Reevaluating Retirement: Should 70 be the New Standard Age for Pensions?

Our Senior Discount Club members might remember the good old days when men looked forward to retiring at 65 and receiving the Age Pension, while women's pension age was set at 60.

However, times have changed over the past decade, with the introduction of incremental rises in the pension age, taking it to 67 for all Australians from 1 July 2023.

But how would you feel if the pension age was raised even further, to 70?

Screen Shot 2023-06-26 at 10.38.20 AM.png
Starting next month, the eligibility age for the Age Pension will be raised to 67. Credit: Shutterstock.

Backtracking a little, it was the Rudd Labor government who legislated the pension age increase to 67. However, in May 2014, the then Treasurer Joe Hockey made waves by announcing the pension age would rise to 70 by 2035, a proposition that was met with public outcry and faced serious backlash.

Remember the famous slogan: 'Only a bloke who's worked in an office his whole life would think you can work until you're 70'?

Years later, Scott Morrison officially dropped the age-70 target as a Liberal policy. Micheal McCormack, his deputy, said it was 'probably a step too far', adding, 'I think if you are a tradie, or a brickie, or a shearer in rural and regional Australia, you don't want some suit in Canberra telling you you're going to have to work until you're 70'.

While many can rejoice for now, as all Australians will soon have the same retirement age for the first time in over a decade—there is no guarantee that the debate over raising the pension age is over.

Recently, a group of academics revisited the statistics and released a report suggesting that further pension age increases may be warranted to ensure the country has a sufficient supply of workers in the future.

Macquarie University Business School Professor Hanlin Shang and his co-authors recommend three more pension-age increases over the next 27 years, stepping up to 68 by 2030, 69 by 2036, and 70 by 2050.

The proposal is based on factors such as Australia's low birth rate, which impacts the number of workers available to sustain an ageing population.

Professor Shang says, 'Fewer people in the working group and more in retirement will make the old age dependency ratio (OADR) higher. What this means is there are fewer working people to support elderly people, and with more elderly people in the population, this will create a burden for the government pension system.'

Unsurprisingly, the proposal has been met with criticism. One Australian worker told a news outlet, 'Try and be a tradie at 70,' while a retired nurse added, 'People in their 60s are exhausted. I've got back pain from nursing. I cannot work anymore. People should not have to work in old age.'

In response, National Seniors Australia, a non-profit membership and advocacy organisation, has firmly opposed the proposal to increase the pension age to 70. They argue that numerous individuals leave the workforce due to poor health and are unable to sustain employment. Instead, they propose an alternative solution: providing incentives to those who wish to work for a longer period.

Their campaign, known as Let Pensioners Work, advocates for a reduction in the income test taper rates. This will enable individuals to retain a larger portion of their pension if they opt to continue working. National Seniors Australia believes this approach is more equitable than raising the pension age, as it recognises and rewards individuals who have the desire and necessity to work.

As Chief Advocate Ian Henschke recently told Radio 4BC, 'If you are on a pension, you want to keep working; let them work, and it'll be a win for the economy, a win for the pensioners themselves, and a win for the government'.

Key Takeaways

• The pension age for all Australians is set to be 67, effective on 1 July 2023, after incremental rises were introduced a decade ago.
  • In 2014, then Treasurer Joe Hockey announced plans to further raise the pension age to 70 by 2035, but this was met with public backlash and was later dropped as Liberal policy.
  • A group of academics have recently released a report suggesting three more pension-age increases over the next 27 years, reaching 70 by 2050, to ensure a sufficient supply of workers in the future.
  • National Seniors Australia, a not-for-profit membership and advocacy organisation, rejects calls for raising the pension age to 70 and has instead launched the Let Pensioners Work campaign, advocating for reduced income test taper rates to provide incentives for those who choose to work longer.

