Reevaluating Retirement: Should 70 be the New Standard Age for Pensions?

Our Senior Discount Club members might remember the good old days when men looked forward to retiring at 65 and receiving the Age Pension, while women's pension age was set at 60.

However, times have changed over the past decade, with the introduction of incremental rises in the pension age, taking it to 67 for all Australians from 1 July 2023.

But how would you feel if the pension age was raised even further, to 70?

Screen Shot 2023-06-26 at 10.38.20 AM.png
Starting next month, the eligibility age for the Age Pension will be raised to 67. Credit: Shutterstock.

Backtracking a little, it was the Rudd Labor government who legislated the pension age increase to 67. However, in May 2014, the then Treasurer Joe Hockey made waves by announcing the pension age would rise to 70 by 2035, a proposition that was met with public outcry and faced serious backlash.

Remember the famous slogan: 'Only a bloke who's worked in an office his whole life would think you can work until you're 70'?

Years later, Scott Morrison officially dropped the age-70 target as a Liberal policy. Micheal McCormack, his deputy, said it was 'probably a step too far', adding, 'I think if you are a tradie, or a brickie, or a shearer in rural and regional Australia, you don't want some suit in Canberra telling you you're going to have to work until you're 70'.

While many can rejoice for now, as all Australians will soon have the same retirement age for the first time in over a decade—there is no guarantee that the debate over raising the pension age is over.

Recently, a group of academics revisited the statistics and released a report suggesting that further pension age increases may be warranted to ensure the country has a sufficient supply of workers in the future.

Macquarie University Business School Professor Hanlin Shang and his co-authors recommend three more pension-age increases over the next 27 years, stepping up to 68 by 2030, 69 by 2036, and 70 by 2050.

The proposal is based on factors such as Australia's low birth rate, which impacts the number of workers available to sustain an ageing population.

Professor Shang says, 'Fewer people in the working group and more in retirement will make the old age dependency ratio (OADR) higher. What this means is there are fewer working people to support elderly people, and with more elderly people in the population, this will create a burden for the government pension system.'

Unsurprisingly, the proposal has been met with criticism. One Australian worker told a news outlet, 'Try and be a tradie at 70,' while a retired nurse added, 'People in their 60s are exhausted. I've got back pain from nursing. I cannot work anymore. People should not have to work in old age.'

In response, National Seniors Australia, a non-profit membership and advocacy organisation, has firmly opposed the proposal to increase the pension age to 70. They argue that numerous individuals leave the workforce due to poor health and are unable to sustain employment. Instead, they propose an alternative solution: providing incentives to those who wish to work for a longer period.

Their campaign, known as Let Pensioners Work, advocates for a reduction in the income test taper rates. This will enable individuals to retain a larger portion of their pension if they opt to continue working. National Seniors Australia believes this approach is more equitable than raising the pension age, as it recognises and rewards individuals who have the desire and necessity to work.

As Chief Advocate Ian Henschke recently told Radio 4BC, 'If you are on a pension, you want to keep working; let them work, and it'll be a win for the economy, a win for the pensioners themselves, and a win for the government'.

Key Takeaways

• The pension age for all Australians is set to be 67, effective on 1 July 2023, after incremental rises were introduced a decade ago.
  • In 2014, then Treasurer Joe Hockey announced plans to further raise the pension age to 70 by 2035, but this was met with public backlash and was later dropped as Liberal policy.
  • A group of academics have recently released a report suggesting three more pension-age increases over the next 27 years, reaching 70 by 2050, to ensure a sufficient supply of workers in the future.
  • National Seniors Australia, a not-for-profit membership and advocacy organisation, rejects calls for raising the pension age to 70 and has instead launched the Let Pensioners Work campaign, advocating for reduced income test taper rates to provide incentives for those who choose to work longer.

Members, we'd love to hear your thoughts on this matter. Should the Australian pension age remain at 67, be raised to 70 as proposed, or revert to 65 as previously set? Are there any alternative suggestions that would better suit the needs of the ageing population? Share your opinions in the comments section below, and let's talk!

Sponsored
A dont see what all the fuss is about, people will have plenty of super squirreled away by the time it gets moved to 70. So people will simply self fund their retirement for the last few years before hitting the trigger age for the govt handout.

