Reflecting on wildlife legacy: Robert Irwin shares heartfelt journey after losing dad Steve

For many, losing their father is like losing a part of themselves, and for some, it was the most difficult experience of their lives.

In a candid revelation, a prominent figure reflects on the profound impact of a tragic loss that continues to resonate globally.

The heartfelt reflections shed light on personal challenges and enduring legacies, offering a glimpse into a life shaped by profound experiences and remarkable achievements.

The legacy of Steve Irwin, the iconic ‘Crocodile Hunter’, continues to resonate with fans around the world, not least with his son, Robert Irwin, who has recently opened up about the profound impact his father's death had on him.

At the tender age of just two, Robert was left without his larger-than-life dad, who tragically passed away after being pierced in the chest by a stingray barb while filming at the Great Barrier Reef in September 2006.

Screenshot 2024-06-19 124134.jpg
Robert Irwin shared he finds comfort in hearing stories about his late father, Steve Irwin. Credit: Instagram / Robert Irwin

Now, at 20 years old, Robert has shared his personal journey of loss and remembrance on the Mental as Anyone podcast, revealing how he cherishes every anecdote and memory shared by those who knew and admired his father because each account is like ‘getting little pieces of him back’.

‘Some people might not want any reminder of that person they’ve lost. For me personally, every time someone comes up to me in the street, it happens every single day, “Oh, here’s this story about your dad”…I welcome that. I love it,’ Robert expressed.

‘When I see a picture of Dad or footage, I actually love having his presence around and living in Australia Zoo; he’s everywhere. The images and the pictures, the video and the sound, he’s still part of every day for me.’

‘Having lost someone at a very young age, I love getting little pieces of him back. That’s what it feels like,’ he added.

Steve Irwin was a household name whose boundless enthusiasm for wildlife and conservation was infectious.

He wasn't just a television personality; he was an educator, a dedicated conservationist, and a loving family man.

His untimely death at the age of 44 while filming the documentary Ocean’s Deadliest was a shock to most Australians, and his absence is still felt deeply, not only by his family but by the entire nation and fans worldwide.

Robert, alongside his sister Bindi and mother Terri, continued to carry the torch of his father's legacy at Queensland's Australia Zoo.

Through their work, they keep Steve's spirit alive, ensuring that his mission to protect and educate about wildlife endures.

Robert's reflections on his father's death are poignant and touching, as he speaks of the everlasting pain but also the comfort he finds in the memories of ‘the most amazing, loyal, dedicated, involved father figure that anyone could ever have’.

‘Everything he did was at 110 per cent with such precision and care and intelligence,’ he remarked.

‘The building blocks of my life were…saturated by dad’s passion and enthusiasm.’

‘That’s something I carry with me forever,’ Robert continued.

Carrying the Irwin family name could have been a heavy burden, but for Robert, it's a source of pride and an opportunity to continue making a positive change in the world.

Despite the fame and the ‘extra element of odd, an extra element of weird’ that comes with being in the public eye, Robert sees his platform as a chance to further the causes his father held dear.

Interestingly, Robert also gave a glimpse into the Irwin family's private life, which he described as ‘low-key’.

‘What we do is absolutely n***. Like you’re jumping on crocs, you’re saving wildlife, you’re doing this, you’re doing that, but in terms of the Irwin family dynamic, we’re…just vanilla ice cream,’ he shared.

‘We are so boring. But it’s great. It’s the way to be. There’s nothing wrong with having a boring family dynamic. In fact, that’s what you’re shooting for.’

‘For us, there’s never a dull moment but there’s never this sense of drama, there’s never like the fighting and the bickering and this and that, it’s just this tight-knit family unit,’ Robert added.

Following Robert Irwin's heartfelt reflections on the loss of his father, Steve Irwin, his tribute has continued to resonate widely.

Recently on Father's Day, amidst legal challenges, Robert's touching homage to his late father brought a poignant reminder of the enduring impact of Steve Irwin's legacy.
Key Takeaways
  • Robert Irwin opened up about his father, Steve Irwin's death, expressing that he finds comfort in hearing stories about him.
  • Steve Irwin died after a stingray barb pierced his chest while filming at the Great Barrier Reef in September 2006.
  • Robert cherished his father's legacy and continues to contribute to wildlife conservation through Australia Zoo.
  • Despite the fame associated with the Irwin family name, Robert embraced his platform as an opportunity for positive change and described his family life as low-key and tightly-knit.
How has Steve Irwin touched your life? How have you coped with the loss of a loved one? We invite you to share your stories in the comments below.

• Love
Reactions: Ezzy and NotNats
Sponsored
go see your granddad. Why is this family showing Steve on TV ads? That is using a memory. I do not need that to remember the love and good that Steve did. This family now is not the same. I know SDC print whatever but please give us a break from the Irwins.

Robert Irwin's beliefs of his father are his to own and to look up to.
However, the new television advertisement depicting Steve Irwin as a "real life" character is wrong in my opinion and should not be aired.