Reports reveal Price Harry’s quest for UK sanctuary amidst family rifts and legal battles

The British Royal Family has always been a source of fascination and intrigue, with their lives unfolding like a modern-day Shakespearean drama.

The latest chapter in this ongoing saga involves Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, and his new quest in the United Kingdom amidst swirling rumours of discord with his wife, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

It appears that the allure of the American dream may be waning for Prince Harry, who, according to reports, is seeking to establish a foothold back in his native land.

The prince, who relocated to the United States with Meghan in 2020, was said to be yearning for a London base—a place to call his own when he's not nestled in the couple's Montecito estate.

compressed-shutterstock_2046480647.jpeg
Reports indicated Prince Harry is searching for a new UK home as friends are hesitant to visit him in the US amid alleged tensions with Meghan. Credits: Shutterstock

The Duke's desire for a UK residence came after the couple lost access to Frogmore Cottage, their former Windsor home, in June 2023.

This loss left Prince Harry without a permanent residence in the UK—a situation that royal commentator Tom Quinn suggested has left the prince feeling ‘sad’ and nostalgic for his former life.

‘As time goes by, Harry misses some aspects of his old life in the UK,’ Quinn shared.

‘Inevitably, the honeymoon period where everything in the States is new and exciting is coming to an end and Harry is looking back at the past through rose-tinted spectacles.’

Quinn painted a picture of a prince in a reflective mood, missing friends from his school and army days, ‘many of whom have not visited as they don’t get on with Meghan’.

The Duke's longing for a UK sanctuary is not just about bricks and mortar; it's a poignant reminder of the life he once envisioned.

In his 2023 memoir, Spare, Prince Harry expressed his sorrow over being ‘evicted’ from Frogmore Cottage, their residence from 2019 until they departed from royal duties and relocated from the UK a year later.

‘Once upon a time, this was going to be my forever home,’ he wrote.

‘Instead, it had proved to be just another brief stop.’

Adding to the Duke's challenges is the ongoing battle for security when he visits the UK.

Earlier this year, Prince Harry lost a court challenge against a British government decision to strip him of taxpayer-funded protection.

He initiated legal proceedings against the Home Office after it determined in February 2020 that he would no longer receive the ‘same degree’ of security measures while in the country.

The Duke of Sussex has consistently advocated for the safety of his family, frequently highlighting parallels between his wife's treatment and the experiences of his mother, Diana.

Princess Diana tragically passed away in 1997 due to internal injuries sustained in a high-speed car accident in Paris.

This legal tussle is one of several that Harry has been embroiled in.

In January of this year, he withdrew a libel claim against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), the publisher of the Mail on Sunday.

Prince Harry sued ANL for defamation over a February 2022 article about his High Court case against the UK’s Home Office regarding security arrangements during visits to the country.

In December 2023, the High Court in London determined that Harry had been subjected to phone hacking and other forms of ‘unlawful information gathering’ by Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN). The judge granted Harry A$267,000 in damages as part of the ruling.

Earlier this month, Harry reached a settlement in the remaining aspects of his phone-hacking case against MGN, with his lawyer indicating he would receive a ‘substantial’ payout.

As Prince Harry continues his search for a new residence amidst reported tensions with Meghan, recent developments have shed light on the complexities of their living arrangements.

Queen Elizabeth II's decision regarding their request to reside in Windsor Castle has sparked further intrigue in the dynamics within the royal family.

This decision underscores the ongoing negotiations and considerations surrounding the couple's future plans and royal affiliations.
Key Takeaways

• Prince Harry was reported to be looking for a new home in the UK as friends are reluctant to visit him in the US due to alleged rifts with Meghan.
  • Royal commentator Tom Quinn suggested Harry's decision to find a UK home is partly due to missing his old friends, many of whom allegedly have issues with Meghan.
  • It was reported that the Duke of Sussex wanted a permanent base in London and was feeling nostalgic about aspects of his life in the UK following the loss of Frogmore Cottage.
  • Prince Harry had been involved in legal battles in the UK, losing a court challenge against a government decision to strip him of taxpayer-funded security and settling a phone-hacking case with a substantial payout.
Have you ever felt the pull of home after a long time away? How important is it to have a sanctuary to return to? We invite you to share your thoughts on this royal development in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
He has probably realised, with his father and Princess Kate being sick, that nobody is around forever. He most likely wants to spend more time in the UK with them but needs his own home to do that. As much as I’d like the so-called rumours about him and Meghan splitting up (I’ve never liked her) it’s also an opportunity to be able to bring his children back to the UK to spend time with their grandfather.

