SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jarred Santos

Jarred Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 10, 2022
Queensland police have DITCHED this watchhouse device over human rights concerns

Amid mounting pressure and human rights concerns on the controversial police practice, Queensland Police Chief Katarina Carroll announced that the force will stop using 'spit hoods' in watchhouses. However, they can still be used in state prisons and corrections centres.

‘We recognise there are community concerns around the application of safety hoods in police watchhouses and we undertook an extensive review of the issue before formally discontinuing their use,’ she said in a statement.

‘The QPS (Queensland Police Service) is committed to enhancing our practices to ensure we are delivering high-quality policing services to the community we proudly serve,’ she added.

‘The QPS will implement a number of safety measures in watchhouses including increased PPE, additional protective screens and rolling out a new operational skills training program for watchhouse staff.’

c567d688cc89f08446dea1fea431e2ae.png
ABC News featured spit hoods in a 2016 documentary that triggered an inquiry in the Northern Territory. Credit: abc.net.au
So what are ‘spit hoods’?

‘Spit hoods’ are sack-shaped fabrics placed over a person’s head to discourage actions such as spitting or biting and to protect officers from contracting infectious diseases. The devices, which pose a potential suffocation hazard, have been branded as ‘cruel’ by critics.

A hearing revealed last August that Queensland police had also used the apparatus on minors — eight times since 2019 — with officials then admitting they were exploring other options for restraint.

Additionally, the device had been used over 100 times from 2015-2022 according to related reports.

Michael Berkman, Maiwar MP of the Greens, and staunch critic of the ‘torture’ devices, welcomed the development and said the QPS ‘deserved credit’.

‘Despite the availability of clear alternatives like PPE, spit hoods have been used in prisons and watch houses, on children and adults, and disproportionately on First Nations people.’

‘There’s no good reason to put a bag over someone’s head, especially in watch houses where children as young as 10 are held in Queensland,’ he added.

However, Berkman also said the government should also move further by banning spit hoods in legislation — something the National Ban Spit Hoods Coalition agrees with.

In a statement reacting to the news, the group said the ban ‘is not enough’, and that it must be enacted into law and be broader to cover anyone regardless of age and location.

Queensland is the second state to impose restrictions on spit hood use. In 2021, a bill outlawing the measure passed South Australia’s legislation five years after the controversial death of a local man in police custody.

The Northern Territory’s government meanwhile ended the use of spit hoods on minors in police custody. Similarly, the development came years after they were banned from youth prisons.

Source: Youtube/10 News First

To get a look at how Australia’s watchhouse and prison system works — including the use of controversial ‘spit hoods’ — you can watch this Four Corners documentary here.

Members, we’d like to hear what you have to think about this. Is the use of ‘spit hoods’ ever justified, or do you believe they represent a clear violation of a person’s basic rights? Do you have anything to add or communicate? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricci
Well, I guess that now officers will just have to tolerate being spat on and bitten. If you don't work in the field, then don't comment. Children as young as 10 can be vicious, dangerous future criminals and, treating them like poor, hard done by little angels will not stop them from being vicious, dangerous future criminals! The same applies to being a teacher - if you have never been a teacher, you have no idea about the reality of teaching in Australia today (I retired from decades of teaching high school in January this year). Only teachers and their families know the incredible amount of work a teacher does all year, holidays included. Personally, I am a great believer in taking these young, future criminals to stations in the outback and setting them to work. Surrounded by real men who are not effeminate feminist males, who don't take bullshit from these kids. They don't work, then they don't eat. They chuck a tantrum because that works with psychologists who really don't have a clue about what makes these kids tick, then a good, swift kick up the arse would do wonders. This applies to both males and females. If they are made to work with people who have a sense of worth, who value themselves and their job, who teach lessons that need to be learnt, then I believe that will sense of worth and value will affect the kids and teach them valuable lessons.

I have never worked in this field however I wouldn't want to the way the world is going now. If people choose to act like rabid animals by spitting and biting they should still be using the hoods. No one signs up to put up with that behaviour.

