Residents call out local council as weekly red garbage bin collection shifts to fortnightly

Locals in certain parts of Sydney's Inner West are worried that their streets might smell worse as the weather heats up due to changes in how garbage is collected.

Starting from October 9, residents in the Inner West Council area will have their red garbage bins—which will contain sanitary products, nappies and pet litter—emptied every two weeks instead of weekly.

Green bins, where they're required to put organic food and garden waste, will be collected every week.

People are worried that the new system could lead to more rodents in the area, overflowing bins, and horrific odours, especially with waste sitting in bins for a fortnight.

Some residents also feel there hasn't been enough discussion with the community about these changes. The decision was also criticised as a 'one-size-fits-all approach' that does not consider the specific circumstances of different suburbs and households.

The council says these changes will save money by reducing the use of landfills and helping the environment. They also want to reassure residents that these changes won't affect their fees.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 12.51.00 PM.png
Garbage services will soon begin to collect (general waste) red bins fortnightly rather than weekly. Credit: Shutterstock.

Dan Shaw, a local resident, said he only recently found out about the revised schedule after a heated post on a community Facebook group garnered an overwhelming response, with hundreds of reactions and comments pouring in.

'I'm annoyed at the lack of consultation and disclosure about the changes. While we need to support the environment and reduce waste, changes need to be carefully planned and implemented,' he said.

'Inner West Council seems to largely just make their own decisions and ignore community feedback. Not everyone even has space for (three) bins.'

Mr Shaw said the smell amidst the sweltering heat would be an issue. But, while his household is able to keep their bins away from their home, he felt bad for his neighbours who couldn't.

'We don't have babies, so no nappies in our bins, but there are plenty of young families around, and I feel sorry for them. With a very hot summer predicted, you'd think winter would be a more suitable time to trial this,' he argued.

In the post on social media, more and more residents are commenting to call out the council, calling their decision 'out of touch' and 'disastrous'.

'My red bin is full of nappies and cat litter every week. Inner city living means that our homes and blocks are small, so there's no space to store larger bins or new bins being rolled out. What do you propose we do?' wrote one woman.

Another agreed and added, 'My only spot where my bins fit is next to my kitchen. I eat a lot of seafood and have cat litter. My bins smell after a few days. I simply can't imagine what they would smell like after a week without collecting!'

A spokesperson for the Inner West Council said that despite the backlash, the environmental impact would be 'significant' and that the program would save ratepayers more than $370,000 per year in landfill needs.

Despite the scrutiny and doubt from some households, they emphasised that while this change may be 'challenging at first', it is worth it in the long run.

'Diverting food and garden waste from landfills is the single biggest thing we can do as a community to help combat climate change. After the initial rollout in October, we will review the data and have the resources to make modifications and changes if necessary.'

And for those concerned about odour issues, he suggested securely wrapping diapers, pads, period products, and pet waste before disposing of them in the red bin.

In March, we reported a similar incident, where residents of Greater Shepparton, a regional area north of Melbourne, weren't happy after their local council announced a significant change to the bin collection system.

Like the earlier story, red bins were announced to be collected fortnightly instead of weekly, sparking the same concerns.

'Do we just throw our garbage bags on the kerbside when the small bin gets full in the first week? This is just ridiculous,' one local commented on a Facebook post.

Another added, 'The council has this all wrong. Just leave it the way it is. Why change something that isn't broken?'

'It's going to be disgusting,' said a third. Read the full story here.

Some members also had a say in this matter. Member @Jennylolo argued, 'Bins shouldn't be overflowing for safety and health. But weekly red bins are often like this. I can't imagine if they were fortnightly.'

Member @PepeLePew was also in the same boat as some residents, saying: 'I live in Qld and would dread this happening here. I also rent, so I only have a small red lid bin that is pretty much filled up every week.'

