Quick tips and tricks to dry your clothes WITHOUT a dryer – especially during the winter

It's not enough for any of us to just have clean clothes – of course, they have to be dry too! Nobody wants to wear a damp shirt or risk the onset of mould growth.

However, if you live in an apartment, you might only have room for one washer or dryer because of the space constraints. Plus, dryers drain a lot of energy!

While there's always the option of renting an in-unit dryer or going to a laundry facility, these additional costs can add up over time.

There are numerous ways to dry your clothes, regardless of whether you don't have space for a dryer at home, want to save money at the laundromat, or want to be a little more environmentally friendly.

xVo8Tc3JqIpgLO9IHUE4AdKcp3ApIZ-iK2bKd69xuaMf7VZPwkwRhUxhKmgPud6ecKbvkvL-PpxmZBwW_CT1NeN3MtM6PCRTjjDAHWvG9GLI13CBbRFCHpEJSl30UXOFgobBWuq1rx3vu8KGYQ

She uses the "burrito" method to squeeze extra water out of wet clothes. Credit: TikTok/@neat.caroline.

Here, a mum demonstrates a clever tip she picked up for quickly blotting up excess moisture with a towel.

Caroline said she starts by lying a towel (the bigger, the better) down on the floor and placing her wet item of clothing on it, starting at the base.

"We're going to do the burrito method," she said. "Grab the base, and just roll it up. Then you're going to press down on the towel with your knees to really wring out the moisture."

After using this method to "wring" out some of the excess water, you can hang the garment on a drying rack in your living room. Now, it won't take the clothes all night to dry, according to Caroline.

You can also use your hairdryer to remove the excess moisture from your clothes, which is another nifty option for drying them if you don't have a dryer in your home. We're pretty sure most of us have hair dryers hiding somewhere, right?

Just lay the item flat, and get the dryer going on the highest setting. The amount of time needed for the clothing to completely dry will depend on the material, but usually, it only takes a few minutes.

"It's a great method to try if you're travelling and have hand-washed something, if you don't have a dryer at home, or if your dryer is broken," added Caroline.

Now that we are well into the colder months of the year, here are some more tips and suggestions for drying your clothes indoors:

Place clothes near a window.

You can air-dry your clothes inside your house if you live somewhere where the winters can get extremely chilly.

Always use the sunniest area of the room with the most windows when hanging wet clothes inside. This will allow for the most airflow and maximise the amount of sunlight that the clothing receives.

Don't hang your clothes to dry in the basement.

The basement is never a good place to hang your clothes. This is because basements have less natural light and airflow. Additionally, the extra moisture on your clothing can make some of the issues with humidity and poor air quality worse.

If you live in a place with high humidity even in the winter, buying a dehumidifier will help your clothes dry faster and improve the quality of the air inside your home.

Use a retractable indoor clothesline.

Most people are reluctant to place a stationary clothes hanger in the centre of their living room during the winter because it eats a lot of the available space.

With the ability to be retracted and stored when not in use, retractable clotheslines offer a lot of space for drying clothes, allowing them to dry quicker.

Use radiators and other indoor heating sources.

When drying clothes inside, homes with radiators or boilers can use the source of heat and air to dry clothes quicker.

Portable radiator drying racks can be put right on top of the radiator without blocking the airflow, so you can still use the heat it gives off.

There you have it, folks! While a traditional dryer makes drying clothes easier, it also consumes a lot of energy and is quite expensive.

These tips for drying clothes in the winter are an easy way to make your home more eco-friendly and cost-effective. Do you have other suggestions you want to share? Let us know in the comments, your fellow members might find it useful this winter!

For more tips on hang drying your clothes, check out the video below:

Credit: miss methodical.

Sponsored
I was travelling in London when I needed to do some washing. I used the roll up towel method first. My bathroom had a heated floor so I laid the clothes out on a dry towel until they were dry.

Reactions: Ricci
Um, is it really that much more expensive to dry a load in a dryer than to sit with the same amount of laundry and your hair dryer?:unsure:
The time involved drying your clothes with a hairdryer on a regular basis is not even worth considering.....and using the towel method on a regular basis is a retrograde step ....you've still got soggy wet towels to dry....

I strung a line across my bath lengthwise & hang laundry on there.. dries overnight!

Reactions: Ricci
This is not something new. I've done it for decades with knitted jumpers that you can't put in a dryer and which you don't want to hang up heavy and sodden with water. It's not a practical option, however, if you have a lot of laundry to dry. I agree with JayKay that using a hairdryer is not even worth considering.

Use a hair-dryer? Good heavens no! So wasteful! I have rarely owned a clothes dryer because I just don't see the need. During winter when there's not as much sunshine I simply use a fabulous camping clothesline overnight and rarely have washing hanging around more than that but sometimes in front of a window in sunshine works too - the glass concentrates the heat more than being ouside (as cats know!) However! I use my line with the top the other way because it's much more stable that way.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220707-130803_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220707-130803_Chrome.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1
If you are on holidays and just washing a few undies in the bathroom basin, then rolling them in a towel works well. But at home, my Miele washing machine spins out the clothes so well, I just give them a good shake and hang them on a clothes horse, over a heating duct where possible. They are usually dry overnight.

It's not enough for any of us to just have clean clothes – of course, they have to be dry too! Nobody wants to wear a damp shirt or risk the onset of mould growth.

