REVEALED: Recipe Queen Elizabeth's royal 'drop scones' pancakes

Royal pancakes, anyone?

In the wake of Queen Elizabeth's passing earlier this month, there has been a renewed interest in traditional royal delicacies. Among these is the royal family's pancake recipe, which was formerly housed in the National Archives.

A Reddit thread brought it back to the spotlight, and now it's likely being prepared for breakfast and brunch all across the world right at this moment.

In the recipe, the pancakes are called 'drop scones’, and a teacup, which is about 6 ounces (or 170 grams), is used as a measuring tool. Here's how you can also make the recipe in your home!

8fU1zav5tNaxs7gkYyACzGtq2c_NNPFFb0qT0MzAReYnV5vpP6O_8PuyEHZ99Y33XeZJNdyov5RZGPqKmDl7OJ1_NjcJjj9boJSPBYUeYhMwxDEf2RADDghLIYFRT0MiqzdMntJln9yJPtqZVRqHWlclU9IiH7121Zanjme6xfxZ6f_9j7JzfAV0QQ

The recipe for Her Majesty's royal pancakes was revealed in a Reddit thread. Credit: Getty Images. (Stock photo)

For the ingredients, you will need:
  • 4 teacups flour
  • 4 tablespoons caster sugar
  • 2 teacups milk
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 2 teaspoons bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
  • 3 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter

And here are the steps to follow:

Beat eggs, sugar, and about half the milk together.

Next, add flour, and mix well together, adding the remainder of milk as required.

Then add the bicarbonate and cream of tartar and fold in the melted butter.

Even though the Queen's recipe ends here, home cooks from all over the world have guessed and added the following steps:

Put some oil in a big pan and get it nice and hot. Then, spoon the batter onto the heated pan, making sure to leave enough room between each so it can spread.

After the top of the ‘drop scones’ (pancakes) begin to show bubbles, flip them with a spatula and continue cooking for another 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until they are lightly browned.

Once done, put the pancakes on a cooling rack and cover them to protect them from drying out. Serve right away with your prefered toppings.

TcXzvyv21Mde8xb_90ntQX5F4FKn5v1MhxPbadiT8LG4jRJhZhCkXbfTDNAPyONeCDBpiCywvjg475axSyGuvA4wzqsa6n96Cn668pu9vU_ZbWkzdWH6s1LZ9fCweH-9ZE_L0Ca0Z_SgwhrFSHeuPXCPuFYReXGp9Qzzfx_yKUi5c2Rz0HBWYFJzCg

After Queen Elizabeth II's passing, royal fans found her recipe for 'drop scone' pancakes. Credit: US National Archives.

And that's pretty much it! According to the late Queen, this would yield enough servings for 16 people. In the original copy of the recipe, she not only provided a list of ingredients and instructions; she also included a few personal suggestions on how to enjoy the dessert to its fullest.

'I have also tried using golden syrup or treacle instead of only sugar, and that can be very good too,' she wrote.

The fact that Queen Elizabeth II wrote this pancake recipe for President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1959 makes it all the more unique and special. The Queen wrote a letter with the recipe in which she explained that a photograph of President Eisenhower grilling had inspired her to send the recipe.

'Seeing a picture of you in today's newspaper standing in front of a barbecue grilling quail reminded me that I had never sent you the recipe of the drop scones which I promised you at Balmoral,' she said in her letter to President Eisenhower. 'I now hasten to do so, and I do hope you will find them successful.'

Even though it hasn't even been a month since she passed away, we all miss the Queen very much already. We hope that by making and enjoying this sweet treat, we will remember all the wonderful things she did for us while she was still here and that doing so will help lessen our sadness.

Do you folks plan to give this recipe a try? If so, let us know! We'd love to see what you come up with. Leave a comment or start a thread on the forum to share them with us!

Sponsored
We call them pikelets and use self raising flour, so omit the bicarb and cream of tartar. They're a quick and easy desert with butter and jam, or served cold and buttered for afternoon tea.
My favourite topping is butter, lemon juice and honey.

