Rent shock: Australian pensioners face sky-high increases—find out if you're next!

As the cost of living continues to climb, Australian pensioners face a new challenge threatening their financial stability and comfort: skyrocketing rent prices.

Laura Stroud, a pensioner who has lived in her rental property for the last four decades, is one of the many tenants grappling with this harsh reality.

Recent rent hikes have pushed her weekly payments to an eye-watering $500, forcing Stroud and others like her to make tough choices about their day-to-day expenses.

The rental market has been a hot topic across Australia, with record increases and a scarcity of available properties exacerbating the situation over the past few years.

Domain's latest Rent Report suggested that while the era of steep rent rises may plateau in some regions, the damage has already been done to many tenants.

For Stroud, who resides in Melbourne's Chelsea, the $68 weekly increase threatens her way of life.

1720395152471.png
Laura Stroud, a pensioner in Melbourne's Chelsea, faced a $68 weekly rent increase, which raised her rent to $500. Credit: Shutterstock

'I’ve been here since the house was built. I moved in in 1983,' she shared.

'I’ve raised my children here and helped raise my grandchildren.'

The Melbourne resident suffered from Fibromyalgia and relied on a disability pension.

Although she lives in public housing, her rent is pegged to the market rate, which is independently assessed based on the property's age, size, and type, which is in line with private rentals in the area.

The sudden jump in rent has left her 'appalled' and scrambling to adjust her already tight budget.

‘Normally, they put the rent up about $20 or sometimes $30 each time, and then all of a sudden it’s $68 a week,’ Stroud continued.

‘I’m just appalled, absolutely appalled that it can be allowed to jump that much on a weekly basis.’

Stroud lived with a caregiver who contributes to part of the rent, but she mentioned that the rent hike would still be difficult for her to manage.

‘I don’t want to leave my home, so I’ll have to find a way,’ she said.

‘It just means that other things won’t be possible, and I’ll try to lower other bills and cut off some things and just live differently, I guess.’

Stroud mentioned that she made a conscious effort to turn off lights and appliances on the wall.

However, she would need to reduce heating, groceries, and health insurance expenses to manage the rent increase.

‘It’d be the essentials. There’s nothing I can really do; I don’t go out and party or go to the movies or anything like that,’ she stated.

Public housing tenants can typically expect their rent to be capped at 25 per cent of their household income, with the option to apply for rental rebates.

1720395252612.png
Domain's latest Rent Report suggested rent increases in some parts of Australia were slowing. Credit: Shutterstock

‘This ensures public housing remains affordable and fair,’ a Homes Victoria spokesperson assured.

‘This process happens every year and provides tenants with an opportunity to update their declared income with Homes Victoria to ensure they only pay what they can afford. This means for some tenants, their rent will go down.’

Unfortunately, Stroud is not eligible for these rebates and must pay the total market rent.

Many Australians wonder whether rent prices are going down anywhere in the country.

While Domain's report indicated that rent prices are either stalling, falling, or growing slower, capital cities are still experiencing record highs.

House rents in Sydney and Perth have remained steady but at record levels, while Melbourne, Brisbane, Darwin, Adelaide, and Canberra have all seen increases to new records.

On the flip side, there are glimmers of hope for renters. The asking rent for houses has stagnated in Sydney and Perth and declined in Hobart.

Melbourne and Brisbane's rent increases have slowed to half the previous quarterly pace. Growth has halved across the combined capitals for units, with prices stalling or decreasing in several cities.

Several factors contribute to this slowdown, including a gradual increase in rental availability, easing rental demand, and a peak in overseas migration.

Additionally, government strategies to slow population growth and initiatives to encourage first-home ownership are expected to provide some relief for tenants.

House rents across the capital rose by 11.1 per cent annually to a new record of $650 per week, and unit rents rose by 8.6 per cent annually to $630 per week.

In related news, a tenant in South Australia won a tribunal case against their landlord, who then sent a spiteful email in response.

A tenant advocate shared the contentious email on social media, leading to widespread criticism of the landlord's unprofessional conduct. More details about the story can be found here.

Key Takeaways

• Laura Stroud, a pensioner in Melbourne's Chelsea, faced an unaffordable $68 weekly rent increase pushing her rent to $500.
  • Domain’s latest Rent Report suggested that the rapid increase in rent across some parts of Australia is slowing.
  • Public housing tenants like Stroud, who pay market rent, may need help despite rent being capped at 25 per cent of household income for most.
  • Rents have reached record highs in capital cities. Slowing growth and increasing rental availability may provide some relief in the future.

Have you experienced a significant rent hike recently? How are you coping with the rising cost of living? Share your stories and tips in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
My public housing rent went up $50 per week from $293 to $343, but thank heavens we are on pensions. That reduced it to $325 but still is an awful rise.

• Wow
Reactions: Gsr, Ezzy and Liz
I don't understand how public housing is so expensive for those on pensions and other centrelink payments. It does not make sense and how can they possibly afford these payments and live. I thought they were meant to be reasonable rates. The government clearly has alot of work to do to assess these correctly

Not rent hike, but as a disabled pensioner,,, i can’t even afford to have my home and contents insured,,,, along with rates, power, and water,,,, disgusting water,,, you can’t even boil potatoes in it they come out rusty red,,,,,, and I have to get friends to help me out by carting 10 x 10 litre water containers, for me to use,,,,

Why can’t she be UN PEGGED from the market value? To think she could have bought that home, and now own it whole. Surely all her conditions etc., would qualify for something.

Reactions: Gsr and LeahI
I read this several times... its seems to me that Mrs Stroud has an income that does not allow for a rebate... therefore the 25% of her income is not applicable. She must pay full rent as she has too much money to be eligible. It seems to me that she is just taking advantage of the system. She keeps the advantage of staying in public housing so she can remain in a stable rental..... she should look at private rentals before she advertises how much money she has.... we are all suffering and she is better off than a lot of Australians

Reactions: Joydie and Ezzy
TO ADMIN, is there anyway to forward these comments to the Government to read, I'm sure they have NO IDEA of what's really happening out there.
They don't care..... eliminate the pensioners as they do not contribute to society..... the quicker the better....

Reactions: Gsr
The Government has no idea how the non-politicians live & just don't care. They just follow the party line & really don't care how you & I get on. Until politicians have to live on the same money as us & no perks of the job then we will see no change.
Don't forget a certain prime minister was brought up in social housing with one parent. He should know what these people are going through.

Reactions: IAN3005
Going back to the latter '50's, it was always drilled into my sis., bro., & self, by our parents that we MUST buy a house at all costs when starting out in the work force & to start saving for same. There's a "Mill" of us around today where, in the late 60's to early 70's, interest rates for real estate started at abt 7-8%. By the mid 80's we were paying 17%. It was Real Bloody hard then. Wages were next to nothing compared to todays.

One thing is for sure, is, "It Wasn't Damned Easy". Especially with a few kids to feed & upbring as well.

Everything totally amazes me with all of the "Older" population who write abt hardships of the cost paying rent, never owned a property, doing it hard, cost of living etc., it begs the question, i.e., didn't they ever make the effort & sacrifice like we had too, to have the aspiration to buy a property ?

The "Majority" of us, self incl., had to start off on scratch. But, somehow managed to do it. I had to start sometime. Just glad I did. As the "Cliche" goes, "Hindsight is a Wonderful Thing".

Reactions: Joydie and Ezzy