Remembering the lives of Rugby legend JPR Williams (74) and Theatre icon Kellie Dickerson (53)

The rugby and theatre community are mourning the passing of two of its most iconic figures, JPR Williams (74) and Kellie Dickerson (53).

Known for his distinctive sideburns, rolled-down socks, and no-nonsense style of play, Williams was a titan of the sport, leaving an indelible mark on the game that will be remembered for generations to come.

Born John Peter Rhys Williams, the Welsh full-back was a key player in the golden era of Welsh rugby during the 1970s.

His initials, JPR, became synonymous with the sport, and even today, they remain one of the most recognised sets of initials in global rugby.

SDC Images (6).png
May JPR Williams and Kellie Dickerson rest in peace. Image sources: British & Irish Lions (left), Facebook/Rhonda Burchmore (right).

Williams' rugby career was nothing short of extraordinary.

He earned his first cap for Wales at the tender age of 19 in 1969, and by 1971, he was the starting Lions Test full-back in New Zealand.

His performance in the Lions' historic series victory, particularly his crucial long-range goal in the fourth and final Test, cemented his status as a rugby legend.

But Williams was not just a player; he was a game-changer. He revolutionised the role of full-backs, bringing a level of strength, commitment, and athleticism that was previously unseen.

He played 55 times for his country and made eight Test appearances for the British & Irish Lions. He also won three Five Nations grand slams in eight seasons between 1971 and 1978.

Furthermore, Williams' record against England is a testament to his prowess on the field.

In 10 Tests against them for Wales, he was never on the losing side and scored five tries.

His resilience and determination were also evident off the field. After receiving a face stamp from the All Black John Ashworth in 1978 that required 30 stitches, Williams returned to the field and finished the game.

Beyond his rugby career, Williams was a man of many talents.

He was a successful tennis player in his youth, winning the 1966 British junior title at Wimbledon.

However, he chose to pursue rugby, an amateur sport at the time, to further his medical career as an orthopaedic surgeon.

Williams' dedication to his medical career was such that he chose not to go on the 1977 tour to New Zealand, instead focusing on his 'other' career as an orthopaedic surgeon.

He finally retired from international rugby in 1981 to concentrate on his medical career but continued to play for Tondu for many years.

Tributes have poured in from across the rugby world, with his former club, Bridgend Ravens, leading the way.

'Bridgend Ravens are devastated to announce the passing of JPR Williams,' the club said in a statement on social media.

'One of Bridgend’s most decorated players and an icon of world rugby, JPR served the club most recently as club president. Our thoughts are with JPR’s family and friends at this sad time.'

His former Lions captain Bill Beaumont, now Chairman of World Rugby, also paid tribute.

'We have lost a true giant of the game. A legend for Wales & the Lions during an incredible era for Welsh rugby,' Beaumont said.

The Williams family released a statement saying, 'JPR died peacefully today at the University Hospital of Wales surrounded by his loving wife and four children, after a short illness, bravely battling bacterial meningitis. The family request privacy at this difficult time.'

On the other hand, the Australian theatre community is mourning the loss of one of its brightest stars, Kellie Dickerson, who passed away at the young age of 53.

The cause of her untimely death was Multiple System Atrophy (MSA), a rare neurodegenerative disorder.

This news was confirmed by her agent, Working Management, who shared a heartfelt tribute on social media, celebrating her life and contributions to the industry.

'It was both a joy and honour to be your friend and agent. You gave so much to so many,' they said.

'A true icon of the industry. Your energy, kindness and talent were boundless.'

'You never gave up the fight, humour, grace, or Wordle!'

Kellie was a beloved figure in the Australian theatre scene, known for her boundless energy, kindness, and immense talent.

She was an award-winning director renowned for her work on popular musicals such as Wicked, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and City of Angels.

In 2008, Kellie lost her partner, Rob Guest, to a stroke when he was just 57.

In 2020, she was diagnosed with (MSA), a disorder that affects the body's involuntary functions, including blood pressure and motor control.

The disease shares many symptoms with Parkinson's disease and currently has no cure. The average life expectancy from the time symptoms first appear is 7-10 years.

Kellie first noticed symptoms such as low blood pressure and slurred speech in 2018.

