Qantas mishap costs Aussie dad almost $9,000

Planning a celebration for a significant milestone can be both exciting and stressful–but when there's an unexpected financial hiccup, it can really dampen the spirits.

That's exactly what Geelong father, Jason Wilson, found out the hard way when he attempted to book birthday flights through Qantas, only to end up out of pocket to the tune of $8,977.

Jason was looking forward to sharing an incredible U.S. holiday with his son, marking his 18th birthday with this special trip. Who wouldn't get butterflies in their stomach at the thought of revealing such a delightful surprise?

Sitting down with his laptop open and a credit card ready, Jason chose the perfect Qantas flights, painting a picture in his mind of the wonderful memories they would create.

qantas.jpg
Jason was looking forward to travelling with his son. Credit: Sohel Patel/Pexels

Clear at the thought of his finances, it was time to execute the plan.

‘I finally successfully settled on some flights and proceeded to payment. I attempted not once but five or six times to make a payment...I thought I might use a different card,’ he shared.

Sadly, for our Aussie dad, his jubilation was short-lived. After trying to make a payment multiple times and experiencing an equal number of error messages, he decided to give it a rest and revisit the transaction later.

Much to his surprise, his card was declined at shops the following day.

qantas2.jpg
After experiencing multiple error messages, Jason said he decided to try again later, only to have his card declined at the shops the next day. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

At that moment, it dawned on him that something was badly amiss. That's when he realised his account was overdrawn.

‘I’m out by $8,977.20,’ a distraught Jason stated, further saying that one of his bank accounts is currently overdrawn by six thousand dollars.

Jason took the next logical step by getting in touch with the Qantas customer service team.

However, he wasn’t given any definitive explanation or resolution for the deduction or his overdrawn account. It is also unclear why the money was charged from his account if it wasn’t in exchange for plane tickets.

‘I have not been given an indication of the reason why they have actually made the transaction,’ he shared.

‘The possible solution is that it will just fix itself.’

It is understood that the money was, for a time, in the hands of Qantas. However, it has since been released. Jason and his bank are still determining its location and when it could be credited back into Jason's account. It is also understood that Qantas is attempting to locate the missing funds.

‘They've offered me the tickets at the sale price. So, they will honour that,’ Jason explained. This is little comfort to him, however, with the primary concern being the mysterious missing amount of cash—the exact sum he intended to pay for the tickets to begin with.

Jason also pointed out that he has no idea when he can expect the tickets for their trip since the money is ‘floating’ somewhere. He claimed he was not given a timeline for a solution either.

With his bank account having a shortage of $5,975, the anxious dad stated he wouldn’t be able to ‘see a penny’ of his pay soon. This also led him to borrow money from his friend.

‘If I don't have access to that money when I have all my direct debits occur when my mortgage repayment gets paid, I'm actually not going to have any expendable cash to be able to do that,’ he concluded.

‘So that's when the problem is really going to start to be apparent.’

‘I'm not destitute, but you know, it's been difficult over the last four days or so because I've had to put my life on hold until this is resolved. It's causing a lot of anxiety; I don't know if I'll ever see that money again.’

This worrying account serves as a good reminder for our readers: always double-check those bank statements after making any large transactions, and don’t hesitate to get in touch with your bank or the vendor if something doesn't look quite right.

In similar instances of payment errors, checking your bank account balance via your bank’s application or online also wouldn’t hurt before trying again.
Key Takeaways
  • Geelong dad Jason Wilson ended up out of pocket by $8,977.20 after his attempts to book Qantas flights led to multiple unexpected charges.
  • Despite contacting Qantas customer care numerous times, Wilson claims he has received no definite resolution or explanation.
  • It is understood that Qantas took temporary possession of the funds, which are now unaccounted for, and steps are being taken to locate the money.
  • The financial fallout from the unresolved issue has caused significant anxiety for Wilson, who cannot access his pay and has resorted to borrowing money from friends.
Remember, friends, financial safety is as important as physical safety in this digital era.

What’s your opinion on this story? Have you ever experienced something similar? Comment it below!

Sponsored
Planning a celebration for a significant milestone can be both exciting and stressful–but when there's an unexpected financial hiccup, it can really dampen the spirits.

That's exactly what Geelong father, Jason Wilson, found out the hard way when he attempted to book birthday flights through Qantas, only to end up out of pocket to the tune of $8,977.

Jason was looking forward to sharing an incredible U.S. holiday with his son, marking his 18th birthday with this special trip. Who wouldn't get butterflies in their stomach at the thought of revealing such a delightful surprise?

Sitting down with his laptop open and a credit card ready, Jason chose the perfect Qantas flights, painting a picture in his mind of the wonderful memories they would create.

View attachment 26519
Jason was looking forward to travelling with his son. Credit: Sohel Patel/Pexels

‘I finally successfully settled on some flights and proceeded to payment. I attempted not once but five or six times to make a payment...I thought I might use a different card,’ he shared.

