Restaurants now charge for bringing your own cake! Could this impact your next dining out experience?

Birthday celebrations are rarely complete without cake, and one of the places you can have a cheekly slice (or two) is your favourite restaurant.

But some Australian diners are learning this custom now comes at a price, with a growing number of eateries charging controversial 'cakeage' fees.

You read that right, members—there is such a word as cakeage. According to Merriam-Webster, cakeage refers to the fee restaurants charge their customers when they bring their own cake instead of purchasing one in-house (if there is any available).

Recently, Perth resident Jules Rangiheuea vented her frustration after several Sydney restaurants told her they would charge $10 per head for her group to enjoy their own cake.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 134243.png
Some restaurants charge a cakeage fee when customers bring their own cakes. Credit: Paréj Richárd/Unsplash

She took to social media asking, 'Since when did we start charging absolutely criminal prices to have cake at a restaurant?'

While cakeage fees are not new, the practice does seem to be spreading just as prices are going up.

‘I feel like the $10-per-head cakeage is a new thing too... I’m so confused, especially the cost of living. Like people are only going out [to restaurants] to celebrate and a lot of celebrations include cake,’ she added.

‘We actually brought a cake to (another) restaurant and they told us that we couldn’t have it unless we all wanted to pay a $5-per-head surcharge to have the cake that we brought,’ Jules recalled.

Her video, now apparently deleted, was viewed 24,000 times.

Some argue that the cakeage helps cover costs like storage, cutting utensils, dishwashing, and staff time. It also offsets dessert sales the restaurant would have made.

'I'm a chef and restaurant owner. [...] Since I started my apprenticeship at 14 there has always been a cakeage fee...in fine dining restaurants,' said one commenter shared.

Another wrote: ‘Cakeage is fair and makes sense when you consider you want the staff to serve you and use the cutlery and plate which will need washing up! And napkins.’

‘It’s the fridge sizing; it’s the cutting, the serving, the washing of plates and cutlery. $10 is excessive but I do understand a charge,’ a third person stated.

‘Cakeage is actually pretty standard. It’s not only serving, storage etc but it’s loss of revenue for you bringing in your own. Same as corkage,’ a fourth social media user explained.

Jules wondered: ‘Do you think if we brought our own paper plates, forks and knife for the cake we could still eat it without any charge at the restaurant?’

Ultimately, it’s up to the establishment if they want to charge cakeage. If you plan to celebrate in one soon, it might be prudent to ask the restaurant first so you won’t be shocked when the bill comes back.

Key Takeaways
  • A diner from Perth expressed her frustration over a restaurant in Sydney charging her guests a $10 cakeage fee to bring their cake to a birthday dinner.
  • The cakeage fee was for a waiter to cut and plate up the cake, which the diner felt was excessive, as it was the third restaurant she had visited that had a similar charge.
  • A video venting her frustration has been viewed more than 24,000 times, with many explaining the cakeage fee—fridge sizing, the cutting and serving, washing of plates and cutlery, and loss of revenue for the restaurant.
  • Despite the explanations, the diner felt that a $10 per person cakeage fee was high and questioned if she could avoid the charge by bringing her paper plates, forks and knife for the cake.

What are your thoughts on cakeage, members? Would you pay $10 per head to bring and eat your cake to a restaurant? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Birthday celebrations are rarely complete without cake, and one of the places you can have a cheekly slice (or two) is your favourite restaurant.

But some Australian diners are learning this custom now comes at a price, with a growing number of eateries charging controversial 'cakeage' fees.

You read that right, members—there is such a word as cakeage. According to Merriam-Webster, cakeage refers to the fee restaurants charge their customers when they bring their own cake instead of purchasing one in-house (if there is any available).

Recently, Perth resident Jules Rangiheuea vented her frustration after several Sydney restaurants told her they would charge $10 per head for her group to enjoy their own cake.

View attachment 33129
Some restaurants charge a cakeage fee when customers bring their own cakes. Credit: Paréj Richárd/Unsplash

She took to social media asking, 'Since when did we start charging absolutely criminal prices to have cake at a restaurant?'

While cakeage fees are not new, the practice does seem to be spreading just as prices are going up.

‘I feel like the $10-per-head cakeage is a new thing too... I’m so confused, especially the cost of living. Like people are only going out [to restaurants] to celebrate and a lot of celebrations include cake,’ she added.

‘We actually brought a cake to (another) restaurant and they told us that we couldn’t have it unless we all wanted to pay a $5-per-head surcharge to have the cake that we brought,’ Jules recalled.

Some argue that the cakeage helps cover costs like storage, cutting utensils, dishwashing, and staff time. It also offsets dessert sales the restaurant would have made.

'I'm a chef and restaurant owner. [...] Since I started my apprenticeship at 14 there has always been a cakeage fee...in fine dining restaurants,' said one commenter shared.

Another wrote: ‘Cakeage is fair and makes sense when you consider you want the staff to serve you and use the cutlery and plate which will need washing up! And napkins.’

‘It’s the fridge sizing; it’s the cutting, the serving, the washing of plates and cutlery. $10 is excessive but I do understand a charge,’ a third person stated.

‘Cakeage is actually pretty standard. It’s not only serving, storage etc but it’s loss of revenue for you bringing in your own. Same as corkage,’ a fourth social media user explained.