'First of all, I noticed my balance was poor, so I would stumble, and the second thing was my speech was a little slurred as if I was drunk, but of course I wasn't. I wouldn't drink at work,' Kellie said.

'I went to a doctor, and I demanded an MRI scan because I thought it was better to know than not to know, and the first one came back normal, and so they said, "You are crazy", and I said "no, there is something not quite right".'

Despite initial misdiagnoses, she insisted on further testing, leading to her eventual diagnosis after a two-year battle.

'Basically, the last two years have been a whirlwind of doctors, with me insisting that something was not right and them saying everything was fine,' she added.

'And gradually the second MRI showed something not right, but it wasn't a brain tumour, it wasn't cancer—which is something to be grateful for—and not MS. It was this rare condition called MSA.'

As her disease progressed, she retired from theatre and moved back to her hometown of Dubbo, NSW, where she was cared for by her parents.
Key Takeaways
  • Welsh rugby legend JPR Williams, known for his full-back role, has passed away at the age of 74.
  • Williams was recognised for altering the perception of the full-back's role with his strong and committed style of play.
  • Tributes poured in from the rugby community, honouring his contributions to the game both as a player and a surgeon.
  • Australian musical theatre star Kellie Dickerson has passed away at age 53 after a battle with Multiple System Atrophy (MSA), a rare neurodegenerative disorder.
  • Dickerson was diagnosed with MSA in 2020, following a challenging period of initial misdiagnoses after noticing symptoms in 2018, such as low blood pressure and slurred speech.
  • Dickerson had retired from theatre in 2020 due to her illness and was being cared for by her parents in Dubbo, NSW, at the time of her passing.
Williams and Dickerson are great losses to the world of rugby and theatre arts, respectively, but their legacy will live on. Their contributions to their respective fields have left an indelible mark, and their spirit will continue to inspire and influence future generations of players and theatre artists.

Our thoughts are with their family, friends, and colleagues. May JPR Williams and Kellie Dickerson rest in peace.

Sponsored
The rugby and theatre community are mourning the passing of two of its most iconic figures, JPR Williams (74) and Kellie Dickerson (53).

Known for his distinctive sideburns, rolled-down socks, and no-nonsense style of play, Williams was a titan of the sport, leaving an indelible mark on the game that will be remembered for generations to come.

Born John Peter Rhys Williams, the Welsh full-back was a key player in the golden era of Welsh rugby during the 1970s.

His initials, JPR, became synonymous with the sport, and even today, they remain one of the most recognised sets of initials in global rugby.

View attachment 38929
May JPR Williams and Kellie Dickerson rest in peace. Image sources: British & Irish Lions (left), Facebook/Rhonda Burchmore (right).

He earned his first cap for Wales at the tender age of 19 in 1969, and by 1971, he was the starting Lions Test full-back in New Zealand.

His performance in the Lions' historic series victory, particularly his crucial long-range goal in the fourth and final Test, cemented his status as a rugby legend.

But Williams was not just a player; he was a game-changer. He revolutionised the role of full-backs, bringing a level of strength, commitment, and athleticism that was previously unseen.

He played 55 times for his country and made eight Test appearances for the British & Irish Lions. He also won three Five Nations grand slams in eight seasons between 1971 and 1978.

Furthermore, Williams' record against England is a testament to his prowess on the field.

In 10 Tests against them for Wales, he was never on the losing side and scored five tries.

His resilience and determination were also evident off the field. After receiving a face stamp from the All Black John Ashworth in 1978 that required 30 stitches, Williams returned to the field and finished the game.

He was a successful tennis player in his youth, winning the 1966 British junior title at Wimbledon.

However, he chose to pursue rugby, an amateur sport at the time, to further his medical career as an orthopaedic surgeon.

Williams' dedication to his medical career was such that he chose not to go on the 1977 tour to New Zealand, instead focusing on his 'other' career as an orthopaedic surgeon.

He finally retired from international rugby in 1981 to concentrate on his medical career but continued to play for Tondu for many years.

Tributes have poured in from across the rugby world, with his former club, Bridgend Ravens, leading the way.

