Remembering the Good Old Days of Independent Hardware Stores

Do you remember the days of wandering down the aisles of your local independent hardware store?

Days of dusty, wood-panelled shelves filled with every item you could imagine, nails weighed by the pound and wrapped in newspaper, knowledgeable staff clad in leather aprons offering their sage advice - days when shopping for tools and building supplies was more than just a purposeful task, but also a fun way to spend an afternoon?

We are certain that many of our members will experience a sense of nostalgia as they read along! Recently, social media has been flooded with memories of these classic Australian hardware shops.

Aussies have been reminiscing about the good old days after an online photograph of what is believed to be the Nock and Kirby store on George Street in central Sydney, an old hardware store, resurfaced online.

1683608229793.png
A photo of an old hardware store no longer in operation prompted many Australians to reminisce about the days of yesteryear. Credit: Facebook.

The picture shows three men standing behind a glass-fronted counter, with rows of wooden shelves filled with DIY items behind them.

This post triggered a flood of nostalgia, with hundreds of users sharing their recollections of bygone days.

Traditional hardware stores, with their personal and individualised customer service, hold a special place in the hearts of many, who criticise the impact of large modern-day corporations like Bunnings, which they believe contributed to the downfall of these small, locally-owned stores.

One person wrote: ‘They had everything.’

'And they knew their stock range and what product was best for the job!'

Others recalled being able to buy the exact quantity they needed.

'I also loved visiting the hardware shop with my father. You want 8 wood screws you got 8 in a little paper bag, not 20 in a plastic pack that lives for 300 years in landfill.’

Another recalled: 'Had one near me: An old shop run by a nearly as old lovely man. You could buy practically everything you needed. I don’t think he even knew some of the stock he had.’

'It was great fun to go in and find things on the dusty shelves and all the little drawers he had It was the sort of place you’d go to find something Bunning's didn’t have.'

The decline of many of these stores has been attributed to the emergence of Bunnings - and many were not shy in expressing their criticism.

One user claimed: ‘Bunnings basically killed all our local hardware stores along with great service that had.’

Others complained about Bunnings staff not being knowledgeable about the products they sell.

One comment read: 'Local hardware stores knew what they were selling unlike Bunnings (where) they can’t even point you to the right aisles.’

However, the ‘Bunnings bashing’ was far from universal. One user shared a more positive perspective, claiming that Bunnings’ staff were, ‘actually awesome’ in comparison with those at some of the olde hardware stores.

Mike Schneider, Bunnings Managing Director, said that ‘providing great service to customers has always been’ at the core of the business.

‘While we know there might be times when we don’t always get it right, we have an amazing team made up of passionate experts who work really hard to ensure people have a great experience when shopping with us,’ he said.

'Our team members live, work and raise families in the local communities where we operate, and we’re really proud of the way they support their customers and community.'

However, the complaints weren’t just about the level of customer service. Many users noted how the old stores were more environmentally-friendly than those open today.

One noted: ‘I remember a hardware store where you would buy your nails buy weight (lb) and they would wrap them in newspaper.'

'Saturday mornings shopping with Dad buying the vegetable seedlings for the garden wrapped up in wet newspaper. The earthy smell is unforgettable,’ another reminisced.

Key Takeaways
  • Social media users have been sharing nostalgic memories of independent hardware stores in response to a photo of an old store in central Sydney.
  • Some users criticised Bunnings, claiming that the chain's rise led to the decline of locally-owned hardware stores with knowledgeable staff and personalised service.
  • Bunnings Managing Director Mike Schneider countered these claims, insisting that great customer service is at the core of their business.
  • Many users also noted the environmental difference between older stores and modern-day ones, with old stores offering more sustainable options like purchasing nails by weight and wrapping them in newspapers.

The business sustainability of independent hardware stores has always been challenging, and the rise of massive chains like Bunnings has only made it more difficult for small businesses to thrive.

However, even though local hardware stores are now few and far between, there are still a few survivors tenaciously holding on

By choosing to shop at these stores, we can help keep the tradition of the local hardware store alive and ensure that future generations can also enjoy the one-on-one service and personal touch that we have come to cherish.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you miss shopping at independent hardware stores? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Also, for more nostalgia this morning, we recommend checking out this article, where we shared some stories about corner stores.

Sponsored
Well, sorry, but I can't agree with your statements.
You say that big conglomerates put their prices up when they control the market.
Example, you mention chemist, well there are plenty of chemists around, the biggest being Chemist Warehouse, but they don't put their prices up, they are by far the cheapest and great service
Tell me where there's a cheaper, well stocked hardware store and I will go there. Honestly folks take a look at what Bunnings stock, do you think if you worked there you would know everything about every product in the store. I must be lucky because I've only ever had good service in any Bunnings store I've gone to.
It's OK to be nostalgic but the old hardware stores didn't probably have 25%of the things Bunnings sell and you had to travel all over the place to get other things.
Same with the big supermarkets, sure we are all complaining about their price gouging, but still we want all the variety they offer or perhaps we could all turn back the clock and go back to the days of the corner shop and pay even more because they don't have the buying power of the big stores or the variety.
At the end of the day, if we, the public, still really wanted the stores of the past we would have kept going there, and they would still be in business. So whose to blame??
I don't think we are complaining about having a Bunnings Store - i personally really like having a bunnings store, but we still need to have older hardware stores for country areas, which some do still have, (so pple don't have to go driving long country distances to get to a bunnings) that's how it was back some 50 yrs ago, also with the old corner shop, and yes i like being nostalgic with my memories, that's something no-one can take away from a person (is there memories) and public opinion certainly can't tell people where to shop, but advertising can try and encourage them to shop with them. You are right we can't go back in time, population per capita is very much changed, the old style stores could not accommodate for this, and people want things now, right now. I enjoy it when i go to country towns and receive the personal, down to earth, friendly service, as they also have the time to give this, it can change your day and how you are feeling. Each to there own way of shopping, i say anyway :_) There is no-one to Blame!

Reactions: Ezzy
I absolutely identify with being able to go and purchase only a few bolts, screws, or nails instead of having to purchase sealed packets that remain unused for months, so in this respect I do miss the old stores.

Reactions: Ezzy