Relief for renters: Australia records biggest rent decline in 4 years, research says

Rent is often the largest expense for many households, consuming a substantial portion of their income. For families and individuals alike, the high cost of housing can be a major financial strain, affecting everything from savings potential to overall quality of life.

In a turn of events that has caught many by surprise, Australian renters have been given a glimmer of hope as advertised rents across the nation's capital cities have seen the most significant monthly drop in four years.

According to the latest figures from SQM Research, the average rent in the capitals decreased to $723 last month, which represents a 0.5 percent decline over the past 30 days.

This is the most substantial monthly fall since April 2020, when the world was just beginning to grapple with the uncertainties of the COVID-19 pandemic.

compressed-real-estate-agent-with-house-model-keys.jpeg
SQM Research indicated that the average rent in capital cities has decreased. Image source: Freepik

The decrease in rental prices comes alongside forecasts that vacancy rates are expected to increase over the winter months.

However, Louis Christopher, the Managing Director of SQM Research, cautioned that this does not signal the end of the rental crisis.

He stated: ‘The full year outlook remains the same in that we expect overall tight vacancy rates to be with us for 2024, driven by a fall in dwelling completions relative to ongoing growing demand.’

‘Nevertheless, it might provide some minor relief to tenants who still have excessive difficulties in finding longer-term rental accommodation around the country,’ he added.

Delving into the specifics, Sydney's advertised rents have been a significant contributor to the overall decline, with a 1.1 per cent drop to $844 a week.

Darwin experienced the most considerable decrease at 6.3 per cent, bringing rents down to $566 a week.

Melbourne's rents remained stable at $635 a week, while Adelaide bucked the trend with a rapid rental rise of 2.1 per cent to $593.

The national median weekly asking rent for a dwelling now sits at $624 per week.

Sydney continues to lead with the highest weekly rent for a house at $1,050 per week, while Hobart remains the most affordable capital city for unit rents at $463 per week.

Screenshot 2024-06-13 081436.png
The calculation of vacancies by SQM is based on online rental listings advertised for three weeks or more, compared to the total number of established rental properties. Source: SQM Research

Vacancy rates in Sydney are currently at 1.4 per cent, with 10,039 rental dwellings available.

Melbourne also saw an uptick in its vacancy rate, increasing to 1.3 per cent from 1.1 per cent in April this year.

Across Australia, the total number of rental vacancies now stands at 35,641 residential properties, up from 33,177 vacancies recorded in April.

For our readers, particularly those over 60 who may be renting or assisting family members with their rental situations, this news could be a silver lining amidst the mounting cost-of-living pressures in recent years.

It's an opportune moment to reassess your rental agreements and explore the market for potentially more affordable options.

As we navigate through these changing times, it's essential to stay informed about the trends in the rental market.

Whether you're looking to move or renegotiate your current lease, understanding the dynamics at play can help you make the best financial decisions.

If you're having difficulty paying rent, there are government initiatives available to help. Rent Assistance is a supplementary payment for individuals receiving specific Centrelink payments who also have accommodation expenses such as household rent, retirement village fees, or mooring fees for boats and caravans. You can learn more about Rent Assistance here.
Key Takeaways
  • Advertised rents in Australian capital cities have experienced the largest monthly drop in four years, offering some relief to renters.
  • Average rents in the capitals decreased by 0.5 per cent last month, with the significant fall partly attributed to the pandemic's impact in April 2020.
  • Despite the drop, experts from SQM Research suggested that the rental crisis is not over, forecasting tight vacancy rates to continue into 2024 due to lower dwelling completions and rising demand.
  • Sydney and Darwin saw notable decreases in advertised rents, with Sydney recording a 1.1 per cent fall and Darwin experiencing a 6.3 per cent dip. Conversely, Adelaide's rent rose by 2.1 per cent.
We invite you to share your experiences and thoughts on this latest development in the comments below.

Have you noticed a decrease in rental prices in your area? Are you considering a move to take advantage of the current market conditions? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
We are fortunate to own our own home but I feel so sorry for people who have to rent. I really don’t know how you manage and goodness knows how young people on low wages cope. Things are extremely difficult for so many at the moment and have been for the last few years. I’m gobsmacked at the cost of rent here in Launceston & that’s if you can find anything to begin with.

