Retail workers share some of the MOST “DISGUSTING” acts that shoppers do in store while shopping — “Please stop doing this”

It can't be denied that one of the most misinterpreted phrases of all time is the popular customer service saying "the customer is always right".

While the phrase is often used to encourage customer service workers to provide customers with the best service possible and give them what they want, this is not always the best course of action, especially when there are customers who are impossible to please.

In this case, it is necessary to stand up to a customer in order to protect the company's interests.

Keeping that in mind, a Woolworths staff member has taken to social media to call on shoppers to avoid placing unwanted random items on the wrong shelves in the supermarket store.

Taking the plea on Reddit, the employee — who claimed to be working as replenishment personnel — shared a “disgusting” act that one shopper did in store, emphasising that the deed has made the staff member's job more difficult.

“Please stop doing this,” the worker wrote.

“I work in replenishment at Woolies, it is disgusting.”

So, what exactly did the shopper do that infuriated the supermarket employee?

h7dcX3dK-u6PQvonYKV1tCSi_pZh_SvFmFW7c3yq7EMNusaCpFHQ0_lSlGU-Qj5EJex6PbirbxWfzhPBL9tvuQCEr4L6DJ_eF67z4aZc7Ys4dCtM1MnhOf2hcSqoh9B5WdWlbtU

A customer left a 2L bottle of orange juice on a shelf in the baby supplies aisle. Credit: Reddit.

As it turned out, one customer left a 2L bottle of orange juice amongst a pile of baby wipes on one of the shelves in the baby supplies aisle.

The Reddit user said that customers should do the right thing and place the item back to its original shelf or at least in the aisle where it belongs.

The post has prompted a number of frustrated retail workers to share their own experiences with a similar encounter.

One user recalled: “I worked at a supermarket and one time there was this foul smell in the snacks aisle.”

“Took me 10 minutes of searching, but eventually I found a wrapped fish from the deli shoved on top of the chips.

“Some d***head obviously couldn’t be bothered walking back to the deli and saying they didn’t want it anymore and left it to rot instead. Love that.”

Another shared: “Worked at Coles while I was at uni. Found both a used nappy and a used pregnancy test on shelves. Both big nopes on a supermarket wage.”

A third wrote: “Worst find I had working nights was a mostly eaten whole roast chicken."

“Imagine walking around a supermarket eating a whole god damn chicken and then stuffing its carcass into a shelf of instant noodles. Class.”

Another added: “I did replenish for several years at Bunnings. I have faced up my fair share of half-eaten snags dumped on shelves.”

jPit4KKW-L6ltbRevXhJT3RBFifB_p5Kkfa-cBB9nD2xQffNrvQLR2jDNRC6-3SQVJ-NJs1P3TVpTYtOxpy7cbqjSpfLsudBDGLRa9OdmAYQf5vl9CQULxUnqvdUWIVpFppHBHA

Woolworths encouraged shoppers to be respectful while shopping. Credit: AAP.

Elsewhere in the thread, other shoppers said that they witnessed these "disgraceful" acts in their local stores themselves.

One comment read: “I saw this the other day in ALDI, some s***stain left a whole tray of prawns in with the random weekly special items. F***ing PRAWNS.”

“I saw a litre of milk sitting on the shelf in my local Woolies, in the chip aisle or somewhere,” one person quipped.

“Went to grab it to put it back - it was room temperature ... I feel for you.”

A Woolworths spokesperson has reached out to comment on the issue, expressing their encouragement to the customers to be respectful while shopping.

The spokesperson said: “As a fresh food retailer, we have high standards for cleanliness and hygiene across our stores and are disappointed by all reports of littering.”

“Our stores are cleaned by professional cleaners daily and our team members conduct spot checks across the store several times a day."

“The vast majority of customers do the right thing and are respectful of our stores."

“As our team members work hard to serve our customers and replenish stock, we ask that customers be mindful of their impact and take any rubbish with them.”

It is understood that Woolworths employees are equipped with cleaning kits for spot cleaning in any case that it is necessary.