Jules wondered: ‘Do you think if we brought our own paper plates, forks and knife for the cake we could still eat it without any charge at the restaurant?’

Ultimately, it’s up to the establishment if they want to charge cakeage. If you plan to celebrate in one soon, it might be prudent to ask the restaurant first so you won’t be shocked when the bill comes back.

Key Takeaways

• A diner from Perth expressed her frustration over a restaurant in Sydney charging her guests a $10 cakeage fee to bring their cake to a birthday dinner.
  • The cakeage fee was for a waiter to cut and plate up the cake, which the diner felt was excessive, as it was the third restaurant she had visited that had a similar charge.
  • A video venting her frustration has been viewed more than 24,000 times, with many explaining the cakeage fee—fridge sizing, the cutting and serving, washing of plates and cutlery, and loss of revenue for the restaurant.
  • Despite the explanations, the diner felt that a $10 per person cakeage fee was high and questioned if she could avoid the charge by bringing her paper plates, forks and knife for the cake.

What are your thoughts on cakeage, members? Would you pay $10 per head to bring and eat your cake to a restaurant? Let us know in the comments below!
Yes, they've tried to charge that price at a couple of restaurants in Albany WA for a couple of years now. The first year, the food was dreadful advertised gluten free, but had no gluten free products available, then charged me a fortune for bringing my own cake, and they didn't even have any dessert I could eat...The second place had good food, but I decided to keep my cake at home and everyone could come back for cake and champagne, which cost less than the $120 they tried to stiff me for my homemade cake!.. I rarely go out anymore now...There's a couple of safe places to eat for me...and I'm a retired chef, quite frankly some of the quality is slipping too in a lot of places...

View attachment 33129

Key Takeaways

The only times I haven't seen a charge for this was if there wasn't one in house available.

Reactions: Wandiwa
I think is fare, you expectvt use the restaurant's cutlery, their time to serve washup. You need to pay, and then when you hear staff demand crazy wages for just pickup plates someone has to pay

Reactions: Littleboy8

View attachment 33129

Key Takeaways

It's absolutely disgusting. Purchase the food and have the party at home. It's getting to the stage where only the wealthy can afford to go to restaurants, if everyone stopped going to restaurants surely they would feel obliged to lower their prices or shut shop completely

Reactions: Argie

View attachment 33129

Key Takeaways

Fair enough there is a cost to the resturant in labor serving and washing the plates etc as well as the user of the same, buy theirs it will be fairer and possibly cheaper

View attachment 33129

Key Takeaways

Well if they charge, just bring along your own plates etc. I don't see what they could charge you for in those circumstances.

View attachment 33129

Key Takeaways

I’m sorry but $10 a head to bring your own cake is a ripoff half of our large family of 17 don’t even eat cake so they are expecting us to pay $170 extra for to eat a $60 cake. Wouldn’t go there and they will go broke when the word gets out.

Reactions: PattiB

View attachment 33129

Key Takeaways

No way!!!

Reactions: anne2162
Corkage can be $10 a person too at some restaurants, watch out those charging per bottle too 👮‍♀️👁️🫵👎🤡🙀😵‍💫

View attachment 33129

Key Takeaways

Just ANOTHER scam! No more going to ANY restaurant. Pricing themselves out of business.

View attachment 33129

Key Takeaways

No way would I pay that! It is so dear. Just take paper plates, forks & serviettes no trouble or time staff doing anything. By

[UOTE="DrChip, post: 315209, member: 7067"]
I think is fare, you expectvt use the restaurant's cutlery, their time to serve washup. You need to pay, and then when you hear staff demand crazy wages for just pickup plates someone has to pay
[/QUOTE]
To cut a a cake in 12 pieces, plate it up I could do in less than 10 minutes, then retrieve plates, wash and dry no more than 20 minutes, equals $120, I don't think so.
Highway robbery.
You have already bought a meal which they have made a profit off.
Next they'll be charging you for not buying a dessert. I think $25 is more than adequate for roughly 30 minutes work.
It's no wonder restaurants are closing down, in this day and age everyone is struggling to make ends meet and charging $120 to serve the customer their own cake will have people walking out the door and also telling friends to stay away.

[UOTE="DrChip, post: 315209, member: 7067"]
To cut a a cake in 12 pieces, plate it up I could do in less than 10 minutes, then retrieve plates, wash and dry no more than 20 minutes, equals $120, I don't think so.
Highway robbery.
Next they'll be charging you for not buying a dessert. I think $25 is more than adequate for roughly 30 minutes work.
It's no wonder restaurants are closing down, in this day and age everyone is struggling to make ends meet and charging $120 to serve the customer their own cake will have people walking out the door and also telling friends to stay away.
[/QUOTE]

Highway robbery.

This is all a load of rubbish, all restaurants have dish washers, if it has to be the cake can be precut and all they need to do is serve it.

This is all a load of rubbish, all restaurants have dish washers, if it has to be the cake can be precut and all they need to do is serve it.
For that matter you could take paper plates, disposable forks, precut the cake, put it on the table, serve yourself,pack the dirty plates in your own plastic bag and dispose of them at home
Voila, staff have to do nothing .
They'll probably then come up with a "table use" tax.
Probably just best to stay home and. celebrate, save your money.
I had a caterer for a do we had previously, she bought all the prepared food to my home, even the birthday cake and was.cheaper than these overpriced la de dah restaurants.