However, if you live in an apartment, you might only have room for one washer or dryer because of the space constraints. Plus, dryers drain a lot of energy!

While there's always the option of renting an in-unit dryer or going to a laundry facility, these additional costs can add up over time.

There are numerous ways to dry your clothes, regardless of whether you don't have space for a dryer at home, want to save money at the laundromat, or want to be a little more environmentally friendly.

xVo8Tc3JqIpgLO9IHUE4AdKcp3ApIZ-iK2bKd69xuaMf7VZPwkwRhUxhKmgPud6ecKbvkvL-PpxmZBwW_CT1NeN3MtM6PCRTjjDAHWvG9GLI13CBbRFCHpEJSl30UXOFgobBWuq1rx3vu8KGYQ

She uses the "burrito" method to squeeze extra water out of wet clothes. Credit: TikTok/@neat.caroline.

Here, a mum demonstrates a clever tip she picked up for quickly blotting up excess moisture with a towel.

Caroline said she starts by lying a towel (the bigger, the better) down on the floor and placing her wet item of clothing on it, starting at the base.

"We're going to do the burrito method," she said. "Grab the base, and just roll it up. Then you're going to press down on the towel with your knees to really wring out the moisture."

After using this method to "wring" out some of the excess water, you can hang the garment on a drying rack in your living room. Now, it won't take the clothes all night to dry, according to Caroline.

You can also use your hairdryer to remove the excess moisture from your clothes, which is another nifty option for drying them if you don't have a dryer in your home. We're pretty sure most of us have hair dryers hiding somewhere, right?

Just lay the item flat, and get the dryer going on the highest setting. The amount of time needed for the clothing to completely dry will depend on the material, but usually, it only takes a few minutes.

"It's a great method to try if you're travelling and have hand-washed something, if you don't have a dryer at home, or if your dryer is broken," added Caroline.

Now that we are well into the colder months of the year, here are some more tips and suggestions for drying your clothes indoors:

Place clothes near a window.

You can air-dry your clothes inside your house if you live somewhere where the winters can get extremely chilly.

Always use the sunniest area of the room with the most windows when hanging wet clothes inside. This will allow for the most airflow and maximise the amount of sunlight that the clothing receives.

Don't hang your clothes to dry in the basement.

The basement is never a good place to hang your clothes. This is because basements have less natural light and airflow. Additionally, the extra moisture on your clothing can make some of the issues with humidity and poor air quality worse.

If you live in a place with high humidity even in the winter, buying a dehumidifier will help your clothes dry faster and improve the quality of the air inside your home.

Use a retractable indoor clothesline.

Most people are reluctant to place a stationary clothes hanger in the centre of their living room during the winter because it eats a lot of the available space.

With the ability to be retracted and stored when not in use, retractable clotheslines offer a lot of space for drying clothes, allowing them to dry quicker.

Use radiators and other indoor heating sources.

When drying clothes inside, homes with radiators or boilers can use the source of heat and air to dry clothes quicker.

Portable radiator drying racks can be put right on top of the radiator without blocking the airflow, so you can still use the heat it gives off.

There you have it, folks! While a traditional dryer makes drying clothes easier, it also consumes a lot of energy and is quite expensive.

These tips for drying clothes in the winter are an easy way to make your home more eco-friendly and cost-effective. Do you have other suggestions you want to share? Let us know in the comments, your fellow members might find it useful this winter!

For more tips on hang drying your clothes, check out the video below:

Credit: miss methodical.

Good old ways of drying clothes!

Um, is it really that much more expensive to dry a load in a dryer than to sit with the same amount of laundry and your hair dryer?:unsure:
can't imagine holding a hairdryer- still takes electricity and time but confines you to do sit there and do it.

Last edited:
Seriously these people think they invented something oh so new. Honestly, they'll do the most obvious things to just get their immature faces online. And the MOST ridiculous thing is these moronic posts are promoted to everyone in the seniordiscountclub. Come on, up your game here. Surely you can do better than sending out stupid garbage like this.🤨

Reactions: relljube
Seriously these people think they invented something oh so new. Honestly, they'll do the most obvious things to just get their immature faces online. And the MOST ridiculous thing is these moronic posts are promoted to everyone in the seniordiscountclub. Come on, up your game here. Surely you can do better than sending out stupid garbage like this.🤨
I do agree with what is promoted to seniors being quite ridiculous, when our parents, grandparents and even great grandparents did all of these things. Seems to me there is a generation of parents not passing on what is often the obvious, simply common sense especially given many of these so called hacks are using the products that were pretty much the only ones available to us.

Reactions: LH2022
There used to be a funny old thing called "sunlight", which apparently worked quite well ... free, too!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jennylolo
Again with the self-promoting photo for old fashioned common sense ideas (wrapped up as a hack) - minus the hair dryer - who would be so stupid?

Reactions: Zemo
Could only be more toopid if she grabbed the live end of the line in one hand and the dryer in the other with wet hands. But what a magical bit of "live" broadcasting that would be!

• Haha
Reactions: relljube
With the cost of electricity going up and the cold days here for another month I wash clothes in the afternoon put out overnight (providing it’s not going to rain) then bring them in by 4pm before it gets cold. Then around 10pm put them in the dryer and run that for about 1 hour and all our clothes are then dried. It is much cheaper on night rate to run a dryer then. o_O(y)
I always check that it going to be sunny of course.

Reactions: Jennylolo