Members, we'd love to hear your thoughts on this matter. Should the Australian pension age remain at 67, be raised to 70 as proposed, or revert to 65 as previously set? Are there any alternative suggestions that would better suit the needs of the ageing population? Share your opinions in the comments section below, and let's talk!

Sponsored
Our Senior Discount Club members might remember the good old days when men looked forward to retiring at 65 and receiving the Age Pension, while women's pension age was set at 60.

However, times have changed over the past decade, with the introduction of incremental rises in the pension age, taking it to 67 for all Australians from 1 July 2023.

View attachment 23327
Starting next month, the eligibility age for the Age Pension will be raised to 67. Credit: Shutterstock.

Backtracking a little, it was the Rudd Labor government who legislated the pension age increase to 67. However, in May 2014, the then Treasurer Joe Hockey made waves by announcing the pension age would rise to 70 by 2035, a proposition that was met with public outcry and faced serious backlash.

Remember the famous slogan: 'Only a bloke who's worked in an office his whole life would think you can work until you're 70'?

Years later, Scott Morrison officially dropped the age-70 target as a Liberal policy. Micheal McCormack, his deputy, said it was 'probably a step too far', adding, 'I think if you are a tradie, or a brickie, or a shearer in rural and regional Australia, you don't want some suit in Canberra telling you you're going to have to work until you're 70'.

While many can rejoice for now, as all Australians will soon have the same retirement age for the first time in over a decade—there is no guarantee that the debate over raising the pension age is over.

Recently, a group of academics revisited the statistics and released a report suggesting that further pension age increases may be warranted to ensure the country has a sufficient supply of workers in the future.

Macquarie University Business School Professor Hanlin Shang and his co-authors recommend three more pension-age increases over the next 27 years, stepping up to 68 by 2030, 69 by 2036, and 70 by 2050.

The proposal is based on factors such as Australia's low birth rate, which impacts the number of workers available to sustain an ageing population.

Professor Shang says, 'Fewer people in the working group and more in retirement will make the old age dependency ratio (OADR) higher. What this means is there are fewer working people to support elderly people, and with more elderly people in the population, this will create a burden for the government pension system.'

Unsurprisingly, the proposal has been met with criticism. One Australian worker told a news outlet, 'Try and be a tradie at 70,' while a retired nurse added, 'People in their 60s are exhausted. I've got back pain from nursing. I cannot work anymore. People should not have to work in old age.'

In response, National Seniors Australia, a non-profit membership and advocacy organisation, has firmly opposed the proposal to increase the pension age to 70. They argue that numerous individuals leave the workforce due to poor health and are unable to sustain employment. Instead, they propose an alternative solution: providing incentives to those who wish to work for a longer period.

Their campaign, known as Let Pensioners Work, advocates for a reduction in the income test taper rates. This will enable individuals to retain a larger portion of their pension if they opt to continue working. National Seniors Australia believes this approach is more equitable than raising the pension age, as it recognises and rewards individuals who have the desire and necessity to work.

As Chief Advocate Ian Henschke recently told Radio 4BC, 'If you are on a pension, you want to keep working; let them work, and it'll be a win for the economy, a win for the pensioners themselves, and a win for the government'.

Key Takeaways

• The pension age for all Australians is set to be 67, effective on 1 July 2023, after incremental rises were introduced a decade ago.
  • In 2014, then Treasurer Joe Hockey announced plans to further raise the pension age to 70 by 2035, but this was met with public backlash and was later dropped as Liberal policy.
  • A group of academics have recently released a report suggesting three more pension-age increases over the next 27 years, reaching 70 by 2050, to ensure a sufficient supply of workers in the future.
  • National Seniors Australia, a not-for-profit membership and advocacy organisation, rejects calls for raising the pension age to 70 and has instead launched the Let Pensioners Work campaign, advocating for reduced income test taper rates to provide incentives for those who choose to work longer.

