I thought I had a giant rat roaming on my back deck. Then I questioned that thought because I began to spot it during the day, strolling along behind my pot plants.
I set up my comfy chair inside looking out to a strategic position.
Turns out, it was a baby possum going walkies. So, I just let it be and it left in its own time.
That taught me to never assume something is what I think it is. We live in suburbia, but for some reason, the odd native animal wanders in to say hello. I have seen possums walking over the road on power lines. They are very, very tricky like little possum ninjas.
Next time I see something that needs investigating, I will definitely call in an expert. There are plenty of them out there who can ID nests and deal with intruders in a humane manner.

Rat a tat tat .... any answers to rats?

Hi I have a RAT that has decided to nest in my ceiling. I hear it in the walls as well.

If anyone has had GREAT SUCCESS with a sonic repellant for rats, please let us all know.

The sound is not constant, but it can be sooooo annoying.

Any advice please?

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I bought bait from Bunnings ….just threw it into the ceiling…pink in colour and in little sealed bags which are eatable to the rats ..ransack rapid strike soft bait with added attractant …worked a treat …goodluck

I reckon baits are cruel. Everyone has a manhole in their ceiling. Open it up and put a rat trap in. Rats love peanut butter on a piece of toast. My mother did this, and it was a success. She took them far away and let them go where there was a creek and no houses nearby with bush.

get a carpet python and put in roof they are pretty harmless to us but deadly for rats mice etc, generally can be picked up if not mating and throw in roof they'll find any exit point and come and go as they please.

Can't find one/ ask the local snake catcher to give you one
Joke right🙀

• Wow
Reactions: Tervueren
I bought bait from Bunnings ….just threw it into the ceiling…pink in colour and in little sealed bags which are eatable to the rats ..ransack rapid strike soft bait with added attractant …worked a treat …goodluck
Good for you “NOT “guess what eats rats ,big birds snakes big lizards the poison will kill these animals if they eat a poisoned rat 👎

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Tervueren
Joke right🙀
No actually, if your able to get a carpet python, chuck it in there and you'll never have another rat.
Stinking out the house with rotting ones from rat-bait does work, if living with the smell for a few days when they pop open appeals. I live on a rural property and it was driving me crazy, so I cut back all trees that were close to touching my gutters and set piano wire snare on beams heading into my roof, that was about a week after this post... about a month back and NOT ONE RAT since...

No actually, if your able to get a carpet python, chuck it in there and you'll never have another rat.
Stinking out the house with rotting ones from rat-bait does work, if living with the smell for a few days when they pop open appeals. I live on a rural property and it was driving me crazy, so I cut back all trees that were close to touching my gutters and set piano wire snare on beams heading into my roof, that was about a week after this post... about a month back and NOT ONE RAT since...
The dead ratty smell is disgusting 🤮I get rats in my roof sometimes but apparantely there bush rats. 😁

Buy a cat?
Not all cats are ratters, and they'll get birds and everything else, before they'll take on a rat. Rats fight back. Not all cats are up for it.

Rats are MUCH BIGGER than mice, and not all cats hunt mice either. Piano wire snares way up high, however, does scare them off I have discovered. this is all just my opinion. I'm simply offering help, as it was me that created the post in the forum. And I found my answer.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Yes , I would have a carpet snake in the ceiling. We lived rural and when we had a tradie doing some work in the ceiling , the first thing they said “ you have snakes in the ceiling and we said “we know” as we could hear it in the ceiling and we were quite happy as we did not have any rats. We found often snakeskin in the ceiling and garage.
If you do not have a snake , ransack will do the job also for mice . Bunnings does sell it , also sell rat traps .
Ratsacks ☠️ no thanks

I don't think they ment put him in the manhole ! I think they ment if you have cats they will kill rodents
I know that just joshing😂he sometimes brings them home little brat thought you had a sense of humour or is it having a rat nap💤

Last edited:
Reactions: Suzanne rose
Get a Jack Russell Terrier. It's second nature to them and they're fearless. For a cruelty free method try peppermint or eucalyptus oil on cotton balls - the rodents hate it - smells good too 🧐