you get refunded the cost of the machine and not the GST you paid and we still have to pay GST on the new one). So we were charged $120 less than the advertised price for the new machine. We live in a small town and are 24 kms out of town so that's a 48 km round trip to deliver it. They waved the delivery fee of $80 and said it would be free. I then said I'd like to do an extended warranty again to which she said that was fine and told me how much it would be but then said she was going to give us a discount. What a blessing from God. Can't fault our little local HN. They really looked after us with the washing machine. Even the delivery guys were super friendly while they were installing it.

i have dealt with appliances online , deserved #2 great to deal with but Amazon is the worlds gold standard in service . never wait more than 1 minute to speak with a human !!!!!!! and they can all solve problems and queries . 24/7 !!!!!!
my other faves are cash converters and Service NSW

Reactions: Ricci
also had amazing (sorry for the pun) service experiences with Amazon. But at the other end some dreadful experiences with Kogan. For example, a whisk from a stand mixer disintegrated and I sought a replacement. After at least 16 conversations (usually with someone different) I was eventually fobbed off. Not happy ! I like making pavlovas for family and friends at Christmas and New Year. Other Kogan products turned out to be rubbish as well. Don't buy from them and if you do, don't expect any service when something goes wrong.

• Sad
Reactions: Vinylted and Ricci
Have never heard of Winning appliances, where do they hang out? Also, no mention of Joyce Mayne, I know they are owned by Harvey Norman but they are a much better store with caring employees (at least in my experience).:)

Reactions: Jersey Girl
I've had good service with The Good Guys (not listed) Harvey Norman, Appliances on line, and also have never heard of Winning Appliances here in Vic. Billy Guyatts also did not get a mention.

I've had good service with The Good Guys (not listed) Harvey Norman, Appliances on line, and also have never heard of Winning Appliances here in Vic. Billy Guyatts also did not get a mention.
Winning Appliances is Appliances Online in store company . Appliances Online is the best electrical product company I have dealt I updated my TV recently and saved $1,126 on my Samsung 85 inch Tv with free delivery. I previously bought 2 49inch Tv's from them with hundreds of dollars discounts. They take awake your old appliances for free as well. I have bad experiences with Amazon a month back I a driver supposed to deliver two orders at once to my place at the same time . Somehow he failed to deliver one item yet he had scanned it as delivered. When I contacted Amazon I got put through to Washington State call centre . Customer support kept insisting that the driver had delivered my item . I told them that I had got my six cartons of Bundaberg Ginger Beer from the driver but not the other item. I told them that I have video from my Ring Doorbell that shows the driver only delivering six cartons of Bundaberg Ginger Beer. But they wouldn't believe me it took days to get my money refunded grr.

• Angry
Reactions: Vinylted and Ricci