RAA insurance refunds thousands due to pricing discrepancies

Navigating the insurance world can often feel like trying to find your way through a maze blindfolded.

It's complex and confusing, and sometimes, it needs to deliver what was promised.

Many South Australians can relate to this sentiment, as the state's insurer, RAA, is refunding 180,000 current and former members due to an advertising discrepancy that left many paying more than they should have.

The issue stems from an external review of RAA’s pricing practices, which uncovered discrepancies between advertised promotions and the insurance policies provided.

This review revealed that customers had been overcharged on premiums, GST, stamp duty, and interest.

1728443746187.png
Due to overcharged premiums, South Australian insurer RAA is issuing refunds to 180,000 current and former members. Credit: Shutterstock

This situation echoes a more significant industry-wide problem, highlighted by a 2021 Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) review.

That review saw almost a dozen of Australia's largest insurers pay $815 million to customers over unfulfilled promises.

While RAA was not directly implicated in the ASIC review, the company took proactive measures to commission its review, aiming to stay on the 'front foot' of potential issues.

This decision reflects a growing trend in the industry towards transparency and customer satisfaction as insurers work to rebuild trust in the wake of widespread scrutiny.

So far, about 30,000 RAA customers have received their due reimbursements following the report's findings.

The amount each customer is entitled to varies, depending on the type, value, and number of policies they hold.

For some, the refund might be a nominal sum as low as $5, but for others—particularly those with multiple policies over extended periods—it could be more substantial.

RAA Insurance chief executive Tara Page has emphasised the company's commitment to high standards and doing right by its members.

‘RAA holds itself to an extremely high standard, and we always try to do the right thing by our members,’ she said.

‘We’ve set up a dedicated team to help get that money back to members as quickly and securely as possible and support them if they have any questions or concerns.’

To facilitate the refund process, RAA has established a dedicated team to ensure that money is returned to members quickly and securely.

This team is also prepared to support members with any questions or concerns regarding the refunds.

The issue's crux was misleading marketing and promotional material about applying insurance discounts.

Customers were sometimes informed that discounts only applied to base premiums and that minimum premiums were applicable.

Despite these marketing issues, a company spokesperson assured that the prices charged were always consistent with the product disclosure statements.

If you're a current or former RAA member, check your inbox or contact RAA directly to see if you're eligible for a refund.
Key Takeaways
  • South Australian insurer RAA is refunding 180,000 current and former members due to overcharged premiums.
  • The refunds result from an external review of RAA's insurance pricing and advertising discrepancies.
  • Customers' refunds vary; some receive as little as $5, and others are due for more significant amounts.
  • RAA is committed to high standards and has established a dedicated team to handle refunds and assist members with queries.
Have you experienced similar issues with insurance policies not meeting advertised promotions? Have you received a refund from RAA, or are you still waiting to hear from them? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Never had any trouble with the bank, in fact they have been very helpful on several occasions, When I go in they treat me like one of the staff, Pity they do not have more branches.

Reactions: Dynamo
Never had any trouble with the bank, in fact they have been very helpful on several occasions, When I go in they treat me like one of the staff, Pity they do not have more branches.
Yes, I agree. I am over two hours away from my nearest branch,.but I would not change banks,their service is excellent.
I do internet banking mostly and any queries can usually be sorted out by phone.

Reactions: Dynamo
I wonder if the refunds will extend to RACV. We have many policies for many years.

Not fussed with comments about Beyond Bank, need more comments WRT RAA. I have been with it for I don't know how long, and haven't heard a thing. Need more input from SA people please.

I was fleeced of $95,000 thousand dollars by Real life insurance when I was taken advantage of by this insurance organisation. As a war veteran on a total and permanent assessment I took out a life insurance policy for myself for my carer in the event of my death, unfortunately she was diagnosed with a life threatening cancer and was hospitalized for a long period and as she was responsible for organizing my affairs my personal care was totally disorganized as I was in chronic pain and unable to handle my affairs.
It was during this time that Real Insurance would ring me with a plea to increase my policy and due to the circumstances and the poor reception of the local mobile service I would agree to their suggestions without being capable of realizing that i was also agreeing to increase the premium. Real Insurance would then deduct the increase in the premium from my bank account without me being fully aware of what they were doing until I received a bank statement from my Commonwealth bank account that $95,000 thousand dollars had been deducted by Real Life insurance. On contacting the Insurance company and voicing my horror of what had happened I was informed that they had voice recordings of me agreeing to increase the worth of the policy and I could not legally deny the premium amount so therefore they could legally deduct the premium from my account, my only option was to decrease the life insurance $ amount worth and they would deduct the premium payment from the money that they had already obtained, I was so angry I cancelled the policy all together and therefore have been fleeced by the insurance company completely of the premium amount of $95,000 dollars,. It pains me every time when I see their T V advertisements and read the B.S attached to their flyers . So beware if you intend to take out a policy with them or if you already have one that you are not victim of the same scam. In finishing I would add that the Insurance company did not care that I was a disabled war veteran and that my carer was undergoing extensive chemotherapy in hospital. The other 4 patients that were suffering from the same cancer and undergoing the same treatment regime have since died.
Real Life Insurance is a real disaster for those in a disadvantaged situation so BEWARE!!!!!!.

and has been very fortunate to be still alive as the other 4 patients being treated for the same cancer surcumbed to their cancer within 12 months

• Sad
Reactions: Chicky
Banks are no longer included in the category of SERVICE PROVIDER, they are just FEE COLLECTORS.

I've never heard of 'em, so, I reckon that I wont be getting any refund. What about you ?
I got a letter from.comminwealth bank which I have had nothing to do with for 25, years after the government enquiry.Appatently I was entitled to $1.41.I kept the cheque as a momento and never banked it🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

All this started a few years ago when banks and super funds were charging fees for unnecessary insurance policies attached to financial deals. They were found out and made to pay back the fees. I had several thousand paid back into my super fund and also a cheque from Commonwealth Bank as they were the administrators. They did it for years, so look into it.