Protect your wallet! Learn about the latest scam email targeting Spotify users

In this digital age, scams are becoming increasingly sophisticated, and even the most tech-savvy among us can fall victim.

From phishing attempts to other fraudulent schemes, these deceptive messages pose a serious risk to our personal and financial security.

Recently, Spotify Premium users have been targeted by a particularly deceptive scam email designed to trick customers into revealing their payment details.

Scamwatch issued a warning about this fraudulent activity, urging Australians to be vigilant and cautious when dealing with emails that appear to be from streaming and media service platform Spotify.

The scam email was cleverly designed to mimic an official Spotify communication, complete with the company's logo and a seemingly legitimate message about payment processing issues.

The email reads, 'Your payment method is not working, and we were unable to collect your payment.'

‘This could be due to the following reasons: There is a problem with your bank, your payment has expired, [or] there is not enough money in your account.’

compressed-shutterstock_1882602322.jpeg
Scamwatch warned Aussie Spotify users about a fraudulent email being sent to steal their credit card details. Credits: Shutterstock

The email then warns recipients that they risk losing access to Spotify Premium unless they update their payment details.

A link is provided for users to update their details, but this is where the scam truly takes effect.

‘It links to a form that asks for credit card details, which are then stolen,’ Scamwatch warned.

‘Don’t tap links in emails unless you’re sure it’s [legitimate].’

Spotify made it clear that it will never ask customers for personal information, such as payment information or passwords, over email.

While the streaming giant does send emails about account activity to keep users safe, these are limited to notifications about new logins or new family or duo members.

If users notice any activity they do not recognise, they can seek help from Spotify.

Any legitimate email from Spotify will come from an address that ends in '@spotify.com'.

If you received a suspicious email, Spotify advised, ‘Don’t respond to, click any links, or download anything in the email.’

‘If you already did, reset your password.’

‘Change your password on any other sites where you use the same password.’

‘Contact your bank if you think your financial details have been compromised,’ they added.

It is advised to forward any suspicious emails to the Spotify team at [email protected].

This is not the first time that scammers tried this on unsuspecting victims.

In 2023, Mailguard also issued a warning about another scam email to Spotify users with an alarming subject line: ‘Spotify: We’re unable to bill you’. You can read the full details here.

Stay vigilant, stay safe, and keep enjoying your favourite tunes on Spotify without falling prey to scams.

Key Takeaways
  • Scamwatch issued a warning to Spotify Premium users in Australia about scam emails that claim there are payment issues.
  • The fraudulent emails impersonated Spotify, using the company’s logo, and prompted users to update their payment details through a link that steals credit card information.
  • Spotify clarified that it does not ask customers for personal details such as payment information or passwords via email, and any official communication will come from an address ending in '@spotify.com'.
  • Users were advised not to respond to or click on any suspicious links, and to reset their passwords if they have interacted with the scam email. They were also suggested to contact their bank if they suspect their financial details are compromised, and report suspicious emails to [email protected].

Have you encountered this scam or any others recently? Share your experiences and tips for staying safe online in the comments below.

Sponsored
*sigh* this is old. Other big companies like Paypal has been targeted as well with the same old same messages. If people by now, still fall this old messages, then I have no hope for them. I get these messages on a daily basis from companies I don't even know. I got one just middle of February saying my Netflix payment didn't go through and unless I make a payment I will lose my Netflix & they gave me a link to click on. I blocked this message, and NO my Netflix wasn't due for a payment till yesterday! and I didn't lose my Netflix at all. :mad::devilish:

Yes I have had multiple emails from Spotify and I don't have a Spotify acccount. Just delete them. I am getting tired of all the scam emails and most of the texts are going straight into junk by Telstra.

I was having messages from 'Spotify' and I had a Spotify account. It was pretty hard to distinguish the real Spotify messages. In the end I cancelled my subscription.

*sigh* this is old. Other big companies like Paypal has been targeted as well with the same old same messages. If people by now, still fall this old messages, then I have no hope for them. I get these messages on a daily basis from companies I don't even know. I got one just middle of February saying my Netflix payment didn't go through and unless I make a payment I will lose my Netflix & they gave me a link to click on. I blocked this message, and NO my Netflix wasn't due for a payment till yesterday! and I didn't lose my Netflix at all. :mad::devilish:
I got the Netflix one regularly for a while there. Common sense says check the bank as first option and of course never click on a link

Reactions: Liz and DLHM
Readers should be aware that these scam emails also come with the "@spotify.com" in the address line. I have received two emails with this address. On the first, I contacted Spotify who eventually advised me that there were no problems with my account. Please note that the address line can look 100% accurate.

I predict that in 4-5 yrs the internet will be looked at like "door knockers" and wont be used as much as now..merchants are actively seeking ways to remove their liability (some banks have achieved this allready). I never REPLY to e mails ...I RESPOND..by contacting via MY e mail addresses as per MY address book....these scammers RELY on the victim using the address in the e mail they sendto you

AGAIN THIS IS SO EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IF THE MESSAGE CONTAINS A LINK, IT'S A SCAM.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Wandiwa
I keep getting a very similar email from Netflix. Looks legitimate but I always look at email address of sender and this one definitely isn't Netflix.

I keep getting a very similar email from Netflix. Looks legitimate but I always look at email address of sender and this one definitely isn't Netflix.
I also get Netflix ones even tho' I don't have Netflix. Email address of sender's always a good clue to see whether message is genuine or a scam. I also always report scams to the Aus. Govt. website https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam.

Reactions: Liz and Wandiwa
DO NOT CLICK ANY LINKS BY EMAIL OR TEXT PEOPLE ....If you need to check something go through the company app and check if you have any notifications from them. The scams are so sophisticated these days.