'Bridgend Ravens are devastated to announce the passing of JPR Williams,' the club said in a statement on social media.

'One of Bridgend’s most decorated players and an icon of world rugby, JPR served the club most recently as club president. Our thoughts are with JPR’s family and friends at this sad time.'

His former Lions captain Bill Beaumont, now Chairman of World Rugby, also paid tribute.

'We have lost a true giant of the game. A legend for Wales & the Lions during an incredible era for Welsh rugby,' Beaumont said.

The Williams family released a statement saying, 'JPR died peacefully today at the University Hospital of Wales surrounded by his loving wife and four children, after a short illness, bravely battling bacterial meningitis. The family request privacy at this difficult time.'

On the other hand, the Australian theatre community is mourning the loss of one of its brightest stars, Kellie Dickerson, who passed away at the young age of 53.

The cause of her untimely death was Multiple System Atrophy (MSA), a rare neurodegenerative disorder.

This news was confirmed by her agent, Working Management, who shared a heartfelt tribute on social media, celebrating her life and contributions to the industry.

'It was both a joy and honour to be your friend and agent. You gave so much to so many,' they said.

Kellie was a beloved figure in the Australian theatre scene, known for her boundless energy, kindness, and immense talent.

She was an award-winning director renowned for her work on popular musicals such as Wicked, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and City of Angels.

In 2020, she was diagnosed with (MSA), a disorder that affects the body's involuntary functions, including blood pressure and motor control.

The disease shares many symptoms with Parkinson's disease and currently has no cure. The average life expectancy from the time symptoms first appear is 7-10 years.

Kellie first noticed symptoms such as low blood pressure and slurred speech in 2018.

'First of all, I noticed my balance was poor, so I would stumble, and the second thing was my speech was a little slurred as if I was drunk, but of course I wasn't. I wouldn't drink at work,' Kellie said.

'I went to a doctor, and I demanded an MRI scan because I thought it was better to know than not to know, and the first one came back normal, and so they said, "You are crazy", and I said "no, there is something not quite right".'

Despite initial misdiagnoses, she insisted on further testing, leading to her eventual diagnosis after a two-year battle.

'Basically, the last two years have been a whirlwind of doctors, with me insisting that something was not right and them saying everything was fine,' she added.

'And gradually the second MRI showed something not right, but it wasn't a brain tumour, it wasn't cancer—which is something to be grateful for—and not MS. It was this rare condition called MSA.'

As her disease progressed, she retired from theatre and moved back to her hometown of Dubbo, NSW, where she was cared for by her parents.
Key Takeaways

• Welsh rugby legend JPR Williams, known for his full-back role, has passed away at the age of 74.
  • Williams was recognised for altering the perception of the full-back's role with his strong and committed style of play.
  • Tributes poured in from the rugby community, honouring his contributions to the game both as a player and a surgeon.
  • Australian musical theatre star Kellie Dickerson has passed away at age 53 after a battle with Multiple System Atrophy (MSA), a rare neurodegenerative disorder.
  • Dickerson was diagnosed with MSA in 2020, following a challenging period of initial misdiagnoses after noticing symptoms in 2018, such as low blood pressure and slurred speech.
  • Dickerson had retired from theatre in 2020 due to her illness and was being cared for by her parents in Dubbo, NSW, at the time of her passing.
Williams and Dickerson are great losses to the world of rugby and theatre arts, respectively, but their legacy will live on. Their contributions to their respective fields have left an indelible mark, and their spirit will continue to inspire and influence future generations of players and theatre artists.

Our thoughts are with their family, friends, and colleagues. May JPR Williams and Kellie Dickerson rest in peace.

I noticed the legend of world football passed away too! The Kaiser Franz Beckenbaur was a legendary player and coach. World cup champion as both a player and as a coach.

View attachment 38929

Key Takeaways

It would have been more appropriate to mention kelpie first as she is Australian.

RIP To both of them 🙏 I have heard of Kellie Dickerson but not of JPR Williams, hubby is a big NRL supporter and hasn't heard of williams
NRL is Australians National Rugby League. Rugby League is only played in a very few countries. Rugby Union is played world wide. JPR was a union player. Champion, but a bit of an A**hole too.

Reactions: Suzanne rose