Restaurant’s kind act wins hearts across Australia

In a world where headlines often speak of heinous crimes, economic downturns, and the rising cost of living, small acts of kindness shine as beacons of hope and community spirit.

One such act has recently captured the hearts of Australians, resonating with the generous nature that is so often associated with the Land Down Under.

Manoosh & Co, a restaurant in Eagle Vale, southwest of Sydney, has become the talk of the town—and indeed the nation—for its 'beautiful' gesture aimed at supporting locals feeling the pinch of financial hardship.

As patrons step into the warm, inviting atmosphere of the restaurant, they are greeted not only by the aroma of freshly baked bread and spiced delicacies but also by a simple whiteboard that carries a message of profound compassion.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 110742.png
Manoosh & Co, a restaurant in Sydney, was praised by the community for their beautiful initiative. Source: Manoosh & Co

'Please take one if [you're] in need!! Already paid for from (sic) our beautiful customers,' it reads, with a collection of receipts for pre-paid meals attached, each one representing a meal ready to be claimed by someone facing tough times.

In a picture, the board is affixed with six receipts containing different orders, each valued at approximately $10 or $12, awaiting for customers to collect.

Aleeya Hamidan, the owner of Manoosh & Co, which has four outlets in total, stated that the idea was born out of a deep understanding of the struggles faced by many in the community.

'Prices are going up in rent, and there are a lot of large families that live here as well. They don't have much spare money to go out and eat with their kids after school,' she said.

Hamidan was the first to place an order on the board, hoping to inspire her customers to do the same.

Her initiative has not only been successful but has also sparked a cycle of giving.

'One man came in a few weeks ago and took one of the free meals, but the following week, when he did have money, he purchased one for someone else,' she recounted.

The restaurant's initiative has been met with overwhelming support from the community.

Amanda Mauga, a local, was so moved by the gesture that she decided to contribute by buying a coffee for the next person in need.

'Eagle Vale has a few homeless people living in our community, sometimes they busk in front of the shops for loose change. So it feels good to help in some small way,' she said.

Ms Mauga also posted about the initiative on social media.

She wrote: ‘If you are having a hard time and need a meal or coffee, go down to Manoosh Eagle Vale. People buy food for people who need it. So if you're in need, head down there, I have left you a coffee. Enjoy.’

The post quickly went viral, garnering over a thousand comments from people praising the restaurant's thoughtful gesture.

Many agreed that it was a 'beautiful' and 'great initiative' that other businesses should consider emulating.

‘What a great idea! We need more like this. So many people are struggling, bravo,’ one commenter said.

‘Well done folks... nice there are caring people around,’ another wrote.

A third person stated, ‘What an amazing shop for even doing this.’

Stories like this are a good reminder of the inherent goodness of people, and how small acts of kindness can make a significant difference in someone's life.

Key Takeaways
  • Manoosh & Co, a restaurant in Eagle Vale, has initiated a gesture of providing free meals to customers in need, with the cost covered by contributions from other customers.
  • The restaurant's owner, Aleeya Hamidan, started the practice after noting the financial struggles faced by many in the community; it has been supported by the generosity of the locals.
  • Customers can choose a prepaid meal from a whiteboard display in the restaurant, and some who have benefited from the free meals have returned the favour when they could afford to do so.
  • The community has praised the restaurant's actions on social media, with numerous residents and customers acknowledging the act of kindness as 'beautiful' and encouraging other businesses to follow suit.

What do you think of this initiative, dear members? Have you ever experienced or participated in a similar 'pay it forward' act? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Fantastic. I’ve seen this done with coffees and have bought one for someone else but to buy a meal is a great idea. I was touched today actually. My husband and myself went to our local movie cinema and there was a homeless man sat in the foyer the whole time we were in the movie. I think he was charging his phone and sitting in some comfort for a while. The staff just left him to it, didn’t ask him to leave which makes me think this is a regular occurrence. I said to my husband, that’s what I like to see, some kindness. He said they probably make him a coffee too. I said I hope so.

When I treat myself to coffee and scones or cake…I always pay one forward….
I have an understanding with the owner of the cafe that it has to be “for someone who is really struggling”
Yep. I do the pay it forward thing quite frequently.
It's a great idea that just might be enough to give someone a reason to smile.

Next time I buy a coffee I will do this. I am a pensioner so I understand when times get tough. It's just a beautiful and thoughtful way of making someone's day better.

This is such a great story to read. I wish more restaurants would do this. Some restaurants throw away a lot of food which can't be sold so if hey gave it away to those who need a meal instead of throwing in the bins it would be amazing

Reactions: maherdj