Royal pancakes, anyone?

In the wake of Queen Elizabeth's passing earlier this month, there has been a renewed interest in traditional royal delicacies. Among these is the royal family's pancake recipe, which was formerly housed in the National Archives.

A Reddit thread brought it back to the spotlight, and now it's likely being prepared for breakfast and brunch all across the world right at this moment.

In the recipe, the pancakes are called 'drop scones’, and a teacup, which is about 6 ounces (or 170 grams), is used as a measuring tool. Here's how you can also make the recipe in your home!

8fU1zav5tNaxs7gkYyACzGtq2c_NNPFFb0qT0MzAReYnV5vpP6O_8PuyEHZ99Y33XeZJNdyov5RZGPqKmDl7OJ1_NjcJjj9boJSPBYUeYhMwxDEf2RADDghLIYFRT0MiqzdMntJln9yJPtqZVRqHWlclU9IiH7121Zanjme6xfxZ6f_9j7JzfAV0QQ

The recipe for Her Majesty's royal pancakes was revealed in a Reddit thread. Credit: Getty Images. (Stock photo)

For the ingredients, you will need:
  • 4 teacups flour
  • 4 tablespoons caster sugar
  • 2 teacups milk
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 2 teaspoons bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
  • 3 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter

And here are the steps to follow:

Beat eggs, sugar, and about half the milk together.

Next, add flour, and mix well together, adding the remainder of milk as required.

Then add the bicarbonate and cream of tartar and fold in the melted butter.

Even though the Queen's recipe ends here, home cooks from all over the world have guessed and added the following steps:

Put some oil in a big pan and get it nice and hot. Then, spoon the batter onto the heated pan, making sure to leave enough room between each so it can spread.

After the top of the ‘drop scones’ (pancakes) begin to show bubbles, flip them with a spatula and continue cooking for another 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until they are lightly browned.

Once done, put the pancakes on a cooling rack and cover them to protect them from drying out. Serve right away with your prefered toppings.

TcXzvyv21Mde8xb_90ntQX5F4FKn5v1MhxPbadiT8LG4jRJhZhCkXbfTDNAPyONeCDBpiCywvjg475axSyGuvA4wzqsa6n96Cn668pu9vU_ZbWkzdWH6s1LZ9fCweH-9ZE_L0Ca0Z_SgwhrFSHeuPXCPuFYReXGp9Qzzfx_yKUi5c2Rz0HBWYFJzCg

After Queen Elizabeth II's passing, royal fans found her recipe for 'drop scone' pancakes. Credit: US National Archives.

And that's pretty much it! According to the late Queen, this would yield enough servings for 16 people. In the original copy of the recipe, she not only provided a list of ingredients and instructions; she also included a few personal suggestions on how to enjoy the dessert to its fullest.

'I have also tried using golden syrup or treacle instead of only sugar, and that can be very good too,' she wrote.

The fact that Queen Elizabeth II wrote this pancake recipe for President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1959 makes it all the more unique and special. The Queen wrote a letter with the recipe in which she explained that a photograph of President Eisenhower grilling had inspired her to send the recipe.

'Seeing a picture of you in today's newspaper standing in front of a barbecue grilling quail reminded me that I had never sent you the recipe of the drop scones which I promised you at Balmoral,' she said in her letter to President Eisenhower. 'I now hasten to do so, and I do hope you will find them successful.'

Even though it hasn't even been a month since she passed away, we all miss the Queen very much already. We hope that by making and enjoying this sweet treat, we will remember all the wonderful things she did for us while she was still here and that doing so will help lessen our sadness.

Do you folks plan to give this recipe a try? If so, let us know! We'd love to see what you come up with. Leave a comment or start a thread on the forum to share them with us!
teacup?

We call them pikelets and use self raising flour, so omit the bicarb and cream of tartar. They're a quick and easy desert with butter and jam, or served cold and buttered for afternoon tea.
My parents always sprinkled with sugar and lemon I like butter and jam best though