Somebody has their wires crossed. Rent needs to drop about 50% to make any difference to anybody. Greedy landlords won't be doing that.
Not all landlords are greedy I have been one, because I didn't have alot of super. Still have to pay mortgage which is double a standard mortgage. Tenants asked for a reduction in COVID. They got it even though their employer paid most of their rent!

I am sick and tired of hearing about renters. I saved hard and bought a one-bedroom unit to get on the property ladder. I had to question if I could afford to buy a magazine. I got through this all by prioritising and doing without. Now as a homeowner I get nothing.
You do have something your own home! We worked hard , did without alot to pay off our home. But unfortunately alot of people can't do this especially in today's times. The average deposit now us $150,000 add with the cost of living who can afford to save this

Reactions: Littleboy8
Gosh! There are many reasons why people have to rent so please don't be so smug about owning your small unit. I had property but because I had a long term sickness, I lost everything including my employment and Superannuation. I now have to rent and I'm 75 years old. It's not easy. Be happy with your accomplishment, but never lose sight of the fact that there are others who simply have to rent.
I am 81 years old and i have to rent and when you only have a pension which im very grateful for you have very little to live on after paying medicine , utility's and food not much left .When pensioners most of us who live in Government Housing get a rise they take back 25% for rent and 25% for water so you are left with very little they should just keep it as our rents go up.

Reactions: Liz and Littleboy8
I am 81 years old and i have to rent and when you only have a pension which im very grateful for you have very little to live on after paying medicine , utility's and food not much left .When pensioners most of us who live in Government Housing get a rise they take back 25% for rent and 25% for water so you are left with very little they should just keep it as our rents go up.
It is a privilege to live in government housing the waiting list is long & some people don't look after their property when they get it. Also getting a pension there won't be one if the future! So anyone under 45 better start planning & contributing.

Reactions: dancequeen1
my lease doesnt expire until 30 August, last week i got email requesting requesting me to sign a new lease and letting me know its going up another $40 a week, last year it went up $80 per week and the year before also $60 per week, when is it going to end, i recently had to return to part time work just to have money to live because my entire pension is now consumed by rent and power

I rent in Government housing and am lucky, I waited a long time to get my unit but am grateful to have a roof over my head and my cats. Everything is a struggle on an age pension which I am luck to have. But I feel for a younger family member struggling to pay rent with two young ones under 5, work full time and having to pay child care. What is his future. He wants to buy a place but the costs keep going up but it is a catch 22 situation, you pay a large rental fee which keeps going up and how to scrimp to put a deposit and buy a house for yourself and your chidren. I don't know who is to blame, whether it is the government or the landlords. I just know, I wish I had the money to wave a magic wand for these genuine young people who are working so hard and it is such a struggle for them.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I am sick and tired of hearing about renters. I saved hard and bought a one-bedroom unit to get on the property ladder. I had to question if I could afford to buy a magazine. I got through this all by prioritising and doing without. Now as a homeowner I get nothing.
I got evicted from my stately shoebox in the leafy suburb of Glebe for being three milliseconds late with my rent. Now I am forced to live in an empty XXXX beer can in the gutter on Parramatta Road at Stanmore. A bit cramped for myself and my seven dogs, 26 cats, a dozen Koi carp and a noisy cockatoo. At least the bird drowns out the noise of the traffic.

And you think you have it tough....

I got evicted from my stately shoebox in the leafy suburb of Glebe for being three milliseconds late with my rent. Now I am forced to live in an empty XXXX beer can in the gutter on Parramatta Road at Stanmore. A bit cramped for myself and my seven dogs, 26 cats, a dozen Koi carp and a noisy cockatoo. At least the bird drowns out the noise of the traffic.

And you think you have it tough....
Hey I like the part where she states”and I get nothing” what the hell does she want🤔 apart from a kick up the bum is what she needs.🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I had a double lung transplant lost my house at 58 and have been renting for 6 years and yes it is hard .i,m now 64 and not sure of the future,but i,m certain there is far worse off than myself

Reactions: Liz and Littleboy8