Members, we'd love to hear your thoughts on this matter. Should the Australian pension age remain at 67, be raised to 70 as proposed, or revert to 65 as previously set? Are there any alternative suggestions that would better suit the needs of the ageing population? Share your opinions in the comments section below, and let's talk!
Well if everyone is going to retire at 67 years old the all these parasite politicians should be made to do the same and no access to superannuation until then let's see if that happens pig's will fly before they bring anything like that in its always the Australian taxpayer that cop it in the neck manual labour job's there is no way that they will last to the 70 forecast they complain about not enough workers well that previous governments that shut down the tape system and apprenticeships so they have to be blamed but no never happens with these pig's with their noses in the taxpayers super tough they get at the end of their bullshit time in parliament 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

View attachment 23327

Key Takeaways

Back to 65!!!!

I agree 💯 I’m 66 have bad arthritis and I’m not enjoying my life in pain
I’m with you I’m 65 on Saturday and I hate my life of chronic pain it’s depressing. And debilitating! Now I have to wait til I’m 67 for a pension. If I didn’t have my cat to care for I don’t reckon I’ll be here at 67! What’s the point! Being harassed by job provider on wheelie walker have to keep getting certificates for Centrelink! I hate all of them!🙀👎

• Sad
Reactions: Rhondda@Benji

View attachment 23327

Key Takeaways

I am fed up with all this. Stupidity. I think what everyone forgets is that men and women who are working on roads , building sites etc in other words blue collar workers cannot do the same work at 67-70 that they did at 40 even .. I was lifting heavy things in a retail job at 66 and my body just couldn’t cope any more and I wasn’t allowed to do a different job.
Pay us all a decent pension , especially those of us who rent … let us retire and not drop dead at work and give young people a chance to work .. superannuation is only amazing if you have worked full time your whole life.. I was a mum and only worked part time in later life , now am punished for that ..
kris

View attachment 23327

Key Takeaways

No way 🤬

I was forced to retire from nursing when I was 64 due to back and neck injuries which first happened when I was about 33years old. I was advised to give up nursing by my GP and specialists. Had to continue working as I had no choice at the time. I cried when I retired as I always said I’ll work till I drop dead as I loved my job. I have tried to go back to nursing as we are always being told about the shortage of nurses but they have made it very hard to go back to nursing. And other nurses have tried to go back but have given up as well. I am 73 but still in good health. No medical problems. Only my physical injuries. I now have found employment working as a crossing supervisor!! So if the young ones are really interested in working I’m sure they will find some kind of employment.

Be stricter in applying the approval conditions and withdraw the payments to those that do not qualify. That’s a start.

I have to disagree with you completely. We all paid taxes to build roads, schools and hospitals, to fund the military and police force. To fund the fire brigades and the justice system including prison construction and manning etc. Pensions were originally started to fund the last couple of years of peoples lifes. Now we are all living longer the govt cant afford to hand out pensions for 20 yrs, its up to individuals to fund themselves.
And i am wondering just how would they know the age of a persons last years of life to then say - hey you qualify for a pension now! because we will only have to pay it for a couple of years - with all due respect the gov't can afford to pay seniors who qualify for an age pension - just by cutting politicians wages, and there own lifelong retirement pensions, along with allowing age pensioners who want to and can work, to work on top of there pension - there taxes will almost pay for there pensions. You have a point it seems more and more now the young who have work will have to fund themselves when they choose to retire.

