Remembering Princess Diana: Sarah Ferguson shares tribute for her 'dearest friend'

August 31 marked the 26th anniversary of the untimely death of one of the most beloved members of the British Royal family–Princess Diana.

In her memory, the late Princess' close friend and the Duchess of York, Sarah ‘Fergie’ Ferguson, shared an emotional tribute on social media to commemorate the day she passed away.

The Duchess, 63, shared a photograph of herself and Diana watching the races in Epsom in June 1987. Alongside the picture, she wrote: 'We miss you each day, dearest friend'.

Screenshot 2023-09-04 110457.png
Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, shared a photo to commemorate the death anniversary of Princess Diana. Credit: sarahferguson15/Instagram

Princess Diana passed away in a hospital after a crash in a Paris road tunnel on August 31, 1997. Her death sent shockwaves throughout the country and left her two sons, Prince William and Prince Harry, without a mother.

Remarkably, Sarah and Diana had been friends long before they both married into the royal family. Diana and Sarah first met as teenagers, and it is widely reported that Diana played a part in setting the Duchess up with her now former husband, Prince Andrew.

The post received positive attention on social media, with some users also paying tribute to the late princess. One wrote: ‘The saddest death I've ever experienced with someone I didn't even know.’

‘I can’t imagine how much her close friends and family miss her when her death can bring me, a stranger, to tears. May she rest in peace,’ another person shared.

‘Sending prayers and hugs to everyone who is missing her today and every day,’ a third person commented.

A fourth person said: ‘You are/were both my generation. I admired you both very much, but I wouldn’t have swapped shoes with either of you. You’ve come through with grace and style.’

Although friends, Sarah and Diana were compared constantly, which the Duchess revealed to have contributed to her struggle with ‘years’ of self-hatred.

On her podcast, Tea Talks, she revealed that looking back, she had ‘good legs’ and ‘looked good’ but didn’t ‘like herself’.

photo (13).jpg
Fergie revealed that she struggled through ‘years’ of self-hatred after constant comparison with the late princess. Credit: Oh My Diana/Facebook

'That was because I think I was always compared to Diana, and I think that at the end, I sort of believed my own press, which is, you know, not too good,' Fergie explained.

Earlier this year, the Duchess had been diagnosed with breast cancer and had undergone a successful single mastectomy at King Edward VII’s Hospital in London. She has been recovering at home at Royal Lodge, where she lives with her ex-husband.

Fergie claimed that the recent diagnosis has helped her work through the self-hatred.

'Not because of seeing death but waking up to stop worrying, stop self-hatred, stop self-doubt, stop all these things. Stop not liking yourself...' she said.

Key Takeaways
  • Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, paid tribute to her 'dearest friend' Princess Diana on the 26th anniversary of her death.
  • Besides their royal connections, Fergie and Diana were longstanding friends from their teenage years.
  • Fergie recently revealed that she's undergone a mastectomy following a breast cancer diagnosis, which has helped her overcome years of self-hatred and comparison to Diana.

Twenty-six years on, Princess Diana remains a relevant figure of the royal family—always inextricably linked to King Charles and his sons’ lives even in death. We hope she has found peace.

What do you think of this story, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Every year without fail I remember the passing of Princess Diana. Not only because it was one of the saddest days ever but because it is also one of my grandsons birthdays and the day after my youngest sons birthday. Also one of my best friends was buried on the 31st August a few yrs back and this yr my youngest son had to attend a funeral for the wife of an elderly gentleman he plays ten pin bowling with :cry:

I loved Princess Diana, her fashions were amazing and my heart went out to her when all she wanted was a FAITHFUL husband. My two eldest sons are the same age as William and harry and when she died I couldn’t imagine leaving my sons motherless. I actually understand Harry’s ongoing battle with coming to terms with losing his mother.

I don't think anyone around the world would forget Princess Diana. She was gorgeous looking, with a charismatic personality.

I loved Princess Diana, her fashions were amazing and my heart went out to her when all she wanted was a FAITHFUL husband. My two eldest sons are the same age as William and harry and when she died I couldn’t imagine leaving my sons motherless. I actually understand Harry’s ongoing battle with coming to terms with losing his mother.
Harry is continuing Diana's battle

Reactions: Penny4
It is a part of history.
When comes to the Royals, I have only a passing interest.
I do find myself, sometimes after years, talking of those I love , who have left my world, to keep fond memories alive in my heart. I do keep these memories between myself and others who also suffered the personal loss.
The difference between Fergie and myself is fame. She may be better served to embrace the memory of her friend by keeping them closer to home.