He has probably realised, with his father and Princess Kate being sick, that nobody is around forever. He most likely wants to spend more time in the UK with them but needs his own home to do that. As much as I’d like the so-called rumours about him and Meghan splitting up (I’ve never liked her) it’s also an opportunity to be able to bring his children back to the UK to spend time with their grandfather.
I doubt those kids will every see their royal family Megan will make sure of that as she has so far and it has been said those kids will never be on English land. She has him wrapped around her little finger by useing the disgusting pretenting to be Diana. But he is a big boy if he wakes up in time to be with his family before they pass.

I don't believe anything that is written or said about Harry and Meaghan. Leave them to live theirs lives in peace.
In asking about longing for a home one once lived in.
I often go back in my mind to the first home l grew up in. I spent the first nine years the happiest of my childhood in this house. Then my parents seperated and nothing was ever the same. After moving six more times none of those houses ever felt like home like the first house. I didn't feel the same until my husband and l purchased our house back in 1981. It took many years before l felt a true comfortable attachment to my home. I just love my little house of sticks. It's a weather board.
When you walk in our house it puts its arms around you.
Kind regards to all Vicki.
I hope no matter where you all live l hope you feel the same you get a big hug each time you walk through the door of your home.

I don't believe anything that is written or said about Harry and Meaghan. Leave them to live theirs lives in peace.
I often go back in my mind to the first home l grew up in. I spent the first nine years the happiest of my childhood in this house. Then my parents seperated and nothing was ever the same. After moving six more times none of those houses ever felt like home like the first house. I didn't feel the same until my husband and l purchased our house back in 1981. It took many years before l felt a true comfortable attachment to my home. I just love my little house of sticks. It's a weather board.
I hope no matter where you all live l hope you feel the same you get a big hug each time you walk through the door of your home.
They threw our Queen under a bus.

I understand Harry’s feelings for his loyalty for England
I myself feels that I left England 12 months after I was married in 1963 not by choice by 2 year trial and my love of my birthplace is still there and want my ashes when I die to go back to my home land.

I don't know how much of what is out there about the couple is true or not, but if the Spare book is all truth, one wonders why he would want to go back to a family where he felt so awful growing up. According to a couple of interviews I saw of photographers who traveled with Harry in his single days, Harry had a great relationship with the press especially one very elderly retired photographer who said Harry often had a joke and a drink with them at the end of the day. Now the press is enemy Number 1 who hounded him day and night etc. So very sad.

I’ve loved everywhere we have lived but once we move on I feel no attachment to the past. We lived in our last home for 36 years, brought up our boys there and then grandkids came along. The house was always the party house, lots of celebrations and fun. Everyone welcome and anyone around at meal times got fed when the kids were growing up. I really thought I would miss that house but I honestly don‘t. It was time to move on. Now we have a new home to love.

How does an outer suburb of Ulaanbaatar sound instead?
I think Ulaanbaatar is the city where there is a museum housing mummies of the Celtic people who got to that part of Asia before the Asians. Their bodies were well preserved in tombs in a general area that was close to a salt desert; photos in The Australian Weekend Magazine I recall in 1994. The red-headed Harry could perhaps claim his ancestral land-rights?

The Uighurs may be their descendents from around several thousand years ago. Celts were also occupying Ukraine around 3 200 years back,

I understand that feeling though I’m still looking for my home. My Dad was in the army and being posted every 18 months as I was growing up. Granted we moved back and forth between the same suburbs in Sydney and Townsville but it was always different obviously with others moving on with life and such. It will be out there somewhere, however my home is when I go to visit my parents. I’m blessed to still have them both 🫶

I think Ulaanbaatar is the city where there is a museum housing mummies of the Celtic people who got to that part of Asia before the Asians. Their bodies were well preserved in tombs in a general area that was close to a salt desert; photos in The Australian Weekend Magazine I recall in 1994. The red-headed Harry could perhaps claim his ancestral land-rights?

The Uighurs may be their descendents from around several thousand years ago. Celts were also occupying Ukraine around 3 200 years back,
That’s a lot of knowledge! Thanks for sharing