Queensland man denied refund by Virgin Australia for pandemic-halted overseas flight worth $22,113

A man from Queensland named Drew Koshemakin had saved for seven years to fulfil his promise to his 14-year-old nephew—a dream trip to Las Vegas when he turned 21.

This long-awaited moment finally arrived on February 11, 2020, when he booked three round-trip business class flights (for himself, his wife, and his nephew) from Brisbane to Los Angeles (LA) through Flight Centre.

He also booked a domestic flight from LA to Las Vegas with Delta, an affiliate of Virgin, along with accommodations for their two-week stay.

Their departure date was set for October 31, 2020, but all flights were grounded when the COVID-19 pandemic struck. In response, Flight Centre refunded him nearly $4,000 for the domestic flights and hotels.

Unfortunately, Virgin, which had entered voluntary administration in April 2020, could not offer the same refund.

Instead, Drew was issued Future Flight credits of equal value, amounting to $22,113.

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 3.50.34 PM.png
A Queensland man who booked a dream holiday to the US with his family just before the pandemic has been told he’s not getting any of his money back. Credit: Unsplash.

A Virgin Australia spokesperson explained that they cannot provide refunds to customers who had booked flights or holidays before the company went into voluntary administration on April 2020.

This is because the new Virgin Australia business, unlike its competitors, doesn't have access to the funds customers had paid for these bookings.

Instead, they are offering Future Flight Credits, which will expire on December 31, 2023, three years from when they were initially issued.

The spokesperson further clarified that during the administration process, the new owners of Virgin Australia sought approval from the Federal Court to issue these Future Flight Credits.

During that period, travel restrictions were still in effect, and Drew couldn't find any suitable travel options to book. He hoped that the airline would eventually resume its flights to the United States, allowing him to fulfil his original travel plans, but regrettably, this hasn't come to pass.

Nevertheless, the airline does offer routes to six other international destinations, such as Bali, and, as of June this year, there's a new route from Cairns to Tokyo. However, the Kallangur-based traveller found these options to be less appealing.

‘It is a lot of money just to go to Bali, and I also don’t have the time to get off work,’ said Drew.

‘I have got a mortgage, bills, and inflation has crept right up. I have had to tighten the belt on a few things, and that money is just sitting there in limbo.’

‘I just want a fair go.’

Drew even looked into the possibility of using his flight credits with Virgin's partner, United Airlines, but was informed that this wasn't feasible.

The Virgin website specifies that Future Flight credit is exclusively valid for Virgin Australia-operated flights, including any upcoming services Virgin Australia offers.

In other words, in Drew’s case, he couldn’t apply your Future Flight credit towards flights operated by Virgin Australia's codeshare and interline partners, except for specific flights operated by Alliance Airlines between Brisbane airport.

‘Your Future Flight credit can only be used on Virgin Australia-operated flights, including any future services Virgin Australia operates,’ it says on Virgin’s website.

1697411576198.png

Adam Glezer from Consumer Champion has been a vocal advocate for Drew and others in a similar situation. He believes it's unjust that passengers who booked their flights before the pandemic are not receiving the same benefits as those who booked after the pandemic.

‘Those who have COVID Credits cannot only fly until 2025, but they can also use their credits to travel to a multitude of international destinations with Virgin’s partners,’ he said.

According to Mr Glezer, Virgin should, at the very least, permit passengers with Flight Credits to use them for booking dream trips with the airline's partner carriers.

He argued: ‘It’s not their fault their flights were cancelled due to COVID, and it seems as if Virgin don’t care that it’s going to cost families up to tens of thousands of dollars. It’s great that Virgin have the ACCC’s approval, but it’s a matter of right from wrong. It’s morally disgraceful.’

Drew is still eager to go to Las Vegas with his wife and nephew, but he's concerned about the cost once his credits for the trip expire at the end of the year.

To make matters worse, the airline has made it clear that they won't extend the expiry date of these Flight Credits. They've already extended their COVID credits multiple times to recognise the challenges posed by the pandemic.

Since January 2022, Virgin Australia has made 2.4 million seats available for redemption using Future Flight Credits, and around 830,000 of these seats have been used by customers.

Currently, there is $290 million worth of outstanding Future Flight Credits.

Key Takeaways

• A Queensland man named Drew Koshemakin has been refused a refund amounting to $22,113 by Virgin Australia. The funds were for a dream holiday to the US, which had to be cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Virgin Australia entered into voluntary administration in April 2020, issuing Drew with Future Flight credits of the same value to be used by December 31, 2023.
  • Drew claims the airline is not providing fair options to use those credits, resulting in his money being held in limbo.
  • The value of outstanding Future Flight Credits still stands at $290 million despite approximately 830,000 seats being used by Virgin customers using these credits.

Members, what are your thoughts on Drew’s story? Have you had less than pleasant experiences with pandemic-era flight credits, too? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
Never trust an Australian airline to honour its commitments to its travellers. How convenient of Virgin to have gone into voluntary administration whilst holding its passengers' money. Even Joyce of QANTAS didn't seem to think of that stunt!

Reactions: Ezzy and Leenie
Try redeeming those credits and have Fun..I had $3200.00 and they could not book me on any dates I wanted.Finally I said book me on anything so that I can redeem some before it expires this December.My wife and I were booked on a return flight to Bali at a cost of $2600.00..???not even Business class ..I said to them Bali with Jetsar package flights with 7 days accomodation is going fo $699..The remainder will not even buy me a domestic ticket..Oh well We took the Bali Holiday last month

did I read any mention of travel insurance? Amazes me that ppl will pay multiple 10 of 1000's of dollars for trips etc, but quivel over a couple of hundred dollars for insurance. Had exactly the same problem with Virgin to the US that covid threw a spanner in, but 100% refunded through travel insurance. Only loss was the $320 insurance policy fee. They went bankrupt, so anyone wanting their money back alternatively joins the creditor list or accept the offer from the NEW owners of Virgin Aust.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy
I cannot believe how Virgin are happy to take Money from People commit themselves to obtain the necessary bookings then when things go pear shaped they refuse to do the right thing and refund
the money..
if the party concerned wanted to go to BALI they would have booked a trip to Bali.. I have only used Virgin ( a few years ago ) on a Domestic Flight and would never use them again .

I cannot believe how Virgin are happy to take Money from People commit themselves to obtain the necessary bookings then when things go pear shaped they refuse to do the right thing and refund
the money..
if the party concerned wanted to go to BALI they would have booked a trip to Bali.. I have only used Virgin ( a few years ago ) on a Domestic Flight and would never use them again .
so you fly (when you may need to) Qantas or Jetstar? Rex doesn't exactly go to many destinations.