Adding to the conversation, member @siameezer wrote, 'We have had this in my area of Melbourne for a couple of years now, and yes, it is a smelly inconvenience. Due to medical reasons, I have had to get a bigger red bin, and I am lucky that it actually lasts a fortnight before it is full.'

Member @Rowiee also offered another perspective, suggesting: 'It is basically forcing ratepayers to pay for a bigger red bin. More expense in this current climate.'

Key Takeaways

• Anger is rising over a Sydney council's decision to collect red lid bins fortnightly instead of weekly without consulting locals appropriately.
  • Concerns have been raised regarding the smell, rodents and potential overflowing bins, particularly during the sweltering summer temperatures.
  • The decision has been criticised as a 'one-size-fits-all approach' that does not consider the specific circumstances of different suburbs and households.
  • An Inner West Council spokesman highlighted the environmental impact of the changes and emphasised that modifications and adjustments can be made after the initial October rollout.

Members, what are your thoughts on these stories? We also want to ask: What is the schedule for bin collection in your area? Has it been working for you and your lifestyle so far, or do you think something needs to change there as well? Please let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Locals in certain parts of Sydney's Inner West are worried that their streets might smell worse as the weather heats up due to changes in how garbage is collected.

Starting from October 9, residents in the Inner West Council area will have their red garbage bins—which will contain sanitary products, nappies and pet litter—emptied every two weeks instead of weekly.

Green bins, where they're required to put organic food and garden waste, will be collected every week.

People are worried that the new system could lead to more rodents in the area, overflowing bins, and horrific odours, especially with waste sitting in bins for a fortnight.

Some residents also feel there hasn't been enough discussion with the community about these changes. The decision was also criticised as a 'one-size-fits-all approach' that does not consider the specific circumstances of different suburbs and households.

The council says these changes will save money by reducing the use of landfills and helping the environment. They also want to reassure residents that these changes won't affect their fees.

View attachment 29705
Garbage services will soon begin to collect (general waste) red bins fortnightly rather than weekly. Credit: Shutterstock.

Dan Shaw, a local resident, said he only recently found out about the revised schedule after a heated post on a community Facebook group garnered an overwhelming response, with hundreds of reactions and comments pouring in.

'I'm annoyed at the lack of consultation and disclosure about the changes. While we need to support the environment and reduce waste, changes need to be carefully planned and implemented,' he said.

'Inner West Council seems to largely just make their own decisions and ignore community feedback. Not everyone even has space for (three) bins.'

Mr Shaw said the smell amidst the sweltering heat would be an issue. But, while his household is able to keep their bins away from their home, he felt bad for his neighbours who couldn't.

'We don't have babies, so no nappies in our bins, but there are plenty of young families around, and I feel sorry for them. With a very hot summer predicted, you'd think winter would be a more suitable time to trial this,' he argued.

In the post on social media, more and more residents are commenting to call out the council, calling their decision 'out of touch' and 'disastrous'.

'My red bin is full of nappies and cat litter every week. Inner city living means that our homes and blocks are small, so there's no space to store larger bins or new bins being rolled out. What do you propose we do?' wrote one woman.

Another agreed and added, 'My only spot where my bins fit is next to my kitchen. I eat a lot of seafood and have cat litter. My bins smell after a few days. I simply can't imagine what they would smell like after a week without collecting!'

A spokesperson for the Inner West Council said that despite the backlash, the environmental impact would be 'significant' and that the program would save ratepayers more than $370,000 per year in landfill needs.

Despite the scrutiny and doubt from some households, they emphasised that while this change may be 'challenging at first', it is worth it in the long run.

'Diverting food and garden waste from landfills is the single biggest thing we can do as a community to help combat climate change. After the initial rollout in October, we will review the data and have the resources to make modifications and changes if necessary.'

And for those concerned about odour issues, he suggested securely wrapping diapers, pads, period products, and pet waste before disposing of them in the red bin.

In March, we reported a similar incident, where residents of Greater Shepparton, a regional area north of Melbourne, weren't happy after their local council announced a significant change to the bin collection system.

