Revamp your small kitchen storage with a $35 Kmart ‘hack’ from a professional organiser

Are you struggling with limited storage in your home?

While it's a common challenge for most renters, a professional organiser from Melbourne has a $35 Kmart solution to help you maximise smaller spaces.

Anita Birges appeared on Today Extra to share tips and tweaks to transform compact rentals into well-organised spaces, focusing on the kitchen pantry, bathroom, and wardrobe.

‘The key to making [a rental] feel like home is to be able to utilise your space to the best of its ability,’ Birges said.

Mise en Place by Anita Birges.jpeg
Using cupboard doors is a practical storage solution for any room. Image source: Social media—Instagram (@misenplace_au)

To declutter and organise a messy pantry, Birges used a large lazy Susan turntable and an expandable pot and pan holder from Howards Storage World.

She also used the unused space on the pantry door by attaching a spice rack and pantry organiser.

This trick allows items such as plastic wrap and paper towels to be neatly stored in the pantry, avoiding clutter in drawers or on countertops.

Before the pantry makeover, Birges removed all items and cleaned the space.

If your pantry lacks space, Birges suggested making use of any narrow gaps between the fridge and countertop by using the $35 white slimline trolley from Kmart.

ce1ae73e-fa0a-4140-a751-9ed7b87adfa9.jpg
The white slimline trolley from Kmart is priced at $35.00 and has received 4.8 stars in reviews. Image source: Kmart

This trolley includes three shelves and four wheels that can easily be rolled in and out—something renters can take with them from one property to another.

Next, Birges tackled the bathroom. She added an extra towel rail outside the shower and a shower caddy inside to keep items like shampoo and conditioner off the windowsill.

Anita Birges Bathroom.jpeg
The Suction Corner Caddy, available at Kmart for $6.00, can be effortlessly installed without tools using suction fixtures. Image source: Social media—Facebook (@mise.en.place.professionalorganise)

She also shared tips on avoiding permanent installations by using suction-based solutions and provided advice on making these solutions effective.

‘The key when you're installing anything with suction is to give the surface a really good clean. I like to use an alcohol wipe [for this],’ she said.

For the vanity, Birges chose silicone organisers from Tooletries, which can be attached to glass, tiles, and mirrors to keep items off the countertop and neatly stored.

The professional organiser also introduced a $7 solution to keep shoes dust-free and neatly arranged in the wardrobe.
Key Takeaways

• A professional organiser, Anita Birges, advised using pantry doors and small gaps between appliances for extra storage in rentals.
  • Birges showed how to improve the kitchen pantry, bathroom, and wardrobe in a rental property during her appearance on Today Extra.
  • To increase storage capacity in compact kitchens, Birges recommended using a slimline trolley from Kmart.
  • In the bathroom, she also advised suction solutions for semi-permanent installations.
Members, have you been using any of these organisation hacks? If you have your own organising tips, we'd love for you to share them with our community below!

Sponsored
Some of these tips are good but only if you have space. Between my fridge and benchtop I have my ironing board and broom because my linen cupboard only has shelves. Also I have a shower door that is 3 small partitions so I cant put a towel rack on the door.

Reactions: Ricci and Gsr
I just need a bedroom sized walk in wardrobe then I’d be fine, lots of room for all of my stuff. Husband says the one we have is large enough (it is big), he says he’ll build me a loft in the roof or maybe I need to keep discarding. Think it will take mo than a few Kmart boxes. 🤣🤣🤣

I’m sure savvy people are able to work out how to maximise storage space for themselves. Another person wanting her ten minutes of fame?

Reactions: Ricci