Puzzling parcel: Aussie brushing off unsolicited delivery unboxes sinister scam

As the world has shifted more towards online shopping, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, Australians have been enjoying the convenience of having everything from groceries to gadgets delivered right to their doorsteps.

However, this new era of digital commerce has also given rise to some perplexing and potentially harmful scams.

One such scam has left many Aussies scratching their heads.

Imagine the surprise when you receive a package you don't remember ordering. It arrives with no return address, no packing slip, just a box with your name on it.

This is what happened to Sydney resident Tash, who found herself holding a parcel containing cheap clothing items she had never purchased.

The items, which included cheetah print tops and three-quarter-length pants, were not even the right size for anyone in her household.

compressed-shutterstock_2439874265.jpeg
Australians are receiving unsolicited items delivered to their homes in a scam called ‘brushing’. Credits: Shutterstock

Confused, Tash double-checked the name and address listed on the package, and confirmed that they matched her accurate information.

‘I thought it might be a scam,’ Tash recalled.

‘I googled the sender and address and nothing came up.’

However, upon closer inspection and posting on social media for advice, it became clear that something more sinister was at play.

Apparently, Tash's experience was not an isolated incident. Across Australia, individuals are reporting similar occurrences of receiving unsolicited items in the mail, ranging from cheap apparel to low-quality sunglasses.

So, what's going on here? Welcome to the world of a particular type of scam known as 'brushing'.

This scam involves online sellers sending free items to unsuspecting recipients.

The catch? These sellers then use your name to post fake glowing reviews of their products, boosting their retail profile and deceiving potential customers with inflated ratings and artificial sales history.

Cybersecurity Expert Simon Smith explained that brushing is a tactic primarily used by sellers on marketplace sites such as Amazon and eBay.

‘It's all about misleading the public, making them look like they are getting lots of customers,’ he explained.

‘What people do is say, “I'll send something worth six cents.” It's relatively useless, but I've sent it.’

‘You didn't ask for it, but it doesn't matter. Now, I'll just get my backyard review team to write reviews, based on these fake sales. That will promote us more, make us look big, and then we can get more and more customers,’ he added.

According to Mr Smith, brushing scams first emerged at the start of the pandemic in 2020, as many new retailers jumped on the online shopping bandwagon.

Since then, the practice has become increasingly common.

‘It's nothing horrendous in the sense that they're not stealing anything off you,’ Mr Smith said.

‘So, in itself, it's not that bad—but, when combined with other things, it can be bad.’

However, he warned that the real danger lies in the potential for scammers to link a person’s name and address to more sensitive information, such as their date of birth.

‘You can often easily get that type of information by looking at Facebook “Happy Birthday” (messages),’ Mr Smith cautioned.

‘Name, address, and date of birth—that opens up the door for fraud and for other heinous sort of things that can happen.’

‘To individuals, (brushing) is a warning sign that should trigger people to think—this is my reminder to clean up my online presence,’ he continued.

However, Tash mentioned that she is still uncertain about how the sellers had obtained her information online.

‘I'm wondering how they got my name and address,’ she said, also intending to remove other personal information on social media.

As Australians puzzle over the mysterious arrival of unsolicited items in their mail, such as free brushes and other unexpected parcels, a cautionary tale previously emerged about the dangers of accepting these unrequested gifts.

While the allure of a complimentary gift might be tempting, consumers are urged to exercise caution, as activating such devices could potentially expose them to privacy risks and online scams.
Key Takeaways
  • Australians are receiving unsolicited items delivered to their homes, with the incident known as a 'brushing' scam.
  • Brushing is a scheme where sellers send items to random people, then post fake reviews online to boost their retail profile.
  • Cybersecurity Expert Simon Smith warned that while brushing itself is relatively benign, it could indicate personal details have been accessed, raising the risk of further fraud.
  • Recipients of such packages were advised to be cautious and consider tightening their online privacy settings to prevent misuse of their personal information.
Have you or someone you know been a victim of a brushing scam? What is your advice on addressing this scheme? Share your experiences and insights in the comments below.

Sponsored
Imagine the surprise when you receive a package you don't remember ordering. It arrives with no return address, no packing slip, just a box with your name on it.

Anybody else notice the anomaly between these two statements? How did "Tash" know what to Google if there were no return address or packing slip with the parcel? :unsure:

Reactions: Jersey Girl

Anybody else notice the anomaly between these two statements? How did "Tash" know what to Google if there were no return address or packing slip with the parcel? :unsure:
veggiepatch, did you just make a blunder?