Reddit users react to twins named after two 'booming' cities

Naming your baby is never an easy process.

You must be aware that a child's name becomes part of their identity throughout their lives, and you only get one shot to pick a good one.

As a result, parents often contemplate for months, trying out different names to see which one will suit their little bundle of joy.

And after all that consideration, it would be such a shame to pick something that doesn't stand the test of time…

m9K_6X92guYC5-lmSmu85cSFLJ_Rcq0WNzFgGusX9a8_CqepHVbjXgSjQufOFRfBKkM1_YeiooewzrfmCbuHdmKuERLbOAKoVwlrVYz0st7d3ydRuPlyDWPDLhnEB2MkNsqVblULvLfm7tkTE29lR1k

Fraternal twins named after two war-torn cities shocked users online. Credit: Reddit.

Just take a look at the case of these fraternal twins born in 1978 whose names left several users on a popular forum site shocked and confused.

Apparently, the boy was named Nagasaki and the girl was named Hiroshima.

Yes, you read that right, folks…

The parents of the twins named both of them after the two Japanese cities that faced devastating atomic bomb attacks from the US in World War II.

The attacks wiped out hundreds and thousands of Japanese citizens during the war which left the two cities scarred and burned to the ground. Not exactly a 'good memory' you want to associate with your child's name, right?

Many users on the forum website Reddit admitted they were surprised that someone named their children after the two war-torn cities. However, most of them found humour in the unusual situation.

One person in the comments section said, 'I don't know what you're talking about, those kids are the bomb,' while another added to the joke by writing, 'I wonder what the fallout of having those names will be…'

'I thought it was because during the pregnancy their mother had noxious gas,' quipped a third, while a fourth said, 'Changing diapers in that house will be an ordeal, I'll betcha.'

Others, however, didn't find the names amusing.

'Reminds me of the couple that named their kid Adolf Hitler,' one user wrote in the comments. Another user called the names 'risky' and 'very toxic', while a few others said it might be insensitive to other people.

EJdKcmJ6zQIwYyVUBAHNAbWmtbabUb-eb-hOc-qbYtVETgz-pVUiBhCU0N9gJiBhscmE_QJWIRnAURJuxwL4bqZwyJ5gYu1D4PiGlUrAIpshCiexT_4VK3XGNdntZlgaRaAqe-d6h4MW5nHUnMA-9Ok

Twins Hiroshima Kindelan (girl) and Nagasaki Kindelan (boy) were born in Cuba in 1978. Credit: iStock.

One particular comment from the Reddit post claimed that apparently, the twins were born in Cuba and they were named by their father.

During the pregnancy, he thought of the twins as 'booming' inside his wife 'like two bombs'. Hence the names Hiroshima and Nagasaki…

What are your thoughts, folks? Have you heard of any unusual baby names such as these? Share them with us in the comments!

Sponsored
I worked in Neonatal Intensive Care for over thirty years. I have seen so many interesting, curious, odd, different, awful names in that time. Some very interesting spelling too.

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay
I am more concerned with the twins who have been named Nagasaki & Hiroshima. Apart from the history kids give one another nicknames @ school. Obviously the little girl will get "Hiro" which is a boys Japanese name & the boy Naga. Names do stick growing up. A late mate of mine was longing to be married to change her name, but..........her maiden name was Glassman & she had 49 years being Mrs Glasscocks!! AND my Mum's maiden name was Chambers & her school friend in the same grade was Potts. Those little twins just might open a competition thought for our hard working 6.

Picture it, 8 years from now, school playground. Hey Nag, wanna play? Hey why have you got such a weird name? Shortened to His and Nag,as kids do. How sad.

I know a lot won't agree with me but I still think the weirdest name I have ever come across is ABCDE.

There was a birth notice in my local paper some years ago. The Sur name was Goodfellow and the baby girl was named Foresha Jolly