Pub renames classic dish to make it “gender-neutral,” sparks heated debate online

A pub in the UK was accused of “wokeness” after it decided to change the name of a beloved dish to make it “gender-neutral”.

According to the UK publication, The Mirror, a pub in Devon has renamed the classic ploughman’s lunch to ploughperson’s lunch, ditching the “man” and changing it to “person” instead, in an effort to avoid offending people here in the age of gender sensitivity.

However, it seems like the pub’s bold decision managed to spark a heated discussion online, with several Brits and lovers of the historic dish expressing their different opinions.

_CThB9gyAiohJ5zevwU10qVdVKgNYE4-P525ppwbf2THlPsSo5E8cAJ6pv_n44SqUj0iPAemsxT1_YZ0qaNyes20N-Nhwacm3ZpwtW16Ag2W3ERgz3U-YMlsV-XJSykPXmm-Py39

One pub in the UK has been hit with accusations of “wokeness” after it renamed a classic dish. Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto.
If you’re not familiar with the dish, a classic ploughman’s lunch is made up of cheese, pickles, cold cuts like ham, relishes and sourdough bread.

The simple and well-loved dish has survived for centuries, and has been the go-to meal for rural labourers and farmers working the fields.

It contains several generations' worth of history, and is a pub and cafe staple today.

That is probably why hundreds of users on the internet are clamouring about the name change, shouting that the ‘woke’ culture has gone too far.

Taking to Twitter, one Brit posted a photo of the pub’s menu, along with her sentiments on the matter.

“The world is off its rocker and quite frankly I'm sick of it,” she wrote in her tweet.

The woman’s post attracted a ton of attention from fellow Brits and pub goers, gaining over a thousand retweets and likes in a span of a few days. Most of the users agreed with her that the historic dish should simply be left alone.

“Oh wow. This is something else,” wrote one user. “Can only hope it's a joke but I think that's wishful thinking on my part..”

Another tweeted: “I’d leave and go somewhere else.”

A third user said: “As a woman, it has never bothered or caused me anguish ordering a ploughman's lunch, and it insults my intelligence that someone feels the need to have this reframed for me. This is just plain silly.”

After the huge wave of backlash they received, Dicky Harrison, one of the minds behind the controversial name change, said: “The menu item was just meant as a bit of tongue in cheek.”

“We live in a farming community with amazing women and men farming the land. It’s just a bit of fun and a nod to the amazing ladies who work the land here,” he said.

“I didn’t think it would cause offence, but in reality, women plough too!”

What are your thoughts, folks?

Do you think the name change is harmless and innocent? Or do you think some people are taking this whole “gender-neutral naming” thing too far?

Sponsored
A plowman's lunch is bread, cheese and a pickled onion or two. The bread should be a huge chunk of fresh, crusty loaf, the cheese a chunk of local cheddar and usually a sweet spiced pickled onion or two. For the wusses out there some will also offer a freshly churned butter. Washed down with a local beer or cider it is a meal fit for the gods!!:love:

There used to be a small restaurant in Murrurundi NSW called the "RED ROSE" it was a favourite place for truckies because the ploughman's lunch was more that what a normal person could eat in one meal . Pitty it closed.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Pub renames classic dish to make it “gender-neutral,” sparks heated debate online

A pub in the UK was accused of “wokeness” after it decided to change the name of a beloved dish to make it “gender-neutral”.

According to the UK publication, The Mirror, a pub in Devon has renamed the classic ploughman’s lunch to ploughperson’s lunch, ditching the “man” and changing it to “person” instead, in an effort to avoid offending people here in the age of gender sensitivity.

However, it seems like the pub’s bold decision managed to spark a heated discussion online, with several Brits and lovers of the historic dish expressing their different opinions.

_CThB9gyAiohJ5zevwU10qVdVKgNYE4-P525ppwbf2THlPsSo5E8cAJ6pv_n44SqUj0iPAemsxT1_YZ0qaNyes20N-Nhwacm3ZpwtW16Ag2W3ERgz3U-YMlsV-XJSykPXmm-Py39

One pub in the UK has been hit with accusations of “wokeness” after it renamed a classic dish. Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto.
If you’re not familiar with the dish, a classic ploughman’s lunch is made up of cheese, pickles, cold cuts like ham, relishes and sourdough bread.

The simple and well-loved dish has survived for centuries, and has been the go-to meal for rural labourers and farmers working the fields.

It contains several generations' worth of history, and is a pub and cafe staple today.

That is probably why hundreds of users on the internet are clamouring about the name change, shouting that the ‘woke’ culture has gone too far.

Taking to Twitter, one Brit posted a photo of the pub’s menu, along with her sentiments on the matter.

“The world is off its rocker and quite frankly I'm sick of it,” she wrote in her tweet.

The woman’s post attracted a ton of attention from fellow Brits and pub goers, gaining over a thousand retweets and likes in a span of a few days. Most of the users agreed with her that the historic dish should simply be left alone.

“Oh wow. This is something else,” wrote one user. “Can only hope it's a joke but I think that's wishful thinking on my part..”

A third user said: “As a woman, it has never bothered or caused me anguish ordering a ploughman's lunch, and it insults my intelligence that someone feels the need to have this reframed for me. This is just plain silly.”

After the huge wave of backlash they received, Dicky Harrison, one of the minds behind the controversial name change, said: “The menu item was just meant as a bit of tongue in cheek.”

“We live in a farming community with amazing women and men farming the land. It’s just a bit of fun and a nod to the amazing ladies who work the land here,” he said.

Do you think the name change is harmless and innocent? Or do you think some people are taking this whole “gender-neutral naming” thing too far?

Although the ingredients are "centuries old", the specific term "Ploughman's Lunch" was created by the UK's Cheese Bureau in the 1950s as a marketing project, so it's not even one century old.

Although the ingredients are "centuries old", the specific term "Ploughman's Lunch" was created by the UK's Cheese Bureau in the 1950s as a marketing project, so it's not even one century old.
The term Ploughmans's Lunch was popularised in the 1950's it but the meal itself is ancient. Way back when the concept of lunch was unknown there was talk of the Ploughman's meal. Pierce the Ploughman's Crede (c. 1394) mentions the traditional ploughman's meal of bread, cheese, and beer.

The term Ploughmans's Lunch was popularised in the 1950's it but the meal itself is ancient. Way back when the concept of lunch was unknown there was talk of the Ploughman's meal. Pierce the Ploughman's Crede (c. 1394) mentions the traditional ploughman's meal of bread, cheese, and beer.
You agreed that the term "Ploughman's Lunch" dates from the 1950's and I already stated that the ingredients are centuries old. What point are you making?

The next thing you know will be you have to show your work status to be able to purchase the Ploughmans/Ploughpersons Lunch. How far does this stupidity go.

Our local in Tassie had a ploughmans lunch a big pastry and vegetables????😃🇦🇺👍