Queen Margrethe rushed to the hospital after sudden fall

The Danish royal family has been thrust into the spotlight following a concerning incident involving the beloved former monarch, Queen Margrethe of Denmark.

At the age of 84, Queen Margrethe was hospitalised after a fall at Fredensborg Castle, her residence on the island of Zealand.

Queen Margrethe, who abdicated the throne in January in favour of her son, King Frederik, is currently in stable condition, according to a statement from the palace.

However, she will remain under hospital care for monitoring.

compressed-Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 8.40.56 AM.jpeg
Queen Margarethe was rushed to the hospital after a fall. Credit: @detdanskekongehus / Instagram

Known for her vibrant personality and dedication to her royal duties, Queen Margrethe's fall caused her to withdraw from a scheduled event at Aarhus University, where she was expected to make an appearance.

The former queen, a third cousin of the late Queen Elizabeth II, has been a fixture of Danish life and a symbol of continuity.

Despite resigning from her official role as the reigning monarch, Queen Margrethe has remained active, often performing royal duties alongside her son and his wife, the Australian-born Queen Mary.

The incident at Fredensborg Castle, the royal family's summer retreat, has brought to light the challenges faced by aging monarchs.

Queen Margrethe's decision to abdicate was partly influenced by her health issues, including a back surgery she underwent in February 2023.

In her New Year's Eve speech, she reflected on the operation and its implications for her future, ultimately deciding to pass the mantle to the next generation.

‘It went well, thanks to the skilled healthcare staff who took care of me. Of course, the operation also gave rise to thinking about the future—whether the time had come to leave the responsibility to the next generation,’ she said.

Even after her abdication, Queen Margrethe retains the title of Her Majesty and is empowered to act as regent in the absence of King Frederik, Queen Mary, and Crown Prince Christian.

As Denmark's longest-reigning head of state in Europe, her robust engagement with public life, including her penchant for chain-smoking and her 'normal' activities like supermarket shopping, have endeared her to many.

Her legacy is not only one of personal charisma but also of historical significance. Margrethe II, who ascended the throne in 1972, was the eldest daughter of King Frederik IX and became heir presumptive after a constitutional amendment in 1953 allowed women to inherit the throne.

Her reign has seen Denmark evolve, with her personal touch felt in design to diplomacy.

The Danish monarchy, Europe's oldest, has a lineage tracing back to the Viking king Gorm the Old.

While the monarch's role is mainly ceremonial, the affection and respect for Queen Margrethe reflect the deep connection between the royal family and the Danish people.
Key Takeaways

• Queen Margrethe of Denmark has been hospitalised after a fall at Fredensborg Castle.
  • The 84-year-old monarch is in stable condition but will remain in hospital for monitoring.
  • Margrethe abdicated in January in favour of her son, now King Frederik, citing health issues as one reason for her decision to step down.
  • Despite abdicating, Margrethe remains active in fulfilling royal duties and can serve as regent if necessary.
The Seniors Discount Club sends our best wishes to Queen Margrethe for a full and speedy recovery.

How do you view the role of monarchy in today's world, and what are your impressions of the Danish royal family's handling of Queen Margrethe's abdication and recent health issues? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
They are there more for show, so guessing their titles are just that, a Title.

She is 84 and falls happen to alot of people at this age.

My mother is 76 and had a bad fall a few weeks ago , splitting her head open.

My brother ,her career was a sleep as it was 6am . His dog sleeps in his room and he woke up with her barking at his door, she wanted the door open.
My brother thought someone must have broken in due to how she was barking.

She bolted out the door and did something she had never done, she opened the back sliding door . When my brother got outside ,his dog was barking over my mother who was lying in a pool of blood. He called an ambulance and was taken to the hospital.
Mum had been calling out to my brother but only softly but somehow his pup heard her.

Who needs Royal guards when you have a dog like this.

I wish Queen Margarithe well and hope she heals quickly

I am a royalist and therefore regard the system we have as the best because they do not interfere in our politics and they have significant historical significance. You only have to consider the mess politically in the USA to appreciate this. The Danish Royals demonstrate too how much respect they command from the Danish community

I am a royalist and therefore regard the system we have as the best because they do not interfere in our politics and they have significant historical significance. You only have to consider the mess politically in the USA to appreciate this. The Danish Royals demonstrate too how much respect they command from the Danish community
HUH?

Good for you !! So maybe you can tell us exactly what Royals do !!! .

Why are Royals so important?

I think the UK government is in just as bigger mess as the USA

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Good for you !! So maybe you can tell us exactly what Royals do !!! .

Why are Royals so important?

I think the UK government is in just as bigger mess as the USA
Royals are important as far as I am concerned because if you have the alternative which is likely to be former parliamentarians in charge, then look at the mess they are doing already. Whilst the royals are there, at least there is some independent thoughts in their governing.

In response to a some previous comments:

The Royal families of Denmark and UK have no active role in government. They are above politics. They cannot change laws, control their country's budgets, control their country's bureauocracies, control participation in world events and conflicts etc.

They are unifying historical and ceremonial symbols representing their countries to the world, and as such are instantly recognisable, and serve as a draw-card for world political leaders, leaders in various fields such as science, health, education, entertainment, sport etc and for their own citizens and tourists of all political persuasions.

Members of these Royal families serve their countries as active representatives around their iwn country and the world. They lead, endorse and participate in many philanthrpic endeavours to benefit people from around the world in areas such as education, health, the environment etc.

The Royal families bring much-needed joy to their citizens and visitors, most of whom know that they are non-political, and as such do not have a vested interest in people's cultural, ethnic, racial, gender or religious backgrounds.

I could only wish it were the same for the political leaders and would-be leaders of the world today.

In response to a some previous comments:

The Royal families of Denmark and UK have no active role in government. They are above politics. They cannot change laws, control their country's budgets, control their country's bureauocracies, control participation in world events and conflicts etc.

They are unifying historical and ceremonial symbols representing their countries to the world, and as such are instantly recognisable, and serve as a draw-card for world political leaders, leaders in various fields such as science, health, education, entertainment, sport etc and for their own citizens and tourists of all political persuasions.

Members of these Royal families serve their countries as active representatives around their iwn country and the world. They lead, endorse and participate in many philanthrpic endeavours to benefit people from around the world in areas such as education, health, the environment etc.

The Royal families bring much-needed joy to their citizens and visitors, most of whom know that they are non-political, and as such do not have a vested interest in people's cultural, ethnic, racial, gender or religious backgrounds.

I could only wish it were the same for the political leaders and would-be leaders of the world today.