Our Senior Discount Club members might remember the good old days when men looked forward to retiring at 65 and receiving the Age Pension, while women's pension age was set at 60.

However, times have changed over the past decade, with the introduction of incremental rises in the pension age, taking it to 67 for all Australians from 1 July 2023.

View attachment 23327
Starting next month, the eligibility age for the Age Pension will be raised to 67. Credit: Shutterstock.

Backtracking a little, it was the Rudd Labor government who legislated the pension age increase to 67. However, in May 2014, the then Treasurer Joe Hockey made waves by announcing the pension age would rise to 70 by 2035, a proposition that was met with public outcry and faced serious backlash.

Remember the famous slogan: 'Only a bloke who's worked in an office his whole life would think you can work until you're 70'?

Years later, Scott Morrison officially dropped the age-70 target as a Liberal policy. Micheal McCormack, his deputy, said it was 'probably a step too far', adding, 'I think if you are a tradie, or a brickie, or a shearer in rural and regional Australia, you don't want some suit in Canberra telling you you're going to have to work until you're 70'.

While many can rejoice for now, as all Australians will soon have the same retirement age for the first time in over a decade—there is no guarantee that the debate over raising the pension age is over.

Recently, a group of academics revisited the statistics and released a report suggesting that further pension age increases may be warranted to ensure the country has a sufficient supply of workers in the future.

Macquarie University Business School Professor Hanlin Shang and his co-authors recommend three more pension-age increases over the next 27 years, stepping up to 68 by 2030, 69 by 2036, and 70 by 2050.

The proposal is based on factors such as Australia's low birth rate, which impacts the number of workers available to sustain an ageing population.

Professor Shang says, 'Fewer people in the working group and more in retirement will make the old age dependency ratio (OADR) higher. What this means is there are fewer working people to support elderly people, and with more elderly people in the population, this will create a burden for the government pension system.'

Unsurprisingly, the proposal has been met with criticism. One Australian worker told a news outlet, 'Try and be a tradie at 70,' while a retired nurse added, 'People in their 60s are exhausted. I've got back pain from nursing. I cannot work anymore. People should not have to work in old age.'

In response, National Seniors Australia, a non-profit membership and advocacy organisation, has firmly opposed the proposal to increase the pension age to 70. They argue that numerous individuals leave the workforce due to poor health and are unable to sustain employment. Instead, they propose an alternative solution: providing incentives to those who wish to work for a longer period.

Their campaign, known as Let Pensioners Work, advocates for a reduction in the income test taper rates. This will enable individuals to retain a larger portion of their pension if they opt to continue working. National Seniors Australia believes this approach is more equitable than raising the pension age, as it recognises and rewards individuals who have the desire and necessity to work.

As Chief Advocate Ian Henschke recently told Radio 4BC, 'If you are on a pension, you want to keep working; let them work, and it'll be a win for the economy, a win for the pensioners themselves, and a win for the government'.

Key Takeaways

• The pension age for all Australians is set to be 67, effective on 1 July 2023, after incremental rises were introduced a decade ago.
  • In 2014, then Treasurer Joe Hockey announced plans to further raise the pension age to 70 by 2035, but this was met with public backlash and was later dropped as Liberal policy.
  • A group of academics have recently released a report suggesting three more pension-age increases over the next 27 years, reaching 70 by 2050, to ensure a sufficient supply of workers in the future.
  • National Seniors Australia, a not-for-profit membership and advocacy organisation, rejects calls for raising the pension age to 70 and has instead launched the Let Pensioners Work campaign, advocating for reduced income test taper rates to provide incentives for those who choose to work longer.

Members, we'd love to hear your thoughts on this matter. Should the Australian pension age remain at 67, be raised to 70 as proposed, or revert to 65 as previously set? Are there any alternative suggestions that would better suit the needs of the ageing population? Share your opinions in the comments section below, and let's talk!
You can no longer enjoy your retirement years as at 67 years things are starting to go wrong with our health. Arthritis is one of the most common complaints and is very painful. This is only one of the many things that starts to go haywire with our health. You are supposed to be able to enjoy your retirement of which you have worked hard for over the years and to raise it to 70 is ludicrous.

