Remembering the life of Catherina van der Linden, Australia's oldest person

Australia has bid farewell to one of its most remarkable residents, Catherina van der Linden, who passed away peacefully on January 26, 2024, at the venerable age of 111.

The aged care facility in Adelaide, South Australia (SA), where she spent her final years, confirmed the news of her passing.

In a statement, the facility said: ‘Catherina, who was Australia’s oldest person, gently went into the night at West Beach Residential Care on Australia Day surrounded by her loving family and supported by our compassionate staff.’

Born in the Netherlands in 1912, Ms van der Linden embarked on a life-changing journey in 1955, migrating to Australia with her young family.

Not only was she Australia's oldest person, but she also held the distinction of being the oldest Dutch person in the world.

_DSC7399.jpg
Catherina van der Linden passed away on January 26. Source: Southern Cross Care

Ms van der Linden's life was a testament to resilience and adaptability. She navigated multiple career paths: working in nursing, serving as a clerical assistant, and even trying her hand at grape picking for a season.

In her later years, she demonstrated her generosity in her volunteer work with Meals on Wheels in the Adelaide Hills, where she gave her time to help those in need.

In 2019, she moved into an aged care facility at West Beach in Adelaide, where she became a beacon of healthy ageing.

Her love for walking and regular gym sessions made her a role model for fellow residents, demonstrating that age is no barrier to maintaining an active lifestyle.

28269-Catherina van der Linden (8)-2.jpg
Ms van der Linden was an inspiration for her fellow aged care residents. Source: Southern Cross Care

'I push myself sometimes when I’m getting a bit tired, and I think it’s about time to do something to yourself to see that you still have that energy you had before,' Ms van der Linden said in an interview last year.

'I still go on the bike, sometimes for 10 minutes, and that is a long time to spend on the bike,' she added.

On her 111th birthday in August last year, she shared two pearls of wisdom that encapsulated her approach to life: 'Be happy with yourself and be content with what life gives you,' and 'Keep moving, don't sit still.'

Ms Van der Linden leaves behind a rich legacy, survived by her four children, ten grandchildren, and 16 great-grandchildren.

Her life will be celebrated and remembered at a memorial service in Pasadena, SA, on March 15.

In a final act of generosity, she donated her body to The University of Adelaide Body Donation Program, hoping to contribute to advancing medical science through research.

You can watch 7News Australia’s story here:

Key Takeaways
  • Catherina van der Linden, formerly Australia's oldest person, passed away at 111.
  • She migrated from the Netherlands to Australia in 1955 and lived a varied life, undertaking careers in nursing, clerical work, and grape picking.
  • She encouraged others to be content with life and keep active, exemplifying this with her regular walking and gym sessions even into her final years.
  • Ms Van der Linden’s body has been donated to The University of Adelaide Body Donation Program, and a memorial service will be held for her in Adelaide.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Ms Van der Linden’s family at this difficult time. May she rest in peace.

Sponsored
There you go folks , keep moving and be positive , my mother passed away last June 2023 at the grand old age of 103 yrs. She always went to the gym and did swimming as well which she mastered when she was 55 yrs. Born at a busy dairy farm in the Netherlands . She was also very arty/crafty . R.I.P. Catherine !

The Viking heritage is mainly from the Scandinavian countries like Norway, Sweden , Denmark and Iceland as well.
The Netherlands is more south.
Ah yes, but there were the Frisinas Vikings recorded in those historical times...history has answers. They all visited each other with various motives..mostly Viking wars...

Well done to her having the title of being the oldest living Dutch person in the world. I read her family said she inherited a 'freaky gene' like her aunt who also lived to 111. Fatigue and aching bones would be included probably.

Well done to her having the title of being the oldest living Dutch person in the world. I read her family said she inherited a 'freaky gene' like her aunt who also lived to 111. Fatigue and aching bones would be included probably.
Blimey no hope for me I’ve got fatigue and creaky aching bones already.🤣

• Haha
Reactions: magpie1