Yes and I remember we had coloured flavour straws which made the milk taste nicer. Banana strawberry chocolate flavours

We had free milk at school and I quickly learned that the time of the delivery could easily coincide with my weak bladder so I would engineer to always gain fresh milk that in those days came with a lovely covering of cream on top, I never drank hot milk as the standard treatment at school for a stomach upset was milk of magnestia but at a Private boarding school if the milk didn't get you the food would eventually.

Remember Free Milk at School?

'Do you remember getting free milk at school? It was introduced by the Australian government in the 1950s to ensure that all Australian children got fresh milk and a good dose of calcium each day. However, in practice, there were a few problems. The truck delivering the milk crates would normally drop it off at around 9:30 am, but recess wasn’t until 10:45 am, so on hot days, the milk would go off. No refrigeration was available, and yet the teachers made you drink the milk, off or not. The program lasted until the early 70s and was eventually scrapped. What are your memories of free school milk?’

View attachment 12100
Credits: Australia Remember When FB Page

Yes I remember it well. They had a milk monitor and a crisp monitor. You got your bottle of milk free but you had to pay for th bag of crisps

I remember the milk at school. It was delivered at 6.30am and left in the shade but by the time we drank it at 11am it was a little off in winter and very off in summer. Unfortunately for me, I was a very small child so our deputy principal would pick out the small girls to finish off the unused milk at 3pm. Boy, was it horrible by then. If you were lucky and she wasn’t looking you could take it into the girls toilets and tip it into the sink but it was like trying to push butter down the drain. I DO NOT DRINK FRESH MILK WITHOUT FLAVOURING TO THIS DAY. shudder

In the mid sixties while living in Regional Vic at primary school, they handed out plain milk which I did Not Like.
We moved to Devenport TAS 1967 and I was surprised they dished out diff flavours each day, Choc, Strawberry, banana etc except I think Fridays where it was plain milk, “yuck”
Anyone else experience this?

I used to love getting the little bottle of milk back in the late 60's. It would be delivered by the milkman and a crate distributed to each classroom but we drank it straight away. We didn't have to wait until recess so ours was always cold.

I also hated the warm milk with cream on top and passed it off to anyone who wanted it without the teacher knowing
It has put me off for life

Yes, I too vividly remember the consumption of milk at primary school. I hated the taste (and still do, unless it’s flavoured, even with tasty cereal!) but we at home discovered strawberry flavours ‘lollies’ (sweets) that improved the flavour out of sight! We should have been more grateful for the free supply, but it sure was a challenge to overcome that taste (pre flavouring), considering that it was also at ambient temperature (pre refrigeration). We are spoilt these days, with refrigeration and multiple flavour choice. Be thankful for cows. . . and farmers!

I taught in a couple of schools in the Alps. At one school, long before free milk, the mothers made hot chocolate for all the children. Both schools did this once free milk was introduced.

Remember Free Milk at School?

'Do you remember getting free milk at school? It was introduced by the Australian government in the 1950s to ensure that all Australian children got fresh milk and a good dose of calcium each day. However, in practice, there were a few problems. The truck delivering the milk crates would normally drop it off at around 9:30 am, but recess wasn’t until 10:45 am, so on hot days, the milk would go off. No refrigeration was available, and yet the teachers made you drink the milk, off or not. The program lasted until the early 70s and was eventually scrapped. What are your memories of free school milk?’

View attachment 12100
Credits: Australia Remember When FB Page

I was unlucky enough to be a recipient of that awful warm or off milk. Quite a few of us children would be sick afterwards. Horrible memory of the sour smell of milk or vomit.
I was in high school when it was finally phased out. All I can say is YUK