What are your thoughts on this? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I have often found completely unrelated items on shelves but the worst behaviour I've seen was in Coles recently. A young woman with four young children were walking through Coles ALL eating. As I watched her they worked their way through bottles of flavoured milk with cakes from the bakery. Chips and cans of soft drink. Then the woman went to the deli and asked for a large quantity of ham which was weighed, wrapped and handed to her. She proceeded to put the slices of ham onto bread rolls and hand to each of the children washed down with bottles of juice. All the empty wrappings were deposited on shelves all around the store. I was stunned at how much they had consumed. When I saw them head empty handed to an open aisle near a checkout I couldn't help myself and had to tell a nearby security officer. Fortunately I had it all on video on my phone because the young mother began by telling the security man she wasn't buying anything because she couldn't find the item she wanted. She was far from happy when I showed my video to the security officer. But fairs fair!
Well done for calling out the abusers. They are only a small minority but they need to understand that their behaviour is not acceptable.

Reactions: Liz and Ricci
Retail workers share some of the MOST “DISGUSTING” acts that shoppers do in store while shopping — “Please stop doing this”

It can't be denied that one of the most misinterpreted phrases of all time is the popular customer service saying "the customer is always right".

While the phrase is often used to encourage customer service workers to provide customers with the best service possible and give them what they want, this is not always the best course of action, especially when there are customers who are impossible to please.

In this case, it is necessary to stand up to a customer in order to protect the company's interests.

Keeping that in mind, a Woolworths staff member has taken to social media to call on shoppers to avoid placing unwanted random items on the wrong shelves in the supermarket store.

Taking the plea on Reddit, the employee — who claimed to be working as replenishment personnel — shared a “disgusting” act that one shopper did in store, emphasising that the deed has made the staff member's job more difficult.

h7dcX3dK-u6PQvonYKV1tCSi_pZh_SvFmFW7c3yq7EMNusaCpFHQ0_lSlGU-Qj5EJex6PbirbxWfzhPBL9tvuQCEr4L6DJ_eF67z4aZc7Ys4dCtM1MnhOf2hcSqoh9B5WdWlbtU

A customer left a 2L bottle of orange juice on a shelf in the baby supplies aisle. Credit: Reddit.

As it turned out, one customer left a 2L bottle of orange juice amongst a pile of baby wipes on one of the shelves in the baby supplies aisle.

The Reddit user said that customers should do the right thing and place the item back to its original shelf or at least in the aisle where it belongs.

The post has prompted a number of frustrated retail workers to share their own experiences with a similar encounter.

One user recalled: “I worked at a supermarket and one time there was this foul smell in the snacks aisle.”

“Took me 10 minutes of searching, but eventually I found a wrapped fish from the deli shoved on top of the chips.

“Some d***head obviously couldn’t be bothered walking back to the deli and saying they didn’t want it anymore and left it to rot instead. Love that.”

Another shared: “Worked at Coles while I was at uni. Found both a used nappy and a used pregnancy test on shelves. Both big nopes on a supermarket wage.”

A third wrote: “Worst find I had working nights was a mostly eaten whole roast chicken."

“Imagine walking around a supermarket eating a whole god damn chicken and then stuffing its carcass into a shelf of instant noodles. Class.”

Another added: “I did replenish for several years at Bunnings. I have faced up my fair share of half-eaten snags dumped on shelves.”

jPit4KKW-L6ltbRevXhJT3RBFifB_p5Kkfa-cBB9nD2xQffNrvQLR2jDNRC6-3SQVJ-NJs1P3TVpTYtOxpy7cbqjSpfLsudBDGLRa9OdmAYQf5vl9CQULxUnqvdUWIVpFppHBHA

Elsewhere in the thread, other shoppers said that they witnessed these "disgraceful" acts in their local stores themselves.

One comment read: “I saw this the other day in ALDI, some s***stain left a whole tray of prawns in with the random weekly special items. F***ing PRAWNS.”

“I saw a litre of milk sitting on the shelf in my local Woolies, in the chip aisle or somewhere,” one person quipped.

A Woolworths spokesperson has reached out to comment on the issue, expressing their encouragement to the customers to be respectful while shopping.

The spokesperson said: “As a fresh food retailer, we have high standards for cleanliness and hygiene across our stores and are disappointed by all reports of littering.”

“Our stores are cleaned by professional cleaners daily and our team members conduct spot checks across the store several times a day."

“The vast majority of customers do the right thing and are respectful of our stores."

“As our team members work hard to serve our customers and replenish stock, we ask that customers be mindful of their impact and take any rubbish with them.”