View attachment 23327

Key Takeaways

I personally think it ought to be stabilized at age 67 to be the base line age at which the population can retire.
I’m 70 and I want to work part time but it truly isn’t worth my while financially to do so, taking into account the costs of travel and the cut of pension not to mention the hassle of reporting in every fortnight!
I don’t have the same stamina that I did at 60 either.
I think if one is able to continue working they ought to be encouraged to do so.
For many manual labor type positions, reaching the age of 60 often has physical limitations even when a person wants to work on. So I disagree with raising the pension age.

I retired early (aged 60) to care for my sick partner, received a carers pension until he received an inheritance that took away both our pensions because on paper we are 'asset rich' although we aren't cash flow rich. We budgeted for my super (he doesn't have any left as we needed to use it) to last till I reach 67, making sure there are enough funds for the rising daily living costs, medical and funeral costs - there are no $ for extras or luxury things - no holidays, no going out for meals, we don't smoke or drink, we don't travel, it will be tight but we will manage. Raising the age to 70 will just put further strain on an already difficult situation. There are many people who have budgeted to retire at 67 - 3 yrs more doesn't sound that much more but working an additional 3 yrs to any already tired work force, those that have taken early retirement having sit down and re-do all their budget figures to cover those extra years.

These decisions are made by people sitting in positions with wages well exceeding the average person, behind a plush desk who don't work in the trade labour industry, physically demanding and even mentally demanding jobs - who then get to 'retire' with a income stream still well above the average person.

This is not even looking at what employer is going to employ anyone at the age. It is hard enough to compete with the younger generation once you pass 40, get to your 50's it gets harder and by the time you hit your 60's it is pretty much impossible. Leave the pension age at 67 (prefer to have it drop back to 65) allowing those that wish to remain working full or part time do so but raise the income/asset level to offset the pension reduction payment. As a side note - they were going to put me on Job Seeker initially because I was over 60 and they said no-one in the current climate was employing people that age but the string attached is that I had to do 30 hrs volunteer work (work for the dole scheme left over renamed), I was heavily asset tested I had to jump through so many hoops and red tape, till they decided I qualified for a carers pension, again still heavily asset tested but I didn't have to do the mandatory volunteer work.

As a retired Psychiatric Nurse, there is no way it is safe to ask people over 60 to work in that profession. We can no longer move fast enough to avoid injury when a patient is aggressive & so the injury rate would increase dramatically & be a drain on govt funds to support them through their injury time. These people need to get out of their ivory towers & get into the real world before making these suggestions.

After working most of our lives , shouldn't we be able to enjoy the last part in retirement, sleeping in, gardening , holidays ect

I believe working should still be an option for those who want to keep working but retirement should be as well.

Our bodies get tired

What they increase it to 70 then it will be 75 and then they will stop it all together

And France just had huge protest because they were increasing the pension age to 64.

Why is it we are only in front of other countries for only certain things 🤔

View attachment 23327

Key Takeaways

And treat politicians the same, when they finish representing us, ha that's a joke, no pension if they work, if they leave in disgrace, no pension either. They make rules against us for their own greed.

View attachment 23327

Key Takeaways

• National Seniors Australia, a not-for-profit membership and advocacy jorganisation, rejects calls for raising the pension age to 70 and has instead launched the Let Pensioners Work campaign, advocating for reduced income test taper rates to provide incentives for those who choose to work longer.

View attachment 23327

Key Takeaways

And treat politicians the same, when they finish representing us, ha that's a joke, no pension if they work, if they leave in disgrace, no pension either. They make rules against us for their own greed.
exactly. let them get a job, as a bricklayer, or some other heavy work load job.. make them work till they are 70, and no entitlements at all.. the suits who make these decisions, have never worked a hard days work in their lives, bubble wrapped weak wristed idiots

Omg now I am 66 now and have worked all my life, had an work accident 3 years ago, need knee replacement unable at this stage as now have a large acute DVT for past two years, unwell in myself. Waiting now to see DVT Specialist. Wearing prescription compression stocking for rest of my life. I have in medical fir over 20 years could never do this job again !!!!! My whole life has been turned upside down. I need my age care pension.. This is terrible to think, how many other people have illnesses that stop them working. What is this world coming to!!!!
l will say get young ones off the dole and get them trained and out to work. How will they survive if they are not working and getting older and no trade or profession. The government is pathetic!!!!!!!!!! God help us 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Just imagine if the lazy bastards on the dole got off their bums and got a job the country would be better off making it harder to get on the dole would make them think to bring back national service and make them work for their money