Like the earlier story, red bins were announced to be collected fortnightly instead of weekly, sparking the same concerns.

'Do we just throw our garbage bags on the kerbside when the small bin gets full in the first week? This is just ridiculous,' one local commented on a Facebook post.

Another added, 'The council has this all wrong. Just leave it the way it is. Why change something that isn't broken?'

Some members also had a say in this matter. Member @Jennylolo argued, 'Bins shouldn't be overflowing for safety and health. But weekly red bins are often like this. I can't imagine if they were fortnightly.'

Member @PepeLePew was also in the same boat as some residents, saying: 'I live in Qld and would dread this happening here. I also rent, so I only have a small red lid bin that is pretty much filled up every week.'

Adding to the conversation, member @siameezer wrote, 'We have had this in my area of Melbourne for a couple of years now, and yes, it is a smelly inconvenience. Due to medical reasons, I have had to get a bigger red bin, and I am lucky that it actually lasts a fortnight before it is full.'

Member @Rowiee also offered another perspective, suggesting: 'It is basically forcing ratepayers to pay for a bigger red bin. More expense in this current climate.'

Key Takeaways

• Anger is rising over a Sydney council's decision to collect red lid bins fortnightly instead of weekly without consulting locals appropriately.
  • Concerns have been raised regarding the smell, rodents and potential overflowing bins, particularly during the sweltering summer temperatures.
  • The decision has been criticised as a 'one-size-fits-all approach' that does not consider the specific circumstances of different suburbs and households.
  • An Inner West Council spokesman highlighted the environmental impact of the changes and emphasised that modifications and adjustments can be made after the initial October rollout.

Members, what are your thoughts on these stories? We also want to ask: What is the schedule for bin collection in your area? Has it been working for you and your lifestyle so far, or do you think something needs to change there as well? Please let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Hope it doesn’t happen in frankston my neighbours bin is always overflowing. 2 adults 1 bubba, smelly nappies etc after 1 week. I live alone so wouldn’t bother me. But not fair for families. 😁

Our bins are collected weekly, in qld if you have seafood put in plastic bags and in the freezer until collection ,that’s what we do with prawn shells etc , so no smell .

Reactions: Ezzy and EJMHK

View attachment 29705

Key Takeaways

The Penrith council has been doing this for ages, now the outlying suburbs have bags of trash everywhere thrown on the side of the road because people don't want it sitting in their bin for two weeks becoming maggot infested, I live in a bush area and have to clean up the opposite side of the road every effin day , screw the council's, less aldermen and more service, self serving bastards learning how to become politicians.

View attachment 29705

Key Takeaways

I live in rural Victoria where this is normal. My red & yellow bins are emptied on alternating weeks & my green bin is emptied every week. Fortunately I am a sole occupants & don't amass a lot of rubbish but for families this is ludicrous. The only ones saving money are the Councils. The amount of waste won't change, just the timing of it going to landfill. Are ratepayers going to get a reduced bill? I think not

Reactions: Robbo3006 and terri
Our bins are collected weekly, in qld if you have seafood put in plastic bags and in the freezer until collection ,that’s what we do with prawn shells etc , so no smell .
We live in Brisbane & do just the same as you. Everything, including food scraps (raw or cooked) are put into the freezer until bin day & then disposed of. No smell, no cockroaches, no flies or ants in the bin to cause a nuisance and health issues. Admittedly that does not fix the issue of baby nappies or personal products that southerners have. Don’t know their solution.

View attachment 29705

Key Takeaways

disposable nappies should only be used in emergencies or when travelling... people have become to bloody lazy, Cloth nappies can be reused and therefor save a lot of money in the long run... and yes even this male changed them and washed them many years ago, rarely see the grand kids and have never seen in person any of the great grandkids, thank goodness for the Internet

Collecting rubbish & recycling bins fortnightly with FOGO BINS weekly has been happening in my son’s suburb in Perth WA for a couple of years. Wish we had the same system in Launceston but alas no. Most weeks our rubbish bin goes out with practically nothing in it. My neighbours who have young children regularly use it for their overflow. My husband & I have learned to look very carefully at what we send to landfill & with our composting, recycling & FOGO there isn’t much left that’s actual rubbish.

