Remembering the life of Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs legend Geoff Robinson (66)

The Australian rugby league community mourns after losing one of its most beloved figures.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs legend Geoff Robinson—a player who epitomised the spirit of the game—has passed away at the age of 66.

His passing was not just a loss to the sport but to the many fans who admired his tenacity on the field and his character off it.

Geoff Robinson's journey with the Bulldogs began in 1977.

For the next seven years, he would become a cornerstone of the team, playing 139 first-grade games.

After a brief stint with the United Kingdom's Halifax Panthers in 1985, he returned to the Bulldogs in 1986.

Robinson's career with the Bulldogs was marked by three grand final appearances and two premiership victories, etching his name into the club's history.

compressed-geoff robinson.jpeg
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs paid tribute to Geoff Robinson and his contributions to the sport. Image Credit: Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs

Yet, it was not just his sporting achievements that made 'Robbo' a legend.

Known as 'the Wild Man of Belmore' on the field, he was instantly recognisable by his shoulder-length black hair and his ferocious play style.

His hard-hitting tackles and no-nonsense approach to the game made him a fan favourite and a respected adversary.

Off-field, his larger-than-life personality and his loyalty to friends and family defined him as much as his rugby league prowess.

In 2021, Robinson faced the biggest challenge of his life when he was diagnosed with throat cancer.

The battle with the disease saw him plummet from 92 kg to 64kg, but his spirit remained unbroken.

'I have always thought of myself as a pretty strong person, but this has gotten me a couple of times. I'll be honest—it has brought me to tears,' he shared in an interview with the Daily Telegraph.

The news of his passing prompted an outpour of tributes from all corners of the rugby league community.

His friend and Bulldogs sponsor, Arthur Laundy, remembered him as 'the most decent and loyal bloke'.

'Everyone loved Robbo. They loved the way he played football,' he added.

Meanwhile, former teammate Paul Langmack spoke of the lessons he learned from Robinson.

Fans and friends alike took to social media to share their memories and condolences.

Robinson's legacy extends beyond the field and into the hearts of Bulldogs fans.

Beyond the accolades and the memories, Geoff Robinson left behind a loving family.

He is survived by his wife Janine, whom he married at 18, their seven children—Layla, Hayden, Travis, Jayde, Nadine, Simone, and Joel—and his grandchildren.

The family's loss is shared by the wider community, who mourn the passing of not just a rugby league legend but a man who embodied the spirit of camaraderie, resilience, and heart that the game represents.
Key Takeaways

• Rugby league legend Geoff Robinson passed away at the age of 66 following a battle with throat cancer.
  • Robinson had a distinguished career with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, playing 139 first-grade games, and won two premierships.
  • Known as 'the Wild Man of Belmore' for his aggressive style on the field, Robinson was also remembered fondly for his kindness and generosity to fans.
  • Geoff Robinson left behind his wife Janine, their seven children, and grandchildren, along with numerous fans and former teammates who shared heartfelt tributes recalling his impact.
As we reflect on Geoff Robinson's life and legacy, let's come together to celebrate a man who was a true Bulldogs icon.

May he rest in peace.

Sponsored
Far too young. Hard to fight something bigger than yourself, but he gave it his best. RIP now, free from any pain.

Reactions: Ezzy
RIP Geoff Robinson

I live in the Canterbury Bankstown area and I remember when one of my sons played rugby league Geoff Robinson did a training day with them. I think they were more interested in his hair and beard than training.

Gone way too early.

My thoughts and prayers 🙏 are with his family

"Robbo" certainly played the game of r/league wearing his heart on his sleeve of the white & blue jersey on the field of play. It would have been very interesting to see him playing & facing up to the "Demon" of the Roosters, being, "JHW" with both playing in their prime. I reckon it would have been a "Match To Behold".

"GR", well, he'll be forever running free & hard with a lot of passed "Hero's" of league on the big oval upstairs with the stands full of fans.