I retired early (aged 60) to care for my sick partner, received a carers pension until he received an inheritance that took away both our pensions because on paper we are 'asset rich' although we aren't cash flow rich. We budgeted for my super (he doesn't have any left as we needed to use it) to last till I reach 67, making sure there are enough funds for the rising daily living costs, medical and funeral costs - there are no $ for extras or luxury things - no holidays, no going out for meals, we don't smoke or drink, we don't travel, it will be tight but we will manage. Raising the age to 70 will just put further strain on an already difficult situation. There are many people who have budgeted to retire at 67 - 3 yrs more doesn't sound that much more but working an additional 3 yrs to any already tired work force, those that have taken early retirement having sit down and re-do all their budget figures to cover those extra years.

These decisions are made by people sitting in positions with wages well exceeding the average person, behind a plush desk who don't work in the trade labour industry, physically demanding and even mentally demanding jobs - who then get to 'retire' with a income stream still well above the average person.

This is not even looking at what employer is going to employ anyone at the age. It is hard enough to compete with the younger generation once you pass 40, get to your 50's it gets harder and by the time you hit your 60's it is pretty much impossible. Leave the pension age at 67 (prefer to have it drop back to 65) allowing those that wish to remain working full or part time do so but raise the income/asset level to offset the pension reduction payment. As a side note - they were going to put me on Job Seeker initially because I was over 60 and they said no-one in the current climate was employing people that age but the string attached is that I had to do 30 hrs volunteer work (work for the dole scheme left over renamed), I was heavily asset tested I had to jump through so many hoops and red tape, till they decided I qualified for a carers pension, again still heavily asset tested but I didn't have to do the mandatory volunteer work.
agree with you this is pathetic. And very frightening 😟😟😟😟😟😟

Here we have yet another ill-considered policy from politicians out of touch with reality. Job seekers over 50 already have an uphill battle as employers prefer younger employees. Job seekers over 60 have almost no chance at all of being employed. Presumably, these job seekers approaching 70 will become Centrelink clients, adding to an overloaded system. What this policy will do is to move older age people from pension payments to Job Seeker payments until they reach age 70. Giving people a choice about working into older age is a good option, but not everyone is in physical shape to continue working. If the problem this policy claims to address is that the country is short of workers, then a more productive solution is to find positive ways to get people off unemployment benefits and into jobs rather than forcing people who have worked through their lives to work longer.

These ideas always seem to be dreamed up by armchair academics most of whom are in a position to retire when they choose on pretty comfortable superannuation schemes that allow access from as young as 55. Nurses. Aged carers, teachers, as well as the harder physical occupations we all know such as the building trades, manual workers etc don’t have the capacity in many cases to continue working past about 65 let alone 70 . Another issue to consider is; won’t the ‘horse have bolted’ by 2050? The ‘baby boomers ‘ will all largely have croaked it by then? The immigration rates may need to increase to bring in skilled younger people and the mix of people will have changed yet again.
Certainly it would be great to encourage part time work for a range of reasons including intellectual and social stimulation and so taking away the current financial disincentives would be a great move.
Why penalise a pensioner etc at all if they work? Sure, tax them as per the income tax tables but provide real incentives for those of us who want to work to do so.
I know that after 52 years in the paid workforce, having had many different jobs and even as a ‘pen pusher’, I was ready to retire at 68.
I basically enjoy my retirement and contributing to many local community activities that provide satisfaction from being involved.

View attachment 23327

Key Takeaways

It’s just ridiculous to think a tradie can work till 70 my son in law only in early 50s and suffering from being a tiler and working on his knees and what’s the big fuss about the younger having to support the seniors when in the next 20 years most will be using there on money from their super

View attachment 23327

Key Takeaways

its ridulous to think a tradie can work till their 70 my son in law is a wall and floor tiler and already has knee and back pains in his early 50s from being on his knees and lifting tiles. Also surely within the next 20 or sooner most people will be living on their own super and not requiring help from the government