Throw your rubbish down the stormwater drain, wait for it to block up, after a good rain it will flood the street and do damage to your property. Then sue the council.

I did it about 25 years ago - minus discarding the rubbish of course!
Tongue in cheek, as you have said in another post, I am sure! But what really bugs me is seeing home owners & so many mowing contractors who blow the lawn clippings onto the street and down towards storm water inlets. Don’t those clippings block drains as well? Our contractor has a mower that actually uses a catcher quite well & clippings at the side & back of the house are blown into the garden beds edging our property. And he sometimes puts the full catchers of grass in a heap at the back if we want it to rot down for mulch.

disposable nappies should only be used in emergencies or when travelling... people have become to bloody lazy, Cloth nappies can be reused and therefor save a lot of money in the long run... and yes even this male changed them and washed them many years ago, rarely see the grand kids and have never seen in person any of the great grandkids, thank goodness for the Internet
Washing cloth nappies seems to be hard work for young people these days!! Our children are now 55, 52, & 48 but they all had cloth nappies soaked in good old Napisan before being washed. Too easy these days for the disposables without any regard for the expense involved, then complain about the cost of living.

The Penrith council has been doing this for ages, now the outlying suburbs have bags of trash everywhere thrown on the side of the road because people don't want it sitting in their bin for two weeks becoming maggot infested, I live in a bush area and have to clean up the opposite side of the road every effin day , screw the council's, less aldermen and more service, self serving bastards learning how to become politicia
Hope it doesn’t happen in frankston my neighbours bin is always overflowing. 2 adults 1 bubba, smelly nappies etc after 1 week. I live alone so wouldn’t bother me. But not fair for families. 😁
People just need to learn how to use their bins correctly. I have the 3 bins and sort my garbage as fit for the bins. I do keep my 10c cans and bottles and currently have 4 bins full to get done,(some states are still lagging behind with this) but still manage not to over fill them.

Reactions: Rosi Gordon
A lot of the young ones are using a cloth type nappy. There is an insert inside a multi sized panty. And most of my family, extended and close, use these. Disposable are only used for occasions that they are unable to wash the nappies. But this still does make a lot of garbage.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Tongue in cheek, as you have said in another post, I am sure! But what really bugs me is seeing home owners & so many mowing contractors who blow the lawn clippings onto the street and down towards storm water inlets. Don’t those clippings block drains as well? Our contractor has a mower that actually uses a catcher quite well & clippings at the side & back of the house are blown into the garden beds edging our property. And he sometimes puts the full catchers of grass in a heap at the back if we want it to rot down for mulch.
In my case, stormwater drains were blocked on both sides of the road. one by tree foliage and the other was conveniently sealed with a plastic garbage bin lid. As the road was on a moderate incline and a slope towards the house, heavy rain inundated to bottom floor of my two storey house, damaging various appliances and a massive cleaning bill. Council accepted responsibility due to lack of maintenance and I was duly compensated.

So, if the Council is downgrading the humble rubbish bin pick from weekly to fortnightly... does this mean we will receive a discount... after all, non service costs them nothing? 🤔
You didn’t check out their generosity. You get less service but they are not going to charge you extra. How good is that?

Reactions: Ezzy and Gsr
Washing cloth nappies seems to be hard work for young people these days!! Our children are now 55, 52, & 48 but they all had cloth nappies soaked in good old Napisan before being washed. Too easy these days for the disposables without any regard for the expense involved, then complain about the cost of living.
I still have the good quality towelling nappies from when my grandies were babies ,if I remember correctly they are dri glo .Young ones these days go for the easy way out. Or maybe too lazy to spend the time washing .