Sadly, for our Aussie dad, his jubilation was short-lived. After trying to make a payment multiple times and experiencing an equal number of error messages, he decided to give it a rest and revisit the transaction later.

View attachment 26520
After experiencing multiple error messages, Jason said he decided to try again later, only to have his card declined at the shops the next day. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

At that moment, it dawned on him that something was badly amiss. That's when he realised his account was overdrawn.

‘I’m out by $8,977.20,’ a distraught Jason stated, further saying that one of his bank accounts is currently overdrawn by six thousand dollars.

Jason took the next logical step by getting in touch with the Qantas customer service team.

However, he wasn’t given any definitive explanation or resolution for the deduction or his overdrawn account. It is also unclear why the money was charged from his account if it wasn’t in exchange for plane tickets.

‘I have not been given an indication of the reason why they have actually made the transaction,’ he shared.

It is understood that the money was, for a time, in the hands of Qantas. However, it has since been released. Jason and his bank are still determining its location and when it could be credited back into Jason's account. It is also understood that Qantas is attempting to locate the missing funds.

‘They've offered me the tickets at the sale price. So, they will honour that,’ Jason explained. This is little comfort to him, however, with the primary concern being the mysterious missing amount of cash—the exact sum he intended to pay for the tickets to begin with.

Jason also pointed out that he has no idea when he can expect the tickets for their trip since the money is ‘floating’ somewhere. He claimed he was not given a timeline for a solution either.

With his bank account having a shortage of $5,975, the anxious dad stated he wouldn’t be able to ‘see a penny’ of his pay soon. This also led him to borrow money from his friend.

‘If I don't have access to that money when I have all my direct debits occur when my mortgage repayment gets paid, I'm actually not going to have any expendable cash to be able to do that,’ he concluded.

‘I'm not destitute, but you know, it's been difficult over the last four days or so because I've had to put my life on hold until this is resolved. It's causing a lot of anxiety; I don't know if I'll ever see that money again.’

This worrying account serves as a good reminder for our readers: always double-check those bank statements after making any large transactions, and don’t hesitate to get in touch with your bank or the vendor if something doesn't look quite right.

In similar instances of payment errors, checking your bank account balance via your bank’s application or online also wouldn’t hurt before trying again.
Key Takeaways

• Geelong dad Jason Wilson ended up out of pocket by $8,977.20 after his attempts to book Qantas flights led to multiple unexpected charges.
  • Despite contacting Qantas customer care numerous times, Wilson claims he has received no definite resolution or explanation.
  • It is understood that Qantas took temporary possession of the funds, which are now unaccounted for, and steps are being taken to locate the money.
  • The financial fallout from the unresolved issue has caused significant anxiety for Wilson, who cannot access his pay and has resorted to borrowing money from friends.
Remember, friends, financial safety is as important as physical safety in this digital era.

What’s your opinion on this story? Have you ever experienced something similar? Comment it below!
Taxpayers bailed Qantas out of receivership and now they make billions in profit, Taxpayers should own Qantas, our government sucks the big one.

A similar thing happened to me when I was ordering something on line, but not as much monery as Jasons. I went into the pay section and then noticed I had selected a acredit card that had been closed, so I did not press the last button to put it through and cancelled the request. So thinking it had been removed I then ordered it again using the correct Credit Card. However when I checked my statement the order had gone through twice. Even the one to the incorrect number Credit Crd went through to my new Credit Card. This was a big shock, as the Credit Card people has already rejected another automatic payment that I had forgotten to change the CC number. They did reimburse me, however it should never have happened in the first place.

View attachment 26519

View attachment 26520

Key Takeaways

We used to pay our health fund annually, just before the increases, by direct debit. One year they took it out twice ($10000). They couldn’t find where the second charge went. Our local branch kept trying to to find out for us. After 3 months a customer went into the local branch asking why he had extra payments made. Head office THEN found they had deposited our 2nd deduction into his account. We got 4 weeks bonus for our stress.

Nothing quite like a digital electronic system for screwing up something such as making payments through a website or internet!

Cash across the counter, or payment by personal or bank cheque, is more efficient as it keeps the transaction under the control of the person making the payment.

Our sporting club holds a Qantas covid credit for about $850. When I went to use the credit earlier this year there was an extra $25 to pay. All was well and I hit pay. I then found that they had charged the entire $880 to my card. I called Qantas and was told that they couldn't/wouldn't cancel and rebook using the credit because we had booked a Red-e fare. The club had to pay the $880 and we still have a credit that is due to expire in 4 months.

They screw people all the time, same as they were given a bit of power after 911 and it went to their heads, if you complain they ban you from flying, all airlines are shite.

Reactions: Macarj

View attachment 26519

View attachment 26520

Key Takeaways

Qantas nothing wrong here we are thieving bastards 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: Robbo3006
I'll bet all that taxpayers money that went to bail them out is now in shareholders bank accounts, I also bet the major shareholders are politicians or asshats that donate to major political parties, so our money was used to fatten already fat bank accounts. Out government needs to answer for this corruption.