Qantas and Jetstar slammed for ‘clearly unfair’ conditions of COVID flight credits deadline extension

News about the pandemic was so abrupt and overwhelming that it made the whole world stop in its tracks. Lives were lost, businesses shut down, and heightened restrictions filled our days with doom and gloom. One of the industries that were hit hard by the effects of the pandemic was international and domestic travel – sudden flight cancellations and staff shortages made everybody miserable.

But now that restrictions have been lifted, and things are slowly going back to normal, many travellers have wondered whether they could still use their unused flight credits. Two airlines, Qantas and Jetstar, agreed and said they’d extended the expiry date on COVID flight credits – but there’s a catch.

National carrier Qantas, and budget subsidiary Jetstar Airlines, announced that customers have 12 more months to use their COVID flight credits for international and domestic travel.

Customers were given flight credits because of the constantly changing border closures and COVID-19 cases. This is the third time the deadline has been extended, with about $800,000 million of the $2 billion in credits still unused.

It was reported that Qantas customers who found their travel plans cancelled due to the pandemic would be required to book their flights by the end of this year.

This means that they can use the credits to travel until the end of 2024 if the trip is booked by December 31, 2023. For example, customers could plan ahead to travel for August next year but would need to book the flight in advance by the end of this year.

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 1.50.32 PM.png
Qantas and Jetstar customers must book their flights this year and complete their travel by December 2024. Source: Pascal Borener/Pexels

Even though they have been accused of inflexible refund policies and poor customer service since air travel resumed, Qantas stood by its refund and credit policies. They stated that all customers whose flights were cancelled because of border restrictions were eligible for a cash refund of their credit should they prefer.

However, this new credit system received criticism from the consumer advocacy group CHOICE, who said that the conditions of the new policy remain ‘clearly unfair’.

Patrick Veyret, Head of Policy and Government Relations at CHOICE, said: ‘The intense public outrage in response has clearly had some impact on the airline — but there's much more to do to make all credits workable for all consumers.’

But Qantas Group Chief Customer Officer Markus Svensson said the change was made to make it easier for customers who were upset by flight cancellations and border closures to use their credit.

‘We literally had millions of bookings that were cancelled during several waves of lockdowns and border closures,’ he shared.

Mr Svensson added: ‘No airline had systems that were designed to manage that in a seamless way, and we realise there's been frustration for some customers as a result. Our main goal is for everyone with COVID credits to be able to put it to good use, which is why we're doing one final extension of the travel expiry date by 12 months.’

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 1.50.41 PM.png
Consumer advocacy group CHOICE slammed the new policy. Source: Pascal Borener/Pexels

A recent analysis showed that 76 per cent of flight credits are worth less than $500, 24 per cent of credits are worth between $500 and $5,000, and less than 1 per cent are worth more than $5,000.

According to CHOICE, ‘customers holding credits for international flights don't have the option of spreading the credits across several domestic flights’.

They explained: ‘For instance, if you have $500 worth of credits for a Sydney to Melbourne flight and the price is now $475, you wouldn't be able to use the credit, even if you waived the $25 loss. Instead, you'd have to buy a new ticket and leave your credit untouched.’

CHOICE added that customers holding credits for international flights don’t have the option of ‘spreading the credits across several domestic flights’ if they booked after September 30, 2021.

‘Some of these customers, for reasons such as advanced age or declining health, may no longer plan to fly internationally.’

Mr Veyret explained further: ‘Some Qantas flight credits can only be used for a booking of equivalent or greater value — so if you have a $300 flight credit, you can't use it to book a $290 flight.’

He claimed that this leads customers to complain that when they go to re-book a flight at the same time on the same route, they’re made to pay ‘significantly more’ when using credit than if they paid for the original flight.

‘Flight credits should work like gift cards. People should have the choice to transfer the credits to other people, as well as split the credits over a number of transactions,’ Mr Veyret stated.

CHOICE has filed a complaint with the ACCC, calling out potentially misleading and deceptive conduct in Qantas' credit redemption policy.

Key Takeaways
  • Qantas and Jetstar have extended the deadline for COVID flight credits for international and domestic travel by 12 months until December 2024.
  • A recent analysis shows 76 per cent of COVID credits are worth less than $500.
  • Consumer advocacy group CHOICE criticised the airline’s approach, as well as months of lost luggage and long call-wait times.
  • Critics say some conditions of the COVID credits remain 'clearly unfair' and that customers should have the choice to transfer the credits to other people, as well as split the credits over a number of transactions.

Do you have any Qantas or Jetstar credits left to use? Have you come across any issues or encountered any difficulties when trying to use them? Share your experiences below in the comments.

Sponsored
I didn’t have any credits as I didn’t book any flights during Covid, but Qantas did take all my Flybuys point as I didn’t fly during Covid. And they won’t give them back to me.

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I booked a QANTAS flight on 15th January 2022 for my brother and his partner to visit from the UK from 1st April to 29th April that year using the direct London to Perth flight. This flight was COVID‑cancelled by QANTAS on 17th February and I was given the option of rebooking or taking a full refund of the booking price of $5,835 for the two return tickets plus “Premium service”. I opted for a refund on 18th February. To date, 13 months on, despite numerous emails and telephone calls I am still awaiting my refund. QANTAS refuse to deal with me direct as I booked through eDreams on line. Even more contacts with eDreams have simply resulted in very many broken promises to call back and outright lies in claiming they have requested a refund on my behalf, though QANTAS say they have not received any such claim. What am I to do? (Beyond recommending everyone I speak to not to deal with on-line travel agents, that is.) Will I lose the possibility of getting my money back if this ridiculously prolonged saga is unresolved by 31st December? Other consumer organisations and government agencies are simply not interested, but $5000+ is a considerable loss for a couple of pensioners to stand. Help!!?
Sue Winfield

Reactions: Ezzy and Helenmac
I booked a QANTAS flight on 15th January 2022 for my brother and his partner to visit from the UK from 1st April to 29th April that year using the direct London to Perth flight. This flight was COVID‑cancelled by QANTAS on 17th February and I was given the option of rebooking or taking a full refund of the booking price of $5,835 for the two return tickets plus “Premium service”. I opted for a refund on 18th February. To date, 13 months on, despite numerous emails and telephone calls I am still awaiting my refund. QANTAS refuse to deal with me direct as I booked through eDreams on line. Even more contacts with eDreams have simply resulted in very many broken promises to call back and outright lies in claiming they have requested a refund on my behalf, though QANTAS say they have not received any such claim. What am I to do? (Beyond recommending everyone I speak to not to deal with on-line travel agents, that is.) Will I lose the possibility of getting my money back if this ridiculously prolonged saga is unresolved by 31st December? Other consumer organisations and government agencies are simply not interested, but $5000+ is a considerable loss for a couple of pensioners to stand. Help!!?
Sue Winfield
When you say, 'Other consumer ............. agencies', are you referring to your State Better Business Commissioner? This is unacceptable!

Any amount of monetary loss is unacceptable for any person but more so for us Pensioners. I hope you succeed in your claim.
Seems as Pensioners every association is out to screw us because we are seen as easy targets. Wake up out there, we will not lay down as you want us to!

Appearances are that these two airlines keep moving the goal posts to keep the fares paid & make people pay again for something already paid for.