Residents fight their local council over unfair parking spaces: “We’ve had enough”

The residents of a multi-way street in Hinchinbrook, Sydney, have aired out their frustrations over a “useless” law imposed by their local council.

Apparently, they were being forced to remove their parked vehicles on the street’s nature strips, or else pay the staggering fine of $275. But the road is too narrow to handle two cars on both sides of the road, and not allowing traffic to freely pass through poses risks and prevents traffic flow.

a7SlrHAE_5qSfqW90UJ9Tx41Ymm4-WvzIF7DLDGs0v2iwZbNqnMjtcbdpA2IrlN62plKiG7_E3x6xXra6-rtm9ALePO4kga3LpzJA03HLJUDV_mY5IzsSWDLfvi25NGQ0fO6U52C

The residents of Inverell Ave, in southwest Sydney's Hinchinbrook, are fed up over their council’s unfair parking rules. Credit: Channel 9.

Speaking to A Current Affair, Mario, one of the residents on Inverell Ave, said he's been parking his car on the curb in front of his house for six years now, and there has never been a problem.

Now, if the council continues to force them to park on the road, it would be too narrow for vehicles to pass through.

“Can you imagine if someone needs a fire engine down the street? What do you do, let the house burn?” Mario questioned the council’s decision.

Liverpool City Council has given the residents a one-week grace period before they start issuing fines for individuals caught illegally parking.

“The only thing I can think of is revenue, to tell you the truth. How can you afford $275 every time you come home from work?” Mario added.

“We’ve had enough.”

Another neighbour expressed her complaints about the decision as well, saying she often has to ask her neighbours for help whenever her car is unable to pass through the narrow street. “It’s a real pain,” she said.

If two standard cars are parked on either side, the remaining width of the road left for passing vehicles is around 2.4 metres.

“I've got a small car and I'd struggle to get through here, so can you imagine that truck trying to get through?” said Mario, pointing to his neighbour’s 2.5-metre truck. “He's got no chance.”

He continued to plead against the council’s decision, saying that it was unrealistic and possibly dangerous. The $275 fine was unforgiving, too.

“There would be accidents occurring here on the street because the road is so tiny,” he said. “We're just average families, we come home from work and have to worry about getting a fine.”

“It's very problematic, it's a very serious issue.”

1O1l-n3s_Q8qafzbyawbs4bI6iw7UBfFLa1Sf1e05roA3eqzkkji7PT-ku9NRSTSy5T7b-zZsgLLF7CHr8Qq1m1cchfW-LKyBJLp5Y-0zRwHlFNfA6AAjC5IOX6BNwlsH6IWnzM4

Vehicles sometimes can't get through without having help from neighbours. Credit: Channel 9.
A spokesperson from the Liverpool City Council has already acknowledged the residents’ sentiments. However, they also made it clear that parking on the nature strip is illegal under NSW legislation.

NSW road rule number 197 says that parking on footpaths and nature strips is strictly prohibited. However, it allows parking on road-related areas that are specifically intended or constructed for the purpose of vehicle parking.

Sponsored
I know about this happening too, my Sister lives on quite a busy road where you can't park any cars. She has a driveway but it only takes one car. People visiting her have been fined for parking on the footpath area. What else are they to do? This has to be addressed by the Brisbane City Council. The road is Webster Road Stafford Heights.

Reactions: dawnief52
Residents fight their local council over unfair parking spaces: “We’ve had enough”

The residents of a multi-way street in Hinchinbrook, Sydney, have aired out their frustrations over a “useless” law imposed by their local council.

Apparently, they were being forced to remove their parked vehicles on the street’s nature strips, or else pay the staggering fine of $275. But the road is too narrow to handle two cars on both sides of the road, and not allowing traffic to freely pass through poses risks and prevents traffic flow.

a7SlrHAE_5qSfqW90UJ9Tx41Ymm4-WvzIF7DLDGs0v2iwZbNqnMjtcbdpA2IrlN62plKiG7_E3x6xXra6-rtm9ALePO4kga3LpzJA03HLJUDV_mY5IzsSWDLfvi25NGQ0fO6U52C

The residents of Inverell Ave, in southwest Sydney's Hinchinbrook, are fed up over their council’s unfair parking rules. Credit: Channel 9.

Speaking to A Current Affair, Mario, one of the residents on Inverell Ave, said he's been parking his car on the curb in front of his house for six years now, and there has never been a problem.

Now, if the council continues to force them to park on the road, it would be too narrow for vehicles to pass through.

“Can you imagine if someone needs a fire engine down the street? What do you do, let the house burn?” Mario questioned the council’s decision.

Liverpool City Council has given the residents a one-week grace period before they start issuing fines for individuals caught illegally parking.

“The only thing I can think of is revenue, to tell you the truth. How can you afford $275 every time you come home from work?” Mario added.

“We’ve had enough.”

Another neighbour expressed her complaints about the decision as well, saying she often has to ask her neighbours for help whenever her car is unable to pass through the narrow street. “It’s a real pain,” she said.

If two standard cars are parked on either side, the remaining width of the road left for passing vehicles is around 2.4 metres.

“I've got a small car and I'd struggle to get through here, so can you imagine that truck trying to get through?” said Mario, pointing to his neighbour’s 2.5-metre truck. “He's got no chance.”

He continued to plead against the council’s decision, saying that it was unrealistic and possibly dangerous. The $275 fine was unforgiving, too.

“There would be accidents occurring here on the street because the road is so tiny,” he said. “We're just average families, we come home from work and have to worry about getting a fine.”

“It's very problematic, it's a very serious issue.”

1O1l-n3s_Q8qafzbyawbs4bI6iw7UBfFLa1Sf1e05roA3eqzkkji7PT-ku9NRSTSy5T7b-zZsgLLF7CHr8Qq1m1cchfW-LKyBJLp5Y-0zRwHlFNfA6AAjC5IOX6BNwlsH6IWnzM4

Vehicles sometimes can't get through without having help from neighbours. Credit: Channel 9.
A spokesperson from the Liverpool City Council has already acknowledged the residents’ sentiments. However, they also made it clear that parking on the nature strip is illegal under NSW legislation.

NSW road rule number 197 says that parking on footpaths and nature strips is strictly prohibited. However, it allows parking on road-related areas that are specifically intended or constructed for the purpose of vehicle parking.
It’s about time that people start reminding council that they work to serve the people not control them. People pay rates for this and it is council’s responsibility to fix the problem not revenue raise. Why are we putting up with this kind of behaviour

The problem here is the developers, the councils are letting them get away with all this medium density housing and not even looking into the welfare or safety of the persons buying or renting in that location. If a fire goes through there it's not only getting the fire brigade in, but also evacuating residents that could be in dangers way.
The local government "council" always falls back on "its a state law", in this case NSW. However, somebody has to be responsible for the duty of care to the homes in this locale because, should a death occur through the negligence of not providing adequate access into these estates I believe they should be held responsible for manslaughter in the least.

Ludicrous situation - extremely poor planning (greed) by developer and council. I believe these residents should be entitled to some form of ongoing compensation, perhaps in the form of decreased rates, since they are not provided acceptable ease of access to their properties. Developer and council might think twice about road width next time, if these residents continue to fight this.