Well, I guess that now officers will just have to tolerate being spat on and bitten. If you don't work in the field, then don't comment. Children as young as 10 can be vicious, dangerous future criminals and, treating them like poor, hard done by little angels will not stop them from being vicious, dangerous future criminals! The same applies to being a teacher - if you have never been a teacher, you have no idea about the reality of teaching in Australia today (I retired from decades of teaching high school in January this year). Only teachers and their families know the incredible amount of work a teacher does all year, holidays included. Personally, I am a great believer in taking these young, future criminals to stations in the outback and setting them to work. Surrounded by real men who are not effeminate feminist males, who don't take bullshit from these kids. They don't work, then they don't eat. They chuck a tantrum because that works with psychologists who really don't have a clue about what makes these kids tick, then a good, swift kick up the arse would do wonders. This applies to both males and females. If they are made to work with people who have a sense of worth, who value themselves and their job, who teach lessons that need to be learnt, then I believe that will sense of worth and value will affect the kids and teach them valuable lessons.
Very well said.
I agree totally with your views.

I wasn't going to comment on this story as I thought I'd be out of step with most folks. Turns out I was wrong and that other people think the same as me. Give the little sh*ts some of their own medicine and see how they like it. I don't agree with brutality but I do agree with firm, consistent behavior and sometimes tough love is the only way to go.

General question. 'Would YOU like to be spat on, at any time?' Those who spit and bite are not displaying any sort of responsible adult behavior. Treat them any (non-violent) way that stops their anti-social activities.

Totally agree - time to stop this namby pamby attitude.

I have worked in a similar occupation with adults & believe use of these devices by Police are totally justified.

Doesn't this sort of behaviour amount to an assault on a Public servant? YES!

Is using the spit hood a clear violation of a person's rights? Do people engage in these difficult careers with a clear understanding that offenders have a 'basic right' to abuse Police Officers? NO, on both accounts!!!

What a great excuse for offenders to play up knowing a spit hood will not be applied. Makes for a great point for 'bragging rights' doesn't it?? I spat on or bit a Police Officer & they couldn't stop me doing it again because they couldn't use a spit hood.

If these devices are considered to be unsuitable because wearers cannot breathe, make these from a more open weave mesh, but Do Not Totally Ban these for anyone working in an occupation where these are a requirement!!!

The term 'BASIC RIGHTS' is being applied too often to any situation eroding the powers of those people who are put in charge of enforcing our laws. Why not do away with Police Officers & the power they hold in enforcing the law & just have a state of anarchy? (silly l know, but where does society draw the line?).

I have worked in a similar occupation with adults & believe use of these devices by Police are totally justified.

Doesn't this sort of behaviour amount to an assault on a Public servant? YES!

Is using the spit hood a clear violation of a person's rights? Do people engage in these difficult careers with a clear understanding that offenders have a 'basic right' to abuse Police Officers? NO, on both accounts!!!

What a great excuse for offenders to play up knowing a spit hood will not be applied. Makes for a great point for 'bragging rights' doesn't it?? I spat on or bit a Police Officer & they couldn't stop me doing it again because they couldn't use a spit hood.

If these devices are considered to be unsuitable because wearers cannot breathe, make these from a more open weave mesh, but Do Not Totally Ban these for anyone working in an occupation where these are a requirement!!!

The term 'BASIC RIGHTS' is being applied too often to any situation eroding the powers of those people who are put in charge of enforcing our laws. Why not do away with Police Officers & the power they hold in enforcing the law & just have a state of anarchy? (silly l know, but where does society draw the line?).
Funny how the only ones allowed to have "rights" are the wronguns! The rest of us can make our own arrangements!

Reactions: Ricci and Ezzy
Dear All,

Firstly, how would you like to have a spit hood over your head? Secondly, how would you like your own 10 year child to have a spit hood over their heads, notwithstanding whether they spit or for whatever reason.
It very similar to the hood they place over prisoners in Iraqi jails and Quantamelo Bay except for the colour!

Agree that is stops spitting and biting but then again agree with Ezzy that they can be made with nylon open mesh at eye level and finer mesh at nose/mouth level to stop spitting/biting. It's more humane and treats them better than assumed terrorists.

As for 'setting them to work' I can suggest a good (training) program is to provide vocational education. A suitable one would be furniture, house or spray painting using low toxicity products. They could later move on to become tradesman when they learn the art and technicalities of (commercial/industrial) painting.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
There is no mention of them still being used in mental institutions. The hoods are still used until the patients are medicated and calm. Using face shields is impractical, useless, and unsafe as it has been found that you can still get sprayed with body fluids and feaces. The only practical alternative will be to do blood and saliva tests on all incoming offenders at the Watch Houses and then it will be deemed an invasion of human rights. You will find that the spit hoods are not used in many states anymore and are banned in South Australia.

Reactions: Ezzy