It is understood that Woolworths employees are equipped with cleaning kits for spot cleaning in any case that it is necessary.

I have often found completely unrelated items on shelves but the worst behaviour I've seen was in Coles recently. A young woman with four young children were walking through Coles ALL eating. As I watched her they worked their way through bottles of flavoured milk with cakes from the bakery. Chips and cans of soft drink. Then the woman went to the deli and asked for a large quantity of ham which was weighed, wrapped and handed to her. She proceeded to put the slices of ham onto bread rolls and hand to each of the children washed down with bottles of juice. All the empty wrappings were deposited on shelves all around the store. I was stunned at how much they had consumed. When I saw them head empty handed to an open aisle near a checkout I couldn't help myself and had to tell a nearby security officer. Fortunately I had it all on video on my phone because the young mother began by telling the security man she wasn't buying anything because she couldn't find the item she wanted. She was far from happy when I showed my video to the security officer. But fairs fair!
Good on you. This is the only language these gross beings (not human) will understand - particularly if they are pulled up in front of their children.

Good on you. This is the only language these gross beings (not human) will understand - particularly if they are pulled up in front of their children.
I agree pulling these people up on their behaviour but will it change anything the next time. It seems to be a case of "I will do what I like" and the "me" thoughts. I feel for the staff of the stores who have to clean up the mess and to think of possible contimination as well, especially the half eaten chicken and the open milk. Some people will always just think about themselves and no one else. We have become a very sad society in some cases.

Reactions: Ricci

My son does night fill at a Woolies store, and the stories he's told me about what they find customers shove on the shelves. I've also seen it for myself, people are so dam lazy and disrespectful, there's NO excuse for it,put it back where you got it from.

Reactions: Ricci and Liz

I often see random items dumped all over the store when I go shopping. Sadly, I don't think that your story here will do anything to stop it. Because the grubs, low-lifes and lazy sods that do it probably don't read this newsletter (if they can read at all).

People are so,so lazy, selfish, uncaring, no civic conscience. Shame on them. Quote, unqote. In a store the other day I found an opened partially consumed pack of good chocolate just left behind. Apart from anythging else that is stealing, theft, purloining call it what you will. The problem is nobody cares anymore. Social conscience and common decency are unknown quantities because our children are not taught them in school or they live in homes where these along with common sense, are not taught any more. Sometimes I dispair and then I see some truly generous and helpful action taken and I take heart again to live for another day in this generally beautiful world.

I would never buy nuts etc from the self serve as I have seen people put their grubby paws in and grab a handful to eat while walking around the store. Not sure where those hands have been apart from the theft issue. Nice way to teach children....not.

• Wow

What are your thoughts on this? Share them with us into

I'm not sure if it's because people are thoughtless, lazy, rushed, stressed or just non caring but I often see goods left in the wrong places. If it's something that belongs close to something I'm going to buy I'll take it with me and put it back in the right place. I do this as having worked in retail I understand the frustration of employees in finding half their stock littered liberally throughout the store.:(
Hi Ricci;
It’s because people who do that are a-holes and don’t give a ……. 💩

I know the customer is “always right” but some are downright animals. Actually worse than animals.

Leanneh. Good on you. Wish there were more people like you. It has always been my pet subject for years. It seems to happen whenever I am around, but God gave me a tongue to "beef out loud to the culprit." Makes people around know what a disgusting act that customer is doing., I well remember one particular teenager endeavouring to hide a much eaten chook behind a row of tin soups. I grabbed his sleeve tightly &asked, "What do you think you're doing?" Answer "Snothing to do with you bitch," He was with a guy from the same school & HE dobbed him in by giving me his name. I rang the school in the morning and the Principal handled it beautifully HIS way. I'll bet he won't try that on again. The Manager, staff etc have got more to do than run around after filthy people who expect to do just what they like, irrespective of the hygeine side of perishable goods left to stink a clean store out. They never think what the results could be. I have a sense of pride when I walk into a store & see everything so neatly stacked. Do you ever wonder how some of these offenders homes look like? They are either neat & tidy, or take their dirtiness out on the store. AND finally, IF you drop any liquid or anything that needs cleaning up, do not leave the store before you tell someone in charge please. You will not need to clean it up yourself but think of the cleaner who HAS TO .

man