It is not so much the raising of the age; it is more about what we are used to and do not like change. A complaint is a human response to the indoctrination we are akin to.
People complain about old age when work is an issue, and suddenly, everyone has ailments. My ailments started long before I was sixty-five. I did not sit down and worked till I was sixty-eight, and employment ceased as the business was sold off.
I agree that men and women should retire at the same age. I could never understand why women were retiring at sixty while most men burnt their butt off working till sixty-five and often dying a couple of years later while women lived a decade or two longer.
There has to be a new benchmark as the human race lives longer and healthier. Not for the convenience of the government and their need to pay retirees a livable pension regardless of super.
In another decade or so, many more people will be retiring with super as the education bites, and people understand the need for this investment. Coming from a country with a different system, I was not so fortunate.
So my answer is basically to stop moaning and move with the times. Seventy seems a healthy age. The problem and acceptability are where does it change? Do you do it in one leap or in increments over a period of five years? Whichever way it goes, it is going to have its moaners and groaners, mostly by those who have not prepared for retirement, and suddenly it was on their doorstep.
Happy retirement, peeps; no matter your health or financial situation, you have a life, and most have a family. Enjoy.
There are many unwell people in society and this can cover a range of ages not to mention people that where born with disabilities and need lifelong care - to say - "stop moaning and move with the times" shows a lack of understanding & empathy. Seventy may be a healthy age for some - depending on what sort of life a person has had. We are all human and need to help each other - many have not prepared for retirement as they may not have had the opportunity or weren't able to work for whatever reason - complaining is in reference to a person who is suffering and wants to be heard - this is normally due to a persons state of health where they are in pain, or it could be displeasure of hearing or seeing something they don't like and hope that it changes in time. Of course we all have a life - but if you are in financial crises, with ill health - i don't think there is happy retirement there unless you have a very helpful & understanding family or partner/children, and you need your age pension, there are a lot of seniors that are living entirely alone - in this country 60 and 65 should be the age pension benchmark.

Last edited:
Omg now I am 66 now and have worked all my life, had an work accident 3 years ago, need knee replacement unable at this stage as now have a large acute DVT for past two years, unwell in myself. Waiting now to see DVT Specialist. Wearing prescription compression stocking for rest of my life. I have in medical fir over 20 years could never do this job again !!!!! My whole life has been turned upside down. I need my age care pension.. This is terrible to think, how many other people have illnesses that stop them working. What is this world coming to!!!!
l will say get young ones off the dole and get them trained and out to work. How will they survive if they are not working and getting older and no trade or profession. The government is pathetic!!!!!!!!!! God help us 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼
I truly hope for you and many others that may be in the same situation, for the age pension age not to go up! and that it stops at one age, preferably 60 and 65. The people should be allowed to have a vote on this - that is when you will get the outstanding majority that would vote against the age being raised - i feel quite sure about that - & why aren't we afforded the opportunity to vote on matters that are important to all of us in society - as we are ageing - we have a lot to say:_) that is common sense, contains the wisdom of time, has understanding foresight and insight!!
We know what we need and what needs to be implemented at the grassroots level for a healthy fully functioning society for All. The Multi Wealthy could help us here by giving-with the right intention.

View attachment 23327

Key Takeaways

There is NO WAY a tradie can work until they are 67 or 70 I have 3 tradie sons, Hard workers too, but concreters, and boilermakers backs are usually stuffed by 50ish.
There have been riots in the streets, in other countries when they only put up the retirement age to 60.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
Anything to
Why did we pay taxes all those years? It was for the pension. They keep raising the age every few years and it's not fair to the people who reach the age only to have it change.
Governments will do anything to save a few bucks so they can blow it on something useless and stupid, like the war in Ukraine, or Solar for Vietnam, really, there is two hospitals for Australia with all that wasted money.

I truly hope for you and many others that may be in the same situation, for the age pension age not to go up! and that it stops at one age, preferably 60 and 65. The people should be allowed to have a vote on this - that is when you will get the outstanding majority that would vote against the age being raised - i feel quite sure about that - & why aren't we afforded the opportunity to vote on matters that are important to all of us in society - as we are ageing - we have a lot to say:_) that is common sense, contains the wisdom of time, has understanding foresight and insight!!
We know what we need and what needs to be implemented at the grassroots level for a healthy fully functioning society for All. The Multi Wealthy could help us here by giving-with the right intention.
They won't let you vote on anything "They" want to change to suit themselves and save money.!

