Remembering the life of legendary singer and guitarist Frank Ifield (86)

The Australian music scene has lost one of its pioneering figures with the passing of Frank Ifield, a name that resonates with the golden era of music, both in Australia and abroad.

At the age of 86, the legendary singer and guitarist who once had The Beatles as his support act, passed away 'peacefully' on May 18.

Frank Ifield's journey into the annals of music history began in the suburbs of Sydney, where he grew up in Dural, nurturing a deep love for country music from a young age.

His passion was ignited when he received a ukulele for his 11th birthday, and it wasn't long before he was performing in class, feeling an instinctive pull towards a life in music.

His website recounts this pivotal moment, where he 'instinctively knew (music) was to be my calling’.

GOBHVomX0AAN-Eg.jpg
Frank Ifield passed away at the age of 86. Image source: @RadioTimes/X (Twitter)

His grandmother's gift of a guitar at the age of 13 was the catalyst for Ifield to start writing his own songs, and it wasn't long before he secured a recording contract with EMI Regal Zonophone.

His talent quickly propelled him to stardom, and he was promoted to EMI’s prestigious Columbia Label, gracing radio and TV shows with his presence.

In 1959, Ifield took a gamble that would pay off immensely, moving to London to try his luck.

It was there that he became a household name in the UK, churning out four number-one hits in the 1960s: ‘I Remember You’, ‘Lovesick Blues’, ‘Wayward Wind’, and ‘Confessin’ (That I Love You)’.

But perhaps one of his most notable contributions to music history was giving The Beatles, then a burgeoning band, a chance to shine as the support act for his one-night-stand touring show.

GN_dgVsaYAAkmqL.jpg
The Beatles played as Ifield’s support act in the UK. Image source: @Number96Bk/X (Twitter)

Ifield's unique singing style, which melded his falsetto with a slight yodel, set him apart from his contemporaries and endeared him to fans across the globe.

His attempt to represent the UK in the Eurovision Song Contest saw him come in second in 1962 with ‘Alone Too Long’, further cementing his place in the music world.

His talents weren't confined to the recording studio or the stage; Ifield also found success on the big screen, starring in the 1965 feature film Up Jumped A Swagman, and made appearances on several TV shows, including In Melbourne Tonight and Spicks & Specks.

Recognition for his contributions to the arts came in many forms. In 2003, he was inducted into the Australia Roll of Renown, followed by the ARIA Hall of Fame in 2007.

In 2009, he was honoured with a Medal of the Order of Australia for his 'service to the arts as an entertainer’.

Reflecting on his illustrious career, Ifield wrote on his website, 'During my career, I have played all the places I dreamed of and more.'

His dreams took him far and wide, leaving an indelible mark on the music industry.

Frank Ifield is survived by his wife, Carole Wood, and his two children from his previous marriage to Gillian Bowden.

His voice, his style, and his charm will continue to live on through his recordings, in the memories of his fans, and in the history of Australian music.

Ifield has previously talked about his career here:

Source: Studio 10/YouTube​

Key Takeaways
  • Australian singer and guitarist Frank Ifield has passed away at the age of 86.
  • Frank Ifield gave The Beatles their start when they played as his support act in the UK and had several number-one hits.
  • He was a versatile entertainer, known for his singing style, which included a falsetto and a slight yodel. He also found success in film and television.
  • Frank Ifield was inducted into the Australia Roll of Renown, the ARIA Hall of Fame, and was awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia for his service to the arts.
We offer our deepest condolences to Frank Ifield's family and friends at this difficult time. May he rest in peace.

As we bid farewell to this iconic figure, we invite you to share your memories of Frank Ifield. Did you ever see him perform live, or perhaps you have a favourite song that takes you back to a special time in your life? Let's celebrate the life and artistry of Frank Ifield together in the comments below.

Sponsored
Blimey charley. Another great performer will be another very bright star appearing & performing on the "Big Stage" upstairs. His big hits, I Remember You will be sung in the Wayward Wind around the heavens for eternity. Just simply loved his style of singing & his persona. A great "Act" has parted our way.

Oh I loved his voice and his songs! Another sad day for sure...my condolences to his family and loved ones. My fave song of his was Wayward Wind...I loved that song as a child. May he be heard forever more on that wayward wind of the sky...

three days later and my tears still fall, my heart in a million pieces. You see I grew up and sang with Frank. His Dad was a builder, my father was a plumber and drainer and they belonged to the same Masonic club. Frank actually got his guitar for his 14th birthday, I was 10. We'd sit on the glass enclosed front verandah in the sun, singing and yodelling our hearts out. One day I told him " you're going to make a record" He just grinned and said "no, You and I are going to make a record". He had a beautiful family, our Mums were close and his brother used to try and stop my father and brother saying to me "get off the cat's tail and give the dog a go". My confidence always took a battering. I knew Frank was gone when I heard him sing in my head "I remember You". Fly high my wonderful singing mate. I loved you then and will do until the day I actually see you again.

three days later and my tears still fall, my heart in a million pieces. You see I grew up and sang with Frank. His Dad was a builder, my father was a plumber and drainer and they belonged to the same Masonic club. Frank actually got his guitar for his 14th birthday, I was 10. We'd sit on the glass enclosed front verandah in the sun, singing and yodelling our hearts out. One day I told him " you're going to make a record" He just grinned and said "no, You and I are going to make a record". He had a beautiful family, our Mums were close and his brother used to try and stop my father and brother saying to me "get off the cat's tail and give the dog a go". My confidence always took a battering. I knew Frank was gone when I heard him sing in my head "I remember You". Fly high my wonderful singing mate. I loved you then and will do until the day I actually see you again.
Lovely memories. 💐

One of my Mothers and Grandmothers Favourite singers. I grew up hearing his music and knowing it well.
My uncle's favourite was Wayward Wind ,which I hated when I was young.
When ever I hear one of his songs on the radio now it brings back alot of childhood memories.

It wasn't until I got older that I actually appreciated his music, but as a teenager while my mum and nan listened to his music I was listening to the likes of Suzy Q , Rod Stewart ect .

RRP MR Ifield

Reactions: Ezzy
When he performed in U.K. all the women thought he was so good looking they wanted to move to Australia and said "are all the men there like that" - he certainly set hearts a-flutter!!!