Protect yourself: Expert tricks to dodge aggressive magpies this swooping season!

As the Australian springtime heralds the return of warmer weather and blooming flowers, it also marks the beginning of a less welcome annual event: magpie swooping season.

Known for their dramatic aerial attacks, magpies can pose a risk to pedestrians and cyclists alike.

To help you stay safe during this annual event, it's crucial to be aware of effective strategies and precautions to avoid attracting their ire.

The magpie swooping season, which typically spans from September to October, sees these otherwise majestic birds become territorial defenders of their nests, leading to increased incidents of swooping on unsuspecting passersby.

‘They attack for a very particular reason: they have a job to do,’ Griffith University School of Environment and Science Professor Darryl Jones stated.

Their ‘attack zone’ extends 100 to 200 metres from their nest, with cyclists, walkers, and runners being the most common targets.

compressed-shutterstock_2009480396.jpeg
Australia's magpie swooping season is underway, with birds becoming highly territorial during nesting. Credit: Shutterstock

Australian Wildlife Rescue Organisation (WIRES) Spokesperson John Grant explained that magpies will swoop and snap their beaks to warn off intruders.

‘They are not being aggressive just for the sake of it, and the kindest thing to do is to cross the road where possible or avoid nesting areas altogether until the chicks have fledged,’ he explained.

Australian authorities advised against approaching young magpies that have fallen from their nests and recommend not to retaliate or shout if a magpie swoops.

‘That will then prove you're a threat,’ Professor Jones warned.

Instead, it is recommended to steer clear of attack zones if you can locate their nest and generally maintain a safe distance from magpies during this season.

If you need to enter an attack zone, it’s advisable to wear protective clothing such as a hat or sunglasses and keep an eye on the magpie.

‘They always come behind you, and that's part of the deal,’ Professor Jones pointed out.

‘Keep your eyes on them and back away. They'll never attack from the front.’

Waving a stick or umbrella over your head can help deter magpies.

Cyclists are advised to use a bright flag on their bikes and attach cable ties to their helmets.

If a magpie starts swooping, remain calm and walk swiftly through the area without running. Cyclists should dismount and walk their bikes.

According to WIRES, magpie nesting season starts in September and concludes in October.

Magpie Alert has reported 1,332 swooping incidents and 152 injuries this year.

‘Only about 10 per cent of the magpies ever attack anybody…90 per cent never attack anybody,’ Professor Jones noted.

As magpie swooping season takes hold, staying informed about how to avoid attacks is crucial for your safety.

However, it's not just about dodging swoops—understanding how these clever birds adapt to urban environments can offer additional insights into their behaviour and help you navigate their territory more effectively.

For those interested in the fascinating ways magpies manage the hustle and bustle of our noisy cities, exploring their smart strategies can provide a deeper appreciation of these avian residents.
Key Takeaways
  • Australia's annual magpie swooping season is underway, with the birds becoming highly territorial during their nesting period.
  • People are advised to avoid magpie nesting areas and to take precautionary measures such as wearing hats and sunglasses to protect against swooping magpies.
  • Authorities warn against approaching young magpies on the ground and caution against fighting back during a swooping attack, as this can be perceived as a threat.
  • Magpie Alert has documented over a thousand swooping reports and multiple injuries, highlighting that while not all magpies swoop, being aware and prepared can help prevent attacks.
We are curious to hear about your encounters with magpies during the swooping season. Have you tried any of these strategies? Do you have any personal tips or stories to share? Your insights could help fellow members stay safe during this challenging time of year.

Sponsored
😮 really over a plant 😔
If you had seen what was left of the carefully tended hanging baskets that I mentioned you would have been upset as well, the complete destruction of those beautifull plants that were completely pulled apart and left lying on the ground just so they could collect some cocoanut fibre for their nests reduced me to tears, no of course I would not have shot them that was just an off the cuff remark. but I could have quite cheerfully strangled them once I stopped crying!

Be careful of your eyes. I know someone who had his eye pecked out by one. Wear sunglasses that wrap around. One swooped and attacked my daughter's head on her way to school in Brisbane. She came home with her head bleeding. I would carry an umbrella.

Be careful of your eyes. I know someone who had his eye pecked out by one. Wear sunglasses that wrap around. One swooped and attacked my daughter's head on her way to school in Brisbane. She came home with her head bleeding. I would carry an umbrella.
😮 really they lost an eye how awful for them 😢

• Sad
Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Magpies are not the only bird that swoop. There is another one - a brownish colour one, smaller and has yellow around its eyes that also swoops that has a shorter but very sharp beak. In fact their shorter very narrow pointy beak does more damage than a magpie does.

Magpies are not the only bird that swoop. There is another one - a brownish colour one, smaller and has yellow around its eyes that also swoops that has a shorter but very sharp beak. In fact their shorter very narrow pointy beak does more damage than a magpie does.
Sounds like yellow billed magpies to me like the cartoon characters “heckle and jeckle” were based on but I’ve never heard of them swooping ever🤔

• Haha
I've had magpies come to my front door for years! They chortle to call me to feed them every day. I've even had one come into the kitchen to look for me when the front door was left open! Never been swooped!

• Haha