View attachment 23327

Key Takeaways

Revert 65 again! Rethink immigration zapping our funding?), rethink how many younger generation COULD be working but arent (I'm a cleaner & the young ones dont want (or need?) a job that is such hard work & very low pay, they start but dont stick around. Not sure what they are doing for money/paying bills etc instead! I also know quite a few people who get disabity or other Centrelink payments who (in my opinion) could be working (& in fact some do on cash wages), but hey ya cant afford ciggies, tattoos, etc & ya get stuff all concessions on anything when you work can u lol?
O
Yet others that appear more deserving have tried & cant get any payments! What a stuffed up system!

Well, where does one start! At the beginning of one’s ‘working’ life. I have said it before and will continue to do so. If these lazy little cretons don’t want to work then off to the armed forces for them all. (National Service).
Us oldies have done our duty to this country for our whole working life. Why should we be penalised by providing our hard earned cash and worn out bodies so they can continue to have a cruisy lifestyle sit on their lazy butts. No wonder we haven’t got a readily available workforce!
These so-called University educated politicians are no better than those on the dole. They will move heaven and and earth to find a way not to work!!! Make them work until they are seventy while the rest of us can relax after our lifetime of servitude. Oh, and none of the perks that a politician is “entitled” to!!

As a retired Psychiatric Nurse, there is no way it is safe to ask people over 60 to work in that profession. We can no longer move fast enough to avoid injury when a patient is aggressive & so the injury rate would increase dramatically & be a drain on govt funds to support them through their injury time. These people need to get out of their ivory towers & get into the real world before making these suggestions.
I am 64 and work casually as a nurse. Talk about discrimination in this world. I am ready to take the green drink so I don't have to face what I see in community. Sometimes I think in our rural community we are in a 3rd world country.
By the way the employment numbers are false. No body can survive on 15hrs pay a week......
Let's revalue community and perhaps redevelop a better pay system for all.....

These ideas always seem to be dreamed up by armchair academics most of whom are in a position to retire when they choose on pretty comfortable superannuation schemes that allow access from as young as 55. Nurses. Aged carers, teachers, as well as the harder physical occupations we all know such as the building trades, manual workers etc don’t have the capacity in many cases to continue working past about 65 let alone 70 . Another issue to consider is; won’t the ‘horse have bolted’ by 2050? The ‘baby boomers ‘ will all largely have croaked it by then? The immigration rates may need to increase to bring in skilled younger people and the mix of people will have changed yet again.
Certainly it would be great to encourage part time work for a range of reasons including intellectual and social stimulation and so taking away the current financial disincentives would be a great move.
Why penalise a pensioner etc at all if they work? Sure, tax them as per the income tax tables but provide real incentives for those of us who want to work to do so.
I know that after 52 years in the paid workforce, having had many different jobs and even as a ‘pen pusher’, I was ready to retire at 68.
I basically enjoy my retirement and contributing to many local community activities that provide satisfaction from being involved.
Valid comments; all of them John particularly regarding the pensioner who still wants to work - I work 2 jobs plus volunteer twice weekly and am fast approaching 67 and would like to continue until age 70 (health permitting of course).

It should still be 65 and incentive for anyone willing to work after that. We all grow tired and some of us become sick or injured and cannot work past this age. Make this system fair for all!!!

View attachment 23327

Key Takeaways

I definitely don't agree with rising the pension age to 70....people should be able to enjoy life away from work well before 70, after working hard for many years, some probably from 17 years of age.
As there's a shortage of tradespeople these days, instead of expecting older people to keep working, train the younger ones.....seems to me kids these days aren't interested in learning a trade, just want to be in front of a computer!
If the Government made it worthwhile for these kids, maybe there might be more interest shown.
Instead of forcing older people to keep working till 70.....encourage young people to take up a trade...makes sense to